Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How are our kids affected by automation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How are our kids affected by automation?

I'm sitting here with a cup of coffee, going over a few events needing updating. I got to thinking, my kids have always been more open to automation than my wife. Nothing against her, but we all know the whole "WAF" thing. All in all, she has "come around" quite a bit, and uses/depends on it more than she would admit.

The boys, however, being younger, boys, and more technically inclined, have zero issue with almost anything I do. They were the first to personify "Alfred," they are the firs to easily adapt to a new style of rocker on lights, or to remember which button does this or that, and so on.

Their lives are quite affected by home automation. They get reminders, streaming media content, lighting control, etc, something I would imagine most kids aren't exposed to as kids.

Being the pastor of a church, I know the effect that "unusual circumstances" can have on raising children. The fact that my kids are "pastor's kids" affects how they perceive themselves as well as how they relate to the world around them. This can be possitive or negative, but it is not avoidable, though I may try to make it so :-)

So the question is, how does being a home automation kid affect our children? Do you think they will be more or less likely to automate when they have a home of their own? Are they in for culture shock when they get to their dorm room and realize they can't talk to it?

Just some of my morning musing.
    Plugins:
    BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

My kids, now out on their own, often remark that their own home is boring. I have no doubt that when one or all of them get to the home they figure will be the permanant home I'll be spending a lot of time there.
    Marty
    ------
    XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
    Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

Comment

I have a 14 yr old and a 9 month old - pretty wide range. The oldest hears the TTS announcements and barely acknowledges. What's funny is the 9 month old. She acts like the cats when she hears the TTS; she perks-up and looks around.

I have some of her nursery automated, but it's mostly for mom and dad, though. I turn on/off lights at certain times, run the air cleaner when it is occupied and for an hour after occupied, etc.
      HS4Pro Running on a Raspberry Pi4
      68 Z-Wave Nodes, 175 Events, 359 Devices
      UPB modules via OMNI plugin/panel
      Plugins: Z-Wave, OMNI, HSTouch, weatherXML, EasyTrigger
      HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 Joggler

Comment

mine are 11, 8, and 6. they hear tts and respond more readily than if I were to tell them to do something. i wonder if that won't last forever, though :-(
        Plugins:
        BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Comment

You'll just have to change the voices once in a while to keep them on their toes. i do have to warn you though, 14 thru 17 or so, no voice works.
          Marty
          ------
          XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
          Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

Comment

Both of our children are grown and on their own now, a son 22 and a daughter 24. They grew up with some kind of automation, be it primitive in the early years. I have been into HA for over 30 years now, so they did take it for granted. Our daughter could care less whether she has automation now or not, but our son, well he’s into it. He doesn’t have much automation, but he has to have it. He is now a Webmaster for many companies and making more money than I ever did. I think living in an automated home had a lot to do with that. At age 15 he created the first virtual weather station plug-in for HomeSeer and at age 16 came a winamp plug-in. These each started as projects for Dad, as I am not much of a programmer, but he on the other hand is a quite accomplished programmer.

Our kid’s thought it was normal so they didn’t say anything to their friends, but found out our home was different when their friends started coming over. All their friends loved to come over. We had a swimming pool, pool table and most importantly a house that talked with lights that would go on and off automatically. They would all be surprised the first time they came over, but after that you couldn’t tell they even noticed. But if you ever heard their friends talk about our house, you would always hear the words “cool” and “you’ve got to see it”.

My wife acts like she doesn’t like it, but onetime I decided to give it up. Yes, I unplugged every module and turned off the HomeSeer machine for two weeks. It was hell for me, kind of like trying to stop a bad habit, but before it was over they ALL insisted we couldn’t live without it. It’s just the way it is supposed to be.

The thing that used to get me was our daughter’s dog. The dog died in an accident a few years ago, but this dog was so smart. She knew what it meant when she would hear “motion in the front yard” and “motion at the front door.” She would run from the back of the house to see who was coming to see her. She was always the first one to get to the front door and look back at you as if she was saying hurry up, open the door. I didn’t like it much having that dog in the house, but I do kind of miss that old dog. Oh… and the kids too! Don’t get to see them as often as I would like.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by completelyhis View Post
              mine are 11, 8, and 6. they hear tts and respond more readily than if I were to tell them to do something. i wonder if that won't last forever, though :-(
              That's why we need an HS Pet Shocking Caller plugin.
              Keep them kids quick and responsive.

~Bill

Comment

Well in my household, all my inside pets listen to TTS, they know the difference between the Yukon has arrived on the property and the Toyota has arrived on the property, when the Yukon arrives they meet me at the door, but when the Toyota arrives it means they get to eat and they respond differently. one of my cats gets on my desk about 5 minutes before his breakfast and sits looking at the speaker in the ceiling, waiting for Susi (the HS system) to say her morning "Flagstaff, Are you hungry?", he then meows and jumps down and runs for his food bowl. My dog whenever she sees me head for the door has to go with me, but if i trigger the electric gate which plays the Jetsons "dum, dum, dum, dum" she goes and lays down. My youngest who is now in the Marines came to visit after being away for 2 years, was quite impressed but made the comment that we sure live on a schedule these days, that susi has everything planned out.

