MS13a Motion Sensors don't like the cold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS13a Motion Sensors don't like the cold

I have a few out buildings with motion sensors in, and I have found when it's cold "< 3 Degrees C" then they don't like to work, my guess is this is just the battery voltage falling because of the temperature, does this sound logical? Does anyone else get this problem, and how do you get around it.

I was thinking of finding a power supply which outputed 3v's and connected to the mains. Do you think this is the best way around the problem??

any thoughts???

Chees

Jim

Yes this sounds like reports I've read in the past but the temps reported then were much lower than freezing. Are you using rechargable batteries by any chance? If so these fail quickly in cooler weather. If you have power near by then by all means use it.
    -Rupp
    sigpic

Comment

I'm not using rechargeable batteries, I have tried expensive and cheap batteries, all with the same results.

Comment

I use LARGE D batteries with wire attached to DS`10s and Motion sensors outside.. so far over a year and still going.. temp today -7

TrOjAn

Comment

Comment

They use commercial grade parts in the sensors. So, it is luck of the draw as to where the sensor will stop working at.

In tojan's case, he PROBABLY got parts that were close to industrial grade, but couldn't make it through the GUARANTEED range. I have some that won't work either. Just get another sensor, program it up and use that one. Chances are, you might get lucky!

--Dan
            Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

I have one mounted outside on the bricks under the eaves of my house. I honestly cannot remember the last time the batteries were changed (alkaline). I dread the day I have to change them - I just hope it comes back on and works.
              HS4Pro Running on a Raspberry Pi4
              68 Z-Wave Nodes, 175 Events, 359 Devices
              UPB modules via OMNI plugin/panel
              Plugins: Z-Wave, OMNI, HSTouch, weatherXML, EasyTrigger
              HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 Joggler

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
                ......I dread the day I have to change them - I just hope it comes back on and works.
                It's not the changing of the batteries that is a pain for me. It's reprograming the device codes. I SHOULD have put them all on A and B, but NO, I used O and P. SOMEDAY I will go back and fix that.......

Comment

I've just been using Eveready or Duracell alkalines for years and they work fine for me. Around here we've been to almost 20 below zero already this year and January is our coldest month. I've got them in the cheapy x10 motion sensors and the better MS-10 and also a couple of DS-10 door sensors.
                  Dick
                  HS PRO 2.5.0.81, WinXP, IE8, Shuttle XS35V3, 2.13GHz, 4GB, 40GB SSD drive, AC-RF2, ADIOcelot, Message Server, TI103, SNEVL CID, pjcOutlook, MCSTemperature, Powertrigger, BLBackup, BLFloorplan, BLIcon, BLOccupied, BLRadar, BLRfid, BLLogMonitor, ACPUPSD, UltraECM, WeatherXML & Stipus' script connector. 500+ devices, 260+ events, 1-wire weather station + temp/humidity sensors & Oregon Scientific temp & humidity sensors & 2 Brultech ECM-1240s

Comment

Heres a couple of pictures of what I use.. not everyones cup of tea but hey.. it works

TrOjAn
                    Attached Files

Comment

I might have to try something simular, thanks for the photos

Comment

Originally posted by outbackrob View Post
                        It's not the changing of the batteries that is a pain for me. It's reprograming the device codes. I SHOULD have put them all on A and B, but NO, I used O and P. SOMEDAY I will go back and fix that.......
                        Don't use A1

If you use A1, all devices reset to that and you'll have triggers from the wrong devices.

If you have any stick a switches they could reset to A1-A3.

I'd just avoid A all together for any type of X10 device.

My main problem with outdoor sensors isn't the batteries or the changing of codes, it's the fact that I have aluminum siding, and almost no RF gets in or out
                        Joe (zimmer62)

BLSecurtiy, AC-RF2, RCS Serial Thermostats, RFXCOM SMarthome SwitchLinc, mcsXap, Global Cache GC100, SqueezeBox, TWA_ONKYOINTEGRA, BLLogMonitor, BLPlugins, BLRadar, BLSpeech, BLZLog.aspx, HSTouch (Windows, iPhone, iPod), USB Mimo touchscreens, VMWare Server, Vortexbox, Windows Home Server, MyMovies, Windows Media Center, X10, ZWave, and much much much more.

Comment

Originally posted by zimmer62 View Post
                          Don't use A1
                          Yup, and if you use any Lightolier Compose devices, don't use C1 either

Don

Comment

Originally posted by codey View Post
                            ................I was thinking of finding a power supply which outputed 3v's and connected to the mains. Do you think this is the best way around the problem??

any thoughts???

Chees

Jim
                            Remember if you use mains power to run the sensors, and the sensor is not fitted with an eprom, then they will all revert to A1 & 2 if there is a power cut.
                            sigpic
                            A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Comment

yea did think of that, maybe add recharable batteries also so in the event of power failure, the config is not lost?

Comment

Working...
                              X