Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shutdown Wii

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Shutdown Wii

    I am using the TvTimer to restrict access to my kids Wii. Am I doing any damage to the device my just shutting off the power with a fixture or appliance modual? Is anyone aware of a way to get the Wii to go into Standby or Hibernate?
    Larry

    #2
    If you don't use an appliance module, you may be damaging the unit because of the way they dim to off instead of just turning off instantly. I had a problem with this on a dimmable plug-in type z-wave module. I asked for configuration options to basically disable the dim-to-off so I could use these more easily findable devices in more places. As far as I know, that hasn't changed, so you should only use the appliance style modules.

    Now as for the shutdown command via some type of network communications, hmm, don't know about that. If you can turn the thing off via the remote, you can by a spare wii-mote, re-wire the shutdown button to fire via a relay type output (there are lots of homeseer devices that provide that option, but are more expensive if you don't already own them). Then hide that thing somewhere and don't tell anyone where you hid it. Of course, they'll find it, and probably figure it out ...

    Maybe a better solution is to cut power to the TV/monitor it is plugged up to.

    Just a thought.
    huggy_d1

    Automating made easy

    Comment


      #3
      I wouldn't use an appliance module either. These also have the voltage leak which could also cause damage.
      -Rupp
      sigpic

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by lpcalcaterra View Post
        I am using the TvTimer to restrict access to my kids Wii.
        Are you sure.... better check around for some hidden extension cords.
        John

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by johnnybwis View Post
          Are you sure.... better check around for some hidden extension cords.
          I did think of that. At this time I am controlling with an appliance mod. I have an inline fixture module and a small project box from RatShack with I was planning a splicing into the Wii power cord. Maybe it is not such a good idea?

          Originally posted by huggy_d1 View Post
          If you can turn the thing off via the remote, you can by a spare wii-mote, re-wire the shutdown button to fire via a relay type output (there are lots of homeseer devices that provide that option, but are more expensive if you don't already own them). Then hide that thing somewhere and don't tell anyone where you hid it. Of course, they'll find it, and probably figure it out ...

          Just a thought.
          If I where to throw a lot of $$ at the project I would use the Bitwise CB4 to monitor the TV, Wii & Receiver. The CB4, I imagine, would learn the Wii commands. I would seriously consider this if I could retrieve the remaing user time from the TVTimer.
          Larry

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by lpcalcaterra View Post
            I did think of that. At this time I am controlling with an appliance mod. I have an inline fixture module and a small project box from RatShack with I was planning a splicing into the Wii power cord. Maybe it is not such a good idea?



            If I where to throw a lot of $$ at the project I would use the Bitwise CB4 to monitor the TV, Wii & Receiver. The CB4, I imagine, would learn the Wii commands. I would seriously consider this if I could retrieve the remaing user time from the TVTimer.
            I just use the good ole " IF I CATCH YOU ON IT YOU ARE IN BIG TROUBLE !!!" method... has worked so far....
            HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

            HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

            Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

            Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

            Comment


              #7
              Yeah.. that method has worked consistently for me in the past. That method is just not as fun as setting up multiple HS events to monitor & boot them off automatically.
              Larry

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by lpcalcaterra View Post
                If I where to throw a lot of $$ at the project I would use the Bitwise CB4 to monitor the TV, Wii & Receiver. The CB4, I imagine, would learn the Wii commands. I would seriously consider this if I could retrieve the remaing user time from the TVTimer.
                Just a couple of quick clarifications. First, it's the BC4, not CB4. Anyone remember that movie?
                Also, the Wii does not actually receive IR commands. The IR "sensor bar" is actually a transmitter, and the Wii remotes do the IR recieving from the dual emitters in the sensor bar to identify the Wii remote position. So the BC4 could not actually control the Wii by IR. What you COULD do, is use a BC4 to sense the composite video output (no additional sensors to buy), and then use the BC4 to turn off the power to the TV if the kids are trying to play during no-no time. Using signal sensing with the BC4, you could easily write a script which logs total Wii system on-time as well.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Oops.. sorry for the typo Mark. I missed that movie at the box office. Thanks for clarifying the Wii communications. Looks like I will be shutting down the TV instead of the Wii.
                  Larry

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by lpcalcaterra View Post
                    I missed that movie at the box office.
                    You really didn't miss much.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Regarding the TV, the potential for damage might depend on what kind of TV it is. In my case, I have a projection DLP that has cooling fans on it that run after I turn the set off. If your TV has any cooling fans in it, then killing the power could cause some thermal wear. (just thinking out loud here. )

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by cjrs27 View Post
                        Regarding the TV, the potential for damage might depend on what kind of TV it is. In my case, I have a projection DLP that has cooling fans on it that run after I turn the set off. If your TV has any cooling fans in it, then killing the power could cause some thermal wear. (just thinking out loud here. )
                        Hey Bob thanks for your input..

                        Yep, Sony WEGA Rear projection LCD has cooling fans. This is getting aggravating. Looks like I will be going back to the TeleFragger method.
                        Larry

                        Comment


                          #13
                          You can have HS make announcements that the game time has expired, or maybe flash lights to your attention.

                          Not for games, but I monitor the use of the telephone, if the phone is in use for an extended period or 'after hours' HS makes an anouncement. The announcement is every 5 minutes until the phone is hung up or I change a virtual device.

                          StevenE
                          Why oh why didn't I just leave things alone, they had been working.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Move the control modules to the source, watching a blank screen gets boring real fast
                            Over The Hill
                            What Hill?
                            Where?
                            When?
                            I Don't Remember Any Hill

                            Virtualized Server 2k3 Ent X86 Guest on VMWare ESXi 4.1 with 3 SunRay thin clients as access points - HSPro 2.4.0.48 - ZTroller - ACRF2 (3 WGL 800's) - iAutomate RFID - Ledam - MLHSPlugin - Ultra1wire - RainRelay8 - TI103 - Ultramon - WAF-AB8SS - jvESS (11 zones) - Bitwise Controls BC4 - with 745 Total Devices - 550 Events - 104 scripts - 78 ZWave devices - 42 X10 devices - 76 DS10a's 3 RFXSenors and 32 Motion Sensors

                            Comment


                              #15
                              SteveE, good point. I had a bit of tunnel vision there thinking that shutting down the TV or the game was my only option. I verbal TTS announcement & flashing the lights is a good option. One problem remains. How to determine switch user is on the system.

                              Originally posted by jackpod View Post
                              Move the control modules to the source, watching a blank screen gets boring real fast
                              My thoughts exactly, but shutting down the power on the Wii (essentially a PC) is not considered to be a good practice.
                              Larry

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X