eeeBox ... I'm a big fan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

eeeBox ... I'm a big fan

I just installed one of these puppies to run an instance of ML Client with a serial Elo touchscreen attached ... and it is definitely exceeding my expectations, especially at the price you can get it for ...

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Intel-Pro...5419703&sr=8-1

I got an extra HT2 with the intention of running ML Server and an instance of ML Client on it, however the HT2 doesn't have the graphics juice to run ML Client comfortably. I probably would've picked the eeeBox unit to run the ML Server that's currently sitting on my second HT2 (because of cost), but I know that in the long run the reliability of the fanless HT2 will probably be best. So no knock on the HT2, which I'm a huge fan of!

The eeeBox is whisper quiet, has a tiny footprint (much smaller than the Thinkpad it replaced (even if I positioned the Thinkpad vertical), surprisingly powerful hardware, easy setup (XP) and is a fantastic value at $300.

A couple of notes:
    - it has no serial port, so I had to buy a single USB serial cable conversion, which works great
    - it has no VGA port, but comes with a DVI to VGA converter (so no need to buy a converter separately like I did)
    - it also comes with a wall mounting kit (intended to mount on the back of a standard VESA compliant TV), but if you're looking for an easy way to mount the puppy on the wall, it comes with the unit

I haven't checked power consumption on the unit, but my guess is that it's very reasonable ... I'll post back when I do

I had never used any of the prior Asus products, but I'm a big fan of this one.

I would want to know if it generates lots of heat (could it be INSIDE the wall cavity)

how much current does it use from the power supply (could power be over the ethernet cable? with a break out?)

Would this be a good device that you never have to physically touch, as in supporting wake on lan, etc. If it's in the wall I don't want to have to fish it out to press a button on it because it locked up or something.
    Joe (zimmer62)

BLSecurtiy, AC-RF2, RCS Serial Thermostats, RFXCOM SMarthome SwitchLinc, mcsXap, Global Cache GC100, SqueezeBox, TWA_ONKYOINTEGRA, BLLogMonitor, BLPlugins, BLRadar, BLSpeech, BLZLog.aspx, HSTouch (Windows, iPhone, iPod), USB Mimo touchscreens, VMWare Server, Vortexbox, Windows Home Server, MyMovies, Windows Media Center, X10, ZWave, and much much much more.

Comment

Have had this up and running for a couple of weeks, so let me share a couple of thoughts on those questions:

- first, I am really impressed with the uptime with the unit (so far, it has been up 100% of the time without fail)
      - it generates very little heat ... my current unit sits in a very small cabinet (less than 1 foot of cube feet empty space), and it is not generating very much heat at all
      - however, the unit is running on XP Home Edition, so getting remote shutdown software (psshutdown etc) to work is probably not an option ... HS scripting is probably better
      - not sure if you could run it on PoE ... it consumes about 14 Watts of power fairly consistency

hope that helps

Comment

I love my EeeBox too!!!!

I replaced a PC I had in my kitchen powering a touch screen running Maestro.
        I removed the old PC and mounted the Eeebox to the wall in the laundry room (ran the touch screen cables through the kitchen wall).

Uptime has been fantastic! The built in wireless could be a touch stronger for my taste, but once Maestro is loaded (roughly 12 seconds) everything is really snappy.

I can't wait for the new Assus Touchscreen that is basicaly an Eeebox and touch screen in one.

- Dave

Comment

Originally posted by richardfj View Post
          Have had this up and running for a couple of weeks, so let me share a couple of thoughts on those questions:

- first, I am really impressed with the uptime with the unit (so far, it has been up 100% of the time without fail)
          - it generates very little heat ... my current unit sits in a very small cabinet (less than 1 foot of cube feet empty space), and it is not generating very much heat at all
          - however, the unit is running on XP Home Edition, so getting remote shutdown software (psshutdown etc) to work is probably not an option ... HS scripting is probably better
          - not sure if you could run it on PoE ... it consumes about 14 Watts of power fairly consistency

hope that helps
          There are at least two PoE standards out there. The two I have worked with are 28W and 17W (then subtract out the power loss over the cat5), and you get 26.x (I think 7?) and 14.5W.

So, just get a REALLY good power injector OR get a short cable!!

--Dan
          Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

Just got a new eeeBox and am just starting to play with it. My first test is to see if I can use it to replace my power hungry music server. Three nits so far:

1- The 80G drive is partioned 50/50. I could understand a tiny system partition + a large D drive or just a single C partition but taking such a small drive and splitting it in half? What was the logic in that?

2- The mouse cable is short. I mean really really short. I can't even picture a real world application for a mouse with a cable as short as this.

3- The 2 usb ports behind the front flap door are not handy. It would have been better to have all 4 usb ports on the back... especially since you immediately use up 2 of them for the keyboard and mouse.

Comment

Originally posted by upstatemike View Post
              you immediately use up 2 of them [USB ports] for the keyboard and mouse.
              Will in run VNC? If so, I'd attach a keyboard and mouse only for special situations.
              Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
              HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Sure it will run VNC, or better yet Kavoom. The partition arrangement is really the biggest issue.

Comment

What about using Partition Magic to repartition the HD?
                  Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
                  HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
                    What about using Partition Magic to repartition the HD?
                    I'm not enthusiastic to buy a $70 tool to do a one-time configuration on a device that cost under $300 delivered. In any case I just learned that I can use a shortcut to span the 2 drives in a Squeezecenter music server so I don't need to change the partitions at all.

My other application, VWS + Speaker App, will work fine with the default partitions so I am good there too. By this time next week I will have retired three 24/7 PCs runnig around 140 Watts each and replaced them with a HomeTroller and 2 Eee Boxes. Should save me about $400 a year.

Comment

I'm actually planning on reformatting the drive and installing XP Pro ... the XP Home edition isn't doing it for me ...

I'll let you know if it comes back to life after my attempt.

Comment

I'm actually planning on reformatting the drive and installing XP Pro ... the XP Home edition isn't doing it for me ...

A lot of folks swear by XP Pro but I have never found any Pro features that I actually needed for automation applications (or any other purpose for that matter).

As long as I can create shares and remotely control the box with Kavoom it does everything I need on my LAN. The one copy of Pro on my network is is actually kind of annoying and I really disliked it a lot until I got a PC with Vista on it and I discovered an even more unpleasant OS.

Comment

The primary reason is that with Home Edition there is no way to disable simple file sharing ... which makes it impossible to use tools like psshutdown ...

I realize there are other ways to achieve the same goal, but I like the simplicity

Comment

Did you ever get around to loading up XP Pro? I'm interesed in getting the eeebox to run H/S on.
                            John

Comment

I am curious too about upgrade to XP Pro - one of the reasons I like Pro is Remote Desktop - use it all the time.

Comment

Working...
                              X