Heat Pump or Not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heat Pump or Not?

I am sure someone here has a heat pump and can offer some advice.

I need to replace my AC/Heating and have been looking around. I get answers from people that seem to benefit them more than me.

I would really like to understand if a heat pump is a better investment over an AC only unit. I would like to hit SEER 15 for tax credits (reinstated in 2009) and 95% on the gas furnace.

I have a serial RSC TR40 that will work regardless.

The furnace guys I have talked to both say don't bother with a heat pump, cost is not justified.

I live in Kansas City so we get enough days above 35ish that I would think a heat pump helps.

Anybody have experience with a heat pump?

I'm confused as usual. Are you considering adding a second source of heat?
    -Rupp
    sigpic

Comment

I am by no means well versed on heating systems but I've had a Heat Pump for the last 10 years with no troubles, it's been comparable sometimes a little less then my brother in law down the street with propane heat. The only thing i notice is setbacks when no one is home during the day don't save you anything, you lose it all heating the place up again. I just pick a comfortable setting and forget it.
      Marty
      ------
      XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
      Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

Comment

For me, a heat pump was a wise investment. My old unit was costing me an arm and a leg in electricity bills since it was strip-heat only. My heat pump has strip-heat, but it must be turned on manually for unusually cold periods.

I now have 2 HVAC units for my house which is ~3100 sf. The heat pump unit heats (and cools) the majority of my house. The smaller unit is A/C and strip heat, but the heat rarely gets used.
        HS4Pro Running on a Raspberry Pi4
        68 Z-Wave Nodes, 175 Events, 359 Devices
        UPB modules via OMNI plugin/panel
        Plugins: Z-Wave, OMNI, HSTouch, weatherXML, EasyTrigger
        HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 Joggler

Comment

It Depends....

The way I understand it is that there is a mean temperature threshold that you shouldn't go under during the winter for a heatpump to be effective. If there is no heat to collect from outside, you will need supplemental heat to make up the difference. If that happens once a winter, then its probably a good deal. If it happens for weeks at a time and you are constantly using supplemental heat, it is probably not a good idea.

I had heard that Dallas was about as far North as you could get away with a Heatpump only system. However Nightwalker is in PA, so go figure.

I was in Kansas City for a month beginning in the middle of January about 10 or so years ago. I froze my @$$ off every day I was there. That makes me tend to believe a heat pump alone may not be the best plan.

Rob

Comment

I went with a dual heat system heat pump and natural gas. When the temp goes below 40 it auto switches to natural gas. I had it set to 35 but found I liked it better at 40. It has a Honeywell thermostat so it is not automated with HomeSeer. It is a great system and works very well.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
              I'm confused as usual. Are you considering adding a second source of heat?
              It's been pretty confusing for me too. I don't get a lot of info from the people who should know.

I am replacing my heating and cooling for 2400 square feet. I am planning on an efficient natural gas furnace with an AC unit and A coil over the furnace. Lately, I have had some say I should get a heat pump instead of just an AC unit. So I started looking. My TR40 thermostat will control it so no problem there.

We do have Sep, Oct, Nov that are 50's and 40's. Dec, Jan, Feb are in the 30's and Feb can be colder in the 20's. Mar starts to warm back up. So, it would 'seem' there is a time of the year that a heat pump would be beneficial. I can get $450 back from the electric utility for a SEER 15 heat pump of 3 tons. So I would guess that ought to cover the added cost. Problem is, it's hard to get real prices for equipment. There aren't even MSRP for furnaces that I have found yet. Seems like these guys can charge whatever they can get you to believe.

The system should work where the heat pump will work until a certain temp and then the gas furnace will take over and be the heat source. I see the heat pump as offering an alternative to natural gas prices in case they go berserk.

Comment

Originally posted by jgary View Post
                I went with a dual heat system heat pump and natural gas. When the temp goes below 40 it auto switches to natural gas. I had it set to 35 but found I liked it better at 40. It has a Honeywell thermostat so it is not automated with HomeSeer. It is a great system and works very well.
                Where are you at? What's your climate like? I am in Kansas City and we have about 3 months that get pretty cold, 30's, 20's sometimes.

Do you feel like it's saved you money overall?

Comment

Originally posted by outbackrob View Post
                  I was in Kansas City for a month beginning in the middle of January about 10 or so years ago. I froze my @$$ off every day I was there. That makes me tend to believe a heat pump alone may not be the best plan. Rob
                  LOL. Yeah there are those days. Not looking to be heat pump only. I do need a natural gas furnace to back it up. My system is 26 years old so it's time to go. Heating and cooling system to be replaced. Just looking for the best future proofed alternative.

Comment

Based on my current charges, an air-based heat pump is not cost effective vs. natural gas. (One that uses ground water might be, but installation cost is so high payback will take longer than I want to wait.) But that is not the whole story. The future prices of electricity vs. natural gas are also important. How's your crystal ball? In our area, natural gas is relatively inexpensive. It is also not foreign sourced, but it is difficult to stock pile, which makes its price less predictable. (At least that's the conventional wisdom. But as we all know, the price of any energy source can fluctuate pretty spectacularly.)

Anyway, since we have easy access to natural gas and live in an area that gets cold enough to require a backup source of heat for cold weather, I find that it is difficult to justify the cost of a heat pump. Of course, if gas prices skyrocket, that could change, and one clear advantage of having a heat pump and a gas-fired backup heat source would be that it would give you flexibility to choose your fuel based on the relative costs over time.
                    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
                    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

I have a heat pump in Atlanta with naural gas furnace backup. In Florida I have a heat pump with strip heat backup that I don't think has ever come on. The backup gas heat in Atlanta comes on when temps drop below 40. I use HAI thermostats and the HAI thermostat plugin with HS. Both units are Trane.

Comment

In Phoenix, where it doesn't get real cold, my last house had a heat pump. They are efficient (pro) but they also don't blow real warm air (con) and they also take much longer to heat.

My advice would be, that if you only had electricity in your house, a heat pump is much better than very expensive electric heat. If you have gas, I'd go with that or maybe a heat pump with gas backup. I think you'll like gas much better, but a heat pump will probably save you a small amount of money.

Comment

Working...
                        X