When we moved 3+ years ago, we were without HA for about 6 weeks, the wife actually said she missed it
                Over The Hill
                What Hill?
                Where?
                When?
                I Don't Remember Any Hill

Virtualized Server 2k3 Ent X86 Guest on VMWare ESXi 4.1 with 3 SunRay thin clients as access points - HSPro 2.4.0.48 - ZTroller - ACRF2 (3 WGL 800's) - iAutomate RFID - Ledam - MLHSPlugin - Ultra1wire - RainRelay8 - TI103 - Ultramon - WAF-AB8SS - jvESS (11 zones) - Bitwise Controls BC4 - with 745 Total Devices - 550 Events - 104 scripts - 78 ZWave devices - 42 X10 devices - 76 DS10a's 3 RFXSenors and 32 Motion Sensors

Comment

we all have a certain Pavlovian response, then :-)

Bill, maybe someone could write a pet management/training plugin that integrates tts, magnetic collars, automatic food dispensers, etc. I have a Chinese Crested that prefers to pee in the house during the winter because it's too cold outside. If I let her out to do her business she'd rather hold it, no longer how long i leave her out there/walk her, and then 5 minutes after she comes in...there it is. I've tried everything, and she's not a puppy either. during the summer it is not a problem at all, she just is too dang stubborn and smart. we never have that problem with our cockapoo. go figure. If someone wrote a HS plugin to solve that problem i'd pay any amount of money.

thankfully I don't have that problem with my boys :-)
                  Plugins:

Comment

do your kids try to override or disable any of the automation?

My kids are still young so they like all the automatic lights, cameras, etc. i am wondering however, if they will try to override or remove lamp modules and other automation in their rooms as they get older.

thoughts
                    Mark

HS3 Pro 3.0.0.534
                    Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway
                    Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 (by Kirby) | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | NetCAM | MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Jon00 Charting
                    Platform: HP h8-1360t, Windows Server 2012 R2, i7-3.4GHz, 16GB memory

Comment

Originally posted by mnsandler View Post
                      My kids are still young so they like all the automatic lights, cameras, etc. i am wondering however, if they will try to override or remove lamp modules and other automation in their rooms as they get older.

thoughts
                      that raises several points:

I think of it like laws. My parents raised me to be a law abiding citizen. I am doing the best to raise my children the same way. If I tell my kids not to watch TV after 9 pm, I trust that they will not watch TV past 9 pm. Granted, It helps to give them a little "reminder" of that rule (ie, automation that turns things off, etc). But ultimately I rely on the integrity they have learned/seen in me.

secondly, BEFORE they get old enough to start thinking/trying to use HS to gain access to things they shouldn't (TV, video games, shared media, etc) I need to make sure that HS has propper user/password settings. For instance, I need to make sure that HS doesn't allow admin access by default to anyone who access the HS website from the intranet, for example.
                      Plugins:

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Brower View Post
                        That's why we need an HS Pet Shocking Caller plugin.
                        Keep them kids quick and responsive.
                        Hmmm, I think your on to something!
                        -Todd

____________________________________________________________ ________________
                        HS2Pro: 2.5.0.81 :: HS3Pro (beta) || Plugins:| SmartHome PowerLinc USB, Global Cache, BLBackup, DooCPU Monitor, DooMotion, BLOutlook, BLIcon, BLOutgoingCalls, OutgoingCalls, ROC-Rnd, HSTouch iPhone, UPS Monitor, DooMenuBar, BLSpeech, HSTouch Server, WAF AB8SS, mcsTemperature, VWS, BLChart, RFXCOM, ISY Insteon, iAutomate RFID, iTunes, NetCAM, DSC Security, Nest

Comment

Unfortuneatly, I think my children have regressed living in a house with HA. ( 11 and 14 )

They expect lights to turn on automatically everywhere and get disgusted with having to use a light switch.
                          They have forgotten that a light switch can also be used to turn off lights.
                          They dress in the morning as required by the temp annoucements, it does not occur to them to actually check outside for the weather.
                          They run to the door and windows when an annoucement is made regarding outside motion.
                          When my car is announced returning home, that is when they start cleaning up and pretend to have been studying!

And yes, I have had to create events and alerts for my benefit.
                          Like make an announcement when a pc is connected to the network, especially at night.
                          Annoucements when door and windows have been opened, especially when the A/C or Heating system is ON.

And so on.......

StevenE
                          Why oh why didn't I just leave things alone, they had been working.

Comment

Originally posted by completelyhis View Post
                            If I tell my kids not to watch TV after 9 pm, I trust that they will not watch TV past 9 pm. Granted, It helps to give them a little "reminder" of that rule (ie, automation that turns things off, etc). But ultimately I rely on the integrity they have learned/seen in me.
                            Originally posted by Ronald Reagan View Post
                            Trust, but verify.
                            ==================================================

~Bill

Comment

Good word, Bill, from a great man.
                              Plugins:

Comment

Working...
                              X