Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sdanks
    replied
    Well, I got broken into again. This time, the security camera on the front door caught some good pictures. But the first guy walked up with his head turned down and felt around for the camera and pushed it to the side. It turned to the window, and got beautiful reflections off the window of the two burglars walking around on the porch. They evidently knocked and when no one came to the door, they went around to the side door and kicked it in. This is on the instant alarm zone, so it went off immediately, and they ran in and went into the master bedroom, and pulled out the drawers looking for money/gun/jewelry. They took my Police badge and Police Radio from the top of the dresser. I keep the gun belt locked up in a safe because of the kids and their friends. So it didnt get stolen. They were in here only a minute or so. I cant say enough about a very loud alarm system.

But what I learned. Remember from previous posts I bought a commercial grade dvr. So I gave a copy of the video to the officer investigating this, and I realized that if I had a hidden camera I would have picked up the entire facial profile of the burglars. I think if you have enough cameras, you could put one on the front door, and then one on the porch so it would get their faces as they turn around to leave. I will have to put the other ones up and hide them better so I can get at least one picture of future bad guys. Prevention is the best method, so I will be getting signs to put in the yard and as I integrate Homeseer, I will put my outdoor beams up to trigger announcements outside etc. I will also have it send a text to my pager/cell so I will know when someone is in the area. The Postman comes to the front everyday, but I could script that with a button for when he opens the mailbox to not page me in that instance. But still record.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Q
    replied
    Ian,

I just returned my security camera to the manufacturer. After about a month, the picture quality deteriorated to the point of being useless. I think it may be related to bright light from a reflection of the sun off the water of a nearby pond shortly after sunrise. I think any security camera should be sheilded from the sun shining directly into the lens.

Steve Q

Leave a comment:

• sdanks
    replied
    Originally posted by completelyhis View Post
    Nightwalker - I'd be ok with the second option you presented, but would likely end up with the first option. I agree that bedrooms would be a hard sell, and I don't know how what I'd tell guests! I was thinking that if I did any indoor cameras, they would be in the living room type area, again, just for security and all.

assuming i don't put any cameras on the inside, how is it that you get the cameras to activate on the outside? Do you have HS controlled motions on the outside, or are there motions hooked up to the camera system, or both?

Ian
    I had a $4,400 52" LCD, 120 hz refresh, Sony LCD stolen from my house while we slept on Friday night. I miss my home automation, and my wife does too. (By the way, I will run a 24 loop wire from the alarm system to the TV next time.) WE moved to dad's to help him until he passed away at 90 yrs old. But anyway, I sprang for a 2k$ industrial DVR and 8 cameras. I plan to use those at my new house. The DVR puts a grid up on the screen, and you select which pixels for it to monitor. Then you select a sensitivity from 1-5, and how much time it goes back in time when it senses motion, and how far forward after motion stops. I can see the mailman pull up out front in the background, walk up to the house, put the mail in, and walk back and drive off and all I monitor is the area at the front steps of our house, not the street. Works great.

I can hardly wait until our new house is built. . . .

Leave a comment:

• DC
    replied
    <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
    I have 5 cameras around the external of the house, there is NO WAY the wife and 2 girls would allow ANY camera INSIDE the house.
    I agree. I have multiple outside cameras that cover the perimeter of the house, driveway, shop, etc. but none inside. I think it would creep people out to know there are cameras inside the house. In fact, I make a point of telling our friends "there are NO cameras anywhere inside the house". I think if they knew there was one in the living room, for example, it would be natural to wonder where else there was one -- bedroom, bathroom, etc. We had guests that stayed with us for a couple of weeks and they asked specifically, in a joking way but I'm sure they were partly serious, "there isn't a camera in the bedroom, is there"? It's reasurring to know that there are no cameras anywhere inside the house.

For the purposes of security / law enforcement, I think cameras outside are sufficient. If you have a burglary and something inside your house is damaged or stolen, if you have recorded video of someone you don't know prowling around outside, and especially if you record him breaking in and/or leaving, that would be plenty for the police to use. You wouldn't have to have video of him inside the house also.

Leave a comment:

• FarmerGiles
    replied
    I've had cameras in two houses for over a year now. Interior security cams work best covering staircase (crooks find it difficult to avoid these to get to the cash hidden under the bed). Exterior cams work best when pointed at the house rather than away from it, so fix to perimeter walls, trees, etc (which complicates cabling). It's also more reassuring to be able to look AT the house, instead of the garden path.

Wish the netcam plugin could stream images...

