Use of new florescent lights on dimmer modules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Use of new florescent lights on dimmer modules

With the advent of the new dimmable florescent light bulbs has anyone tried putting them on the dimmer modules?

Rich

It depends on the fluo light bulb. Some can be dimmed.
    It depends on the dimmer module. Some do not support a too low charge.
    --
    stipus

Comment

Has anyone tried them?

Thanks for the reply but I guess I was wondering if anyone had actually tried them to see if they work or not? The new florescents actually do work on dimmers (the ones I purchased at Menards are working great). Now these dimmers are new dimmers (not the old style ones). Thanks

Rich

Comment

Originally posted by rreiffer View Post
        Thanks for the reply but I guess I was wondering if anyone had actually tried them to see if they work or not? The new florescents actually do work on dimmers (the ones I purchased at Menards are working great). Now these dimmers are new dimmers (not the old style ones). Thanks

Rich

I tried one that I bought at a local hardware store and was not overly impressed. It's a dimmable GE CFL, 26 watts.

To start off, it doesn't work with X-10 light switches modules period, so forget that.

It works with INSTEON dimmers but, the dimming range is limited (33 to 100% I'd say.)

Just below that on the dimmer range, the light behaves erratically. Often it starts blinking (Full-ON / Full-OFF) at one second intervals or it turns suddenly off. It doesn't flicker however.

I didn't try it with any other dimmers.

So, all in all, it's not bad but not great...

Joel

Comment

Does it need to warm up to reach full brightness setting or a 50% brightness setting? If so how long?

Originally posted by fran_joel View Post
          I tried one that I bought at a local hardware store and was not overly impressed. It's a dimmable GE CFL, 26 watts.

To start off, it doesn't work with X-10 light switches modules period, so forget that.

It works with INSTEON dimmers but, the dimming range is limited (33 to 100% I'd say.)

Just below that on the dimmer range, the light behaves erratically. Often it starts blinking (Full-ON / Full-OFF) at one second intervals or it turns suddenly off. It doesn't flicker however.

I didn't try it with any other dimmers.

So, all in all, it's not bad but not great...

Joel
          John

Comment

Here is a link to a thread that has been going for a long time. Lots of info about CFLs. It was started on 12/29/06 so it is now a two year study on CFL.

http://forums.homeseer.com/showthrea...mpact+Dimmable

Maybe this will help answer some questions,
            Rick

Comment

Originally posted by johnnybwis View Post
              Does it need to warm up to reach full brightness setting or a 50% brightness setting? If so how long?
              It does take a while to reach its final brightness whatever the setting. I would say a minute or so...

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks for all of the replies. This has helped considerably. By the way, Menards actually has a series of dimmable CFL's that are 4 for $12. I have them installed and they seem to work very well (once again, follow the burn procedure, etc.).

Rich

Comment

HA06 switches with CFL

By the way, has anyone tried the dimmable CFL's with the HA06 switches? Thanks
                  Rich

Comment

I have tried cf dimmables from lowes on x10 togglelinc light switches 23890w and they worked.... well 0 issues with the x10 switch and light...however the dimmability was not what I desired.... returned them and put regular light bulbs in. Most of my house is CF bulbs but where I see dimm needs... like basement... for wii time
                    HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Working...
                    X