RDP Logout and SP3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RDP Logout and SP3

Just finished upgrading my XPPro HS Server with SP3 and installed a patch/hack to allow for multiple RDP sessions. I'd been using a similar hack for some time with SP2.

I can successfully log into my home's HS2 machine from work now, but I'm having difficulities returning the machine to the console session. With SP2, I would use the command

tscon.exe 0 /dest:console

However, with SP3 I get a message that it "could not connect sessionID 0 to sessionname console" with an error code of 7054.

Has anyone else run into this issue?
    Regards, Bob

Let us know if you find the fix for this as I was about to upgrade to SP3 and use the same command to sever my RDP session.
    -Rupp
    sigpic

Comment

Guys it works fine here with no issues.

Thom

Comment

I upgraded my HomeSeer computer to Windows SP3 sometime back and do not see the issue you are describing.
        Billy Draper

Comment

I have seen that error when there is already a console sessions running when you try to end your rdp session by sending it back to the console.

StevenE
          Why oh why didn't I just leave things alone, they had been working.

Comment

Guys,

Thanks for the replys. I think I got it fixed by using a different version of termsvr.dll. I now believe SP2 and SP3 can use the same hacked version of the dll. I tried a different version that I found on the net when I upgraded and that seems to have caused the problems I was having.
            Regards, Bob

Comment

Here is the fix!

Use this instead: %windir%\System32\tscon.exe 1 /dest:console

We are currently using: %windir%\System32\tscon.exe 0 /dest:console. The '0' instructs Windows to take session 0 (the pre SP3 remote desktop session id) and connect it to the console (desktop.) Microsoft has made a security change in XPSP3, Vista and Server2008 where remote desktop session do not log in as session 0. The first RD session number is now assigned as 1.
              You can verify this by:
              1) connect to your remote machine using remote desktop
              2) run Task Manager (on the remote machine)
              3) go to the 'Processes' tab, then View/Select Columns...
              4) check the 'Session ID' checkbox, then click OK.

In the Session ID column you will now see some session 0 processes (these are system services), but all the user stuff should be in session 1 (or maybe higher.)

If you're running HS under Vista or Server 2008 you may also be able to use this: %windir%\System32\tscon.exe %sessionname% /dest:console
              Last edited by mfisher; March 19, 2009, 10:24 AM.
              Best regards,
              -Mark-

If you're not out on the edge, you're taking up too much room!
              Interested in 3D maps? Check out my company site: Solid Terrain Modeling

Comment

Working...
              X