auto flushing toilets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

auto flushing toilets

being tired of having to remind the boys to flush, and thinking it would be cool to add tech to the john, i did some googling and found a few products. Here they are:

http://www.imarketcity.com/itsfseflause.html
    http://fresh-bet-home-fragrances.ama...source=froogle

Here are the questions:
    1. any thought on how either one of these could (easily) be connected up to HS, mainly for use as an occupancy sensor (would be great for light control, so the light doesn't "time out" while someone's "sitting around" reading a magazine or something)
    2. anyone have any experience or thoughts with either one of these items? good, bad, indifferent?
    3. any other items or ideas out there i'm not aware of, that may be cheaper or better?

Thanks,

Ian
    Plugins:
    BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Off the top of my head, I think you could do this with a DS10a and a motion detector:

Motion detects motion during 'sitting'. When the motion sends the first OFF, check the DS10a which would be wired to the handle. If there is not a flush within 'x' mins after the motion OFF, then voice reminder, etc.
    HS4Pro Running on a Raspberry Pi4
    68 Z-Wave Nodes, 175 Events, 359 Devices
    UPB modules via OMNI plugin/panel
    Plugins: Z-Wave, OMNI, HSTouch, weatherXML, EasyTrigger
    HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 Joggler

Comment

I actually did that, but then it became a game with the boys...to try to use the toilet without Alfred knowing, so they could do their business and sneak out of the bathroom undetected. it made for quite a messy bathroom!

also, it embarrassed some very new friends we have when we had them over for dinner once, and he didn't flush, and alfred caught him. woops! He'll never do that again!

The thing i liked about the devices i linked to is that they actually do the flushing for you.
      Plugins:
      BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Comment

Ha! That is too funny!
        HS4Pro Running on a Raspberry Pi4
        68 Z-Wave Nodes, 175 Events, 359 Devices
        UPB modules via OMNI plugin/panel
        Plugins: Z-Wave, OMNI, HSTouch, weatherXML, EasyTrigger
        HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 Joggler

Comment

yeah, it was one of those moments when i could decide to either get really angry, or laugh and remember when