eeeBox ... I'm a big fan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS on Eee Box

A couple of months ago my HS computer HD crashed. The computer was old enough that it just wasn't worth the trouble to fix it and I had another box that was not running anywhere near capacity. So I transferred HS to the new box. Unfortunately, I ended up with some conflicts and instability (I think it was serial ports, but that's just a guess).

Anyway, it seemed prudent to devote a box to HS, and based on this thread I decided to give an Eee Box a try. It's perfect! I've had it running several days now, with zero problems. CPU usage is typically under 2% and response is fairly quick. Thanks Richard.

The only puzzle so far is that although I'm using VNC to access the box, if I don't have a monitor physically attached, it reverts to very low resolution. Fortunately, I had an old LCD monitor, so have it babysitting, but it would be nice if I didn't need it. Anyone have any ideas?
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

I seem to remember someone making a sort of dongle that you plug into the video port that simulates a monitor. I wish I could remember more than that but maybe it will job someone else's memory.
      Marty
      ------
      XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
      Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

Comment

I'm happy to hear all the good things about the Asus eee box. Mine comes from Amazon tomorrow. I thought it was kind of funny no one else was using one. I have been waiting to hear about the transparency issue with the CE products, but that sort of fell to the wayside. I thought about getting the Asus EEE all in one, but could not find one and really wanted to mount a 10" touchscreen in the wall. I settled with a 10" screen off ebay for about 200.00. Can't wait to try it with HSTouch. Thanks for the reports. I feel better now!

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
          The only puzzle so far is that although I'm using VNC to access the box,
          Is this because you are running XP HOME? and you cannot use remote desktop. Did not having any optical drives cause any problems? Did you get the standard 1 gig of ram?
          John

Comment

Disagree :-)

Originally posted by upstatemike View Post
            Just got a new eeeBox and am just starting to play with it ... .

1- The 80G drive is partioned 50/50. I could understand a tiny system partition + a large D drive or just a single C partition but taking such a small drive and splitting it in half? What was the logic in that?
            On the 160 GB it is divided in 40 / 110 and that does make sense. You will need on the long run at least 30 GB for your C. Making it smaller is silly. And I must admit I love the partition, cause it is good practice :-)

2- The mouse cable is short. I mean really really short. I can't even picture a real world application for a mouse with a cable as short as this. ?
            It is exactly the same length as the keyboard (approx. 1m).
            To be honest, I was surprised a mouse and keyboard was deliverd together with it ... I would call it an extra to get you started .

3- The 2 usb ports behind the front flap door are not handy. It would have been better to have all 4 usb ports on the back... especially since you immediately use up 2 of them for the keyboard and mouse.
            Disagree again, I am activaly using both and it really depends how your config looks like. For me I just plug in keyboard and mouse in the frontend when I need it (maintenance) and for the rest it is sitting there looking sexy with the closed front and the back connected.

I like it, and really waiting for the touchscreen EEE

My CC
            Boris

Comment

Originally posted by johnnybwis View Post
              Is this because you are running XP HOME? and you cannot use remote desktop.
              I can't say for sure (sample size of 1), but it appears to be an issue with the video system, not the OS.
              Did not having any optical drives cause any problems?
              No. In my case I didn't need to access any files on a CD, but I would expect you could just set up an optical drive on a network computer as shared or copy the installation files to a shared directory.
              Did you get the standard 1 gig of ram?
              Yes.
              Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Just took delivery of my eee pc today. I really like the small size and the mounting plate that comes with it will work great for mounting on my hardware wall. One feature that may be a problem is it does not reboot after a power failure. My power to the house is very reliable but power outages have happened.
                John

Comment

Just took delivery of my eee pc today. I really like the small size and the mounting plate that comes with it will work great for mounting on my hardware wall. One feature that may be a problem is it does not reboot after a power failure. My power to the house is very reliable but power outages have happened.
                  Is that not an option in the BIOS?
                  -Rupp
                  sigpic

Comment

One feature that may be a problem is it does not reboot after a power failure.
                    I didn't check for that, but I have the unit plugged into a UPS. Given it's low power consumption, it should run quite a while. (Unlike you, our power is very unreliable, so I have a backup generator. My UPS just keeps things powered until the transfer switch activates.)

Comment

[QUOTE=Uncle Michael;854581]Unlike you, our power is very unreliable... [QUOTE]Ours isn't much better. We have power outages several times a month. Unfortunately, all of the new construction in this area is bringing the power grid to it's knees.
                      Last edited by Rupp; January 31, 2009, 11:32 PM.
                      -Rupp
                      sigpic

Comment

Ok, found a tool in the programs menu to update the BIO's - made that task really easy. It now has the option to return to the "on state" when power is applied.
                        John

Comment

Welcome to supposed progress. More traffic, more strip malls, more noise, and less power, and i swear that's one of the reasons companies like Comcast are putting limits on bandwidth.
                          Marty
                          ------
                          XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
                          Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

Comment

Ok, found a tool in the programs menu to update the BIO's - made that task really easy. It now has the option to return to the "on state" when power is applied.
                            Nice. This is an invaluable option.
                            -Rupp
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nightwalker View Post
                              Welcome to supposed progress. More traffic, more strip malls, more noise, and less power, and i swear that's one of the reasons companies like Comcast are putting limits on bandwidth.
                              Yep. That and the fact that if they limit bandwidth they can make more money. We have 3 cable companies and we see just the opposite. I switch every 6 months with their new customer "bait and switch" deals and I get cable and unlimited internet for $59 a month currently. Competition is good. I'm current on Knology and soon will switch back to Mediacom. It's become easier but learning the channel changes is the hardest part.
                              -Rupp
                              sigpic

Comment

I was planning on getting a second one of these for my office ... does anyone know if you can still mount this on the back of a wall mounted LCD (on an actuating arm)?

Comment

Working...
                                X