Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pete
    replied
    Has anyone tried to do POE with a touchscreen combo PC? Thinking of testing - building a combo TS/PICO PC setup or even using an Atom based MB. I just recently found in my "cache" of uncompleted projects a POE box which provides 12VDC / 1AMP out. It is meant for say a camera but wondering if it would work with a stripped down ATOM based MB. If this worked it would mean only one wire to the TS or say a CE hackable GPS touchscreen PC?

Leave a comment:

• johnnybwis
    replied
    Finally installed the 2 gig chip. Noticeable improvement. I'm running HSTOUCH on this same box, much more responsive

Leave a comment:

• garciacg
    replied
    I've done it both ways and they both work fine. Some will argue the 2x1GB is better than 1x2GB. Since these aren't intended to be high-end systems, not sure that one can really tell the difference. I love these EEEBox's and already have 3 of them. Bought the Linux versions w/160GB and reformatted with WinXP Pro. Uptime is incredible!!!! My electricity bill is 25% lower too!

Leave a comment:

• johnnybwis
    replied
    Would I need to install two memory modules?
    2GB Set(2x1GB) 200-Pin PC2 5300 667Mhz SODIMM DDR2 RAM

or just one:
    2GB 667 Mhz CT25664AC667 DDR2 200-Pin SODIMM

Originally posted by Chak View Post
    I have also the EEE box.

Serial devices are connected via Lava device server (Lan)
    USB devices are connected via Belkin LAN USB hub.

OS Windows XP pro (tweaked for dual console session)
    HDD replaced with SSD 64 GB
    Memory upgraded to 2 GB
    Homeseer server
    HSTouch client

Power consumption in idle mode is +/- 11 watt

Leave a comment:

• jonjonbear
    replied
    I have also the EEE box.

Memory upgraded to 2 GB
    Homeseer server
    HSTouch client

Hello,
    I see you are using the Lava serial server to connect your serial devices. I bought one and have it connected to my LAN for my laptop which is running HS, but it seems my HS software loses touch with the serial ports after a while. When it works, it works perfectly but after what is probably a long period of non-activity, like over night or during the day at work, it stops responding. The software seems to work but nothing happens. I contacted Lava, and they told me to go into my hardware settings under serial ports and change the setting to persistent, but that didn't fix it. Did you run into any issues like this? I am running my laptop wireless. I entered a trouble ticket with HS and they suspect it's the emulation software the device is using. I did discover last night that the install disk that came with it had an update, which I installed so I don't know if that will make a difference yet or not.

Thanks,
    John

Leave a comment:

• Kamikaze
    replied
    Originally posted by upstatemike View Post
    I'm not enthusiastic to buy a $70 tool to do a one-time configuration on a device that cost under $300 delivered.

Google EASEUS. Its a free partition manager. Works pretty nice. I've used it a couple of times now without issue, with XP.

Brian

Leave a comment:

• richardfj
    replied
    I also replaced the HD with SSD
    New install was the only option.
    Ahh ... I missed that ... makes sense

Leave a comment:

• Chak
    replied
    I also replaced the HD with SSD
    New install was the only option.

Leave a comment:

• richardfj
    replied
    When you upgraded to XP pro, did you simply upgrade the Home Edition? Or did you do a complete format and reinstall? Did you do anything with the dual partitioned HD?

I've been meaning to do this for a while and would love to get any experience you can share ...

Leave a comment:

• Chak
    replied
    I have also the EEE box.

Memory upgraded to 2 GB
    Homeseer server
    HSTouch client

Leave a comment:

• Stevech
    replied
    Nvidia ION.
    Neat.
    $$$$
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/sff_ion.html

Leave a comment:

• johnnybwis
    replied
    Under [All Programs] look for [ASUS] which contains "Asus Easy Update" and "Asus Update". It looks like Asus Update does just the bio's and the Easy Update will do other drivers. I upgraded to XP pro and the update programs are still there. If yours is missing there was some type of restore disk included.

I used the mounting plate to mount my Eee pc box to my wiring wall. Looks great.

Leave a comment:

• richardfj
    replied
    Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
    I doubt it. The mounting plate for the Eee Box is designed to be used in place of a wall mount.
    That's kind of what I expected ... maybe I just use the mounting plate to mount it to the wall behind the TV with enough cable to reach the monitor as it swings out.

Originally posted by johnnybwis View Post
    Ok, found a tool in the programs menu to update the BIO's - made that task really easy. It now has the option to return to the "on state" when power is applied.
    Do you know what the utility is called? I moved my menu around a little and have updated the system a couple of times ... can't seem to find anything to update the BIOS. I'll try to check which version I'm currently on. Which version do you have that give you the return to "on state" when power is applied option?

Leave a comment:

• Uncle Michael
    replied
    does anyone know if you can still mount this on the back of a wall mounted LCD (on an actuating arm)?
    I doubt it. The mounting plate for the Eee Box is designed to be used in place of a wall mount.

Wish they'd crammed in a notebook's DVD drive. But I guess you can plug one in when needed.
    I have another PC nearby, so when I want to read a CD/DVD with the Eee, I set up the drive on the other PC to be shared. Then I can use it as if it were attached directly.

Leave a comment:

• Stevech
    replied
    Eee Box: similar to $69 Intel Atom Motherboard I bought (see thread here). Has onboard video (good enough for 1680 x 1050 x 23 bit on LCD with good windowing), Ethernet, USBs, SATA, IDE, PS2, Takes cheap DDR2 memory (I used PC6400, 2GB).

Mini-ITX cases cost as much as the mobo!
    So
    $70 mobo
    $25 small power supply
    $60 160GB disk
    $25 2GB RAM
    $180 total

Linux $0 or Windows

As-needed SATA or USB DVD/CD drive. BIOS boots either. Boots USB Flash too.

Anyway, Eee Box is really cute. Wish they'd crammed in a notebook's DVD drive. But I guess you can plug one in when needed.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X