Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How are our kids affected by automation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When my boy was 6, he wanted to go out on a rainy day and said:
    "Daddy push on the rain button please..."
    Visit zee e-maison : http://www.e-maison.com

Comment

Originally posted by Pierre View Post
      When my boy was 6, he wanted to go out on a rainy day and said:
      "Daddy push on the rain button please..."
      That's awesome!
      Plugins:
      BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Comment

A slightly different version of automation, but Tivo has certainly had its effect. When my son was 3 he demanded I pause the Giants baseball game we were at so he could go pee.

The cool thing I'm starting to see now from my son, who is 7, is that they are starting to learn about energy efficiency and global warming at school and he's tying it in with how our house works. He's starting to understand that we can make a difference in how much energy we use by using some of the cool stuff we have in the house. I hear him telling his friends about it every now and then so I think it's actually sinking in.

Comment

Originally posted by jackpod View Post
          Well in my household, all my inside pets listen to TTS, they know the difference between the Yukon has arrived on the property and the Toyota has arrived on the property, when the Yukon arrives they meet me at the door, but when the Toyota arrives it means they get to eat and they respond differently. one of my cats gets on my desk about 5 minutes before his breakfast and sits looking at the speaker in the ceiling, waiting for Susi (the HS system) to say her morning "Flagstaff, Are you hungry?", he then meows and jumps down and runs for his food bowl. My dog whenever she sees me head for the door has to go with me, but if i trigger the electric gate which plays the Jetsons "dum, dum, dum, dum" she goes and lays down. My youngest who is now in the Marines came to visit after being away for 2 years, was quite impressed but made the comment that we sure live on a schedule these days, that susi has everything planned out.

When we moved 3+ years ago, we were without HA for about 6 weeks, the wife actually said she missed it
          ok, I thought I might be the only one. I use AT&T voices for the TTS. The dogs knew the difference between "Excuse me but we have a visitor at the front door." and "Excuse me, but the garage door is now open."

My daughter would do her homework, and forget to put it in the backpack. So I setup announcements for "Sarah, remember to put your homework in your backpack." and "It is now time to go to school." My daughter's grade went up one whole gradepoint. Now that's WAF!

Had to move in to take care of dad, and so 2 years without automation .. . .

She misses the take out the trash announcements and reminders.
          A computer's attention span is as long
          as it's powercord.

Comment

dont let this thread die.. the best thread in HS.

Comment

I have 2 and 4 years old. They are very excited when they see me talking to HS and laugh and laugh and laugh. But they are disappointed when HS is not responding to them.
              They would like to see cartoon when they come back from the school so they are very desperate to turn the TV ON by saying "Turn the AV switch ON".

Also sometimes HS will pick up and will talk something when my kids talk to me and immediately they will tell the HS "Hey I am not talking to you".

Bottom line, we are enjoying and having fun by seeing our kids interacting with it.
              <O</O

Comment

It may be in my head, but I think my kids are getting lazier because of automation. They leave lights on all the time now! And the idea of "someone/something else will do that for me" could be bleeding over into other areas of their life, ie, clearing the table, making the bed, etc.

Or, it may be part of the normal upbringing of children, it's hard to say if it's automation's fault, or just human nature!

SSK, what part of WA are you in?

Ian
                Plugins:
                BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Comment

I have three kids, 11, 8, and 7. It slowly wakes them delayed full on in the morning, turns their lights off when they leave for school and regulates their tv at night. I had to write a special event when they learned to turn the tvs back on using the "special button". They love it especially when the babysitters over and the whole house goes dark. O the laughter is special.

My oldest, her favorite is the V150 touch panel, mostly used to tease her little brothers. I think its great they learn to use it and respect it at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by completelyhis View Post
                    It may be in my head, but I think my kids are getting lazier because of automation. They leave lights on all the time now! And the idea of "someone/something else will do that for me" could be bleeding over into other areas of their life, ie, clearing the table, making the bed, etc.

Or, it may be part of the normal upbringing of children, it's hard to say if it's automation's fault, or just human nature!

Ian
                    Isn't that why WE are into home automation. . .to make things easier on US ? It helps me remember things, so I can forget them, and monitors my house so I dont have to remember to lock the doors before bedtime, and the list goes on and on.
                    A computer's attention span is as long
                    as it's powercord.

Comment

I think the kids are learning a good lesson in energy management and conservation. Whenever they complain about the light in the bathroom turning off, I remind them that we are trying to conserve energy and they need to go faster.

Steve Q
                      HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
                      2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

My four year old seems to have learnt the days of the week quite well from the "Good morning, today is Monday, February 16. . . . ." announcement when he is the first to walk into the kitchen on his way to our room to wake us each morning . Sometimes I throw in some other stuff like Happy birthday or "Nanna is coming today" to see if he is really listening.
                        He is.

Our 18 month daughter goes nuts when the house (it hasn't got a name yet) announces that "Dad is less than 1km from home" in the evenings - she's always waiting out on the front porch for me when I pull in the drive.

The other half can easily live without the automation (so she says) but the couple of times HS hasn't restarted cleanly overnight she walks into things in the kitchen when the lights don't come on, and she's lost without knowing the forecast for the day

I'm just about to completely revamp the whole-house audio setup and build a 15" MainLobby touchscreen into the wall. . . With 100% support of the powers that be

Comment

is your "Dad is less than 1km from home" a time based event or are you really within 1km then it triggers?

Comment

is your "Dad is less than 1km from home" a time based event or are you really within 1km then it triggers?
                            Really within 1km from home. Being an Amateur Radio operator and using APRS (GPS position reports sent periodically over ham radio channels), I use the APRSParser plugin to trigger events when the position of my callsign is within certain ranges - In this case <1km from my home location. Quite nifty

Comment

My son is 19 and told me the other day he will have HomeFront 2.0 at his house. I used HomeFront for our network name and automation computers. We've had home automation his entire life, at our town house in Hawai'i, the apartment and the house here in Las Vegas. Mostly lighting control in the beginning, then motion controlled lights, announcing the opening and closing of the front door and garage door, announcing movement on the approach to the front door, reminders to take medicine, exercise, feed the fuzzies (three cats, one dog). I have a model of the Las Vegas Welcome Sign that stays on while the garage door is open.

My daughter doesn't believe in turning the lights off, so I have the kid's bathroom go dark after 45 minutes; it used to be 30, but that wasn't long enough.

Hadn't thought about the trash.

I recently set up a reminder for my wife to go to bed with "Time for bed." announced several times including when the lights start going out and using an X10 chime once in the process; she just keeps on playing her computer games and ignoring the reminders. I've threated to have her computer turn off automatically with a two-minute warning.

Now I'm getting ready to have some sort of "Are deadbolts locked?" system, since my daughter seems to rush out and not lock the door behind her. She doesn't care much for computers or automation; unlike my son who is semi-interested at least.

And yes the kid's friends thought our house to be cool. They even liked the computer announcing who was calling.

It will be interesting to see the reaction to HSTouch, once I set it up to control the entertainment system with push buttons on the touch screen to select the TV channels by Network Icon, etc. I have the "Command Touch Screen" sitting between my wife and I at our Home Theater seating. I told my son about it and he thought it was "cool".

Comment

Working...
                              X