Leave a comment:

• tmcgowan
    replied
    I use 13 CCTV cameras to provide external house parimeter coverage as well as in our basement utility room. The only other cameras we have inside the house are:

- Our dog Sasha's room (Laundry room) - Panasonic BL-C20
    - Fishtank cam - Panasonic BLC1A
    - on vacation I place a camera in the kitchen that can also view various parts of the 1st floor living space - Panasonic BB-HCM581

The BB-HCM581 is great to use to check in on the house, since it can turn almost 365 degrees and has a 30x optical zoom lense. Just to make sure we unplugged the toaster before heading out the door!

Leave a comment:

• jackpod
    replied
    Originally posted by completelyhis View Post
    Hey Jack,
    I was planning on putting some cameras in places where I could catch the whole length of the house, windows, doors, etc.

good points about where & how criminals go/think.

Ian

Hi Ian,

Yes I agree that cameras maybe at each corner across the back and side of the house would work well

Too many years in network security has made me able to think like a crook

Leave a comment:

• jackpod
    replied
    Originally posted by mrhappy View Post
    Could you ask a local professional security company to survey your property and then see what they suggest/steal their ideas?
    Great line for a post about stealing/burglaries!

Leave a comment:

• mrhappy
    replied
    Having the misfortune to go to burglaries and realise how criminals have broken into properties, I would say 70-80% are via the back or side of the premises, either door/window, and unfortunately about 40% of those the point of entry was left insecure and as such they were probably avoidable.

Personally I would say cameras on all of the points of entry, driveway/pathway and an IR camera in the garden for night viewing.

Inside I would focus on less as long as you have adequate security measures (PIR's/Alarm or some other passive devices perhaps), although the garage is a good idea, you could also cover the back doors from the inside aswell, so if someone was successful at gaining entry then you would stand a second chance of seeing them inside aswell (better lit). Bedroom I would say was'nt that neccessary if you covered them getting in the first place...are you going to have a monitored alarm (sorry don't know how it works in the US...basically one where the police turn up) linked in to this aswell?

Could you ask a local professional security company to survey your property and then see what they suggest/steal their ideas?

Leave a comment:

• completelyhis
    replied
    Hey Jack,
    I was planning on putting some cameras in places where I could catch the whole length of the house, windows, doors, etc.

good points about where & how criminals go/think.

Ian

Leave a comment:

• jackpod
    replied
    I haven't gotten around to installing any cameras as of yet, at the entrances is good, but think like a criminal for a minute. Would you try to break in the front door? or the front room picture window? probably not, but you might consider the back of the house or any other hidden/obscure area around your house (back, sides) where ever there is an area that is not in direct view. All houses have windows/doors that aren't completely visible from the neighbors or the street. This is where I would put the cameras.

As far as inside cameras, yes it would be a hard sell but again, if someone did break in, the first place a criminal would go is the bedrooms as that is where people put their valuable items (jewelry, money etc) to ease the WAF (and other females in the house) have them watch the movie Colossus: The Forbin Project, even Colossus turned of it's cameras when the bedroom was occupied.

Nightwalker, at your age.... You da man!

And no, I am not a criminal... just have to think like one to protect myself from those that are

Leave a comment:

• nightwalker
    replied
    My camera's are you're basic CCTV camera's. Viewable on any TV in the house as well as a IP-9100 that lets be give them a web address. I use the motion sensor setup to snap a still pic every time motion is sensed. Beyond being able to view from within HS pages they're not really integrated. I've just never found a plug-in that works all that well yet. It would be nice to have triggers and such for camera's but that's another project down the road.

Leave a comment:

• completelyhis
    replied
    thinking about this one - 4 cameras. one at front door/front yard/driveway, one at back yard, one at side patio, and one in the garage.

THe nice thing about it is that i don't have to preinstall anything for that because it all can go through the attic and down to the HS cave in the basement.

Thanks,

Ian

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11274872&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|79|4 802&N=4001405&Mo=20&No=4&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=4802&Ns=P_P rice|0||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=

Leave a comment:

• Darth Vader
    replied
    I suppose there are different types of cameras so what kind of cameras are you thinking of installing?

I installed netcams and use the netcam plugin. The images are captured whenever their respective X10 motion sensors (tied into Homeseer) are triggered.

Leave a comment:

• completelyhis
    replied
    Nightwalker - I'd be ok with the second option you presented, but would likely end up with the first option. I agree that bedrooms would be a hard sell, and I don't know how what I'd tell guests! I was thinking that if I did any indoor cameras, they would be in the living room type area, again, just for security and all.

assuming i don't put any cameras on the inside, how is it that you get the cameras to activate on the outside? Do you have HS controlled motions on the outside, or are there motions hooked up to the camera system, or both?

Ian

Leave a comment:

Working...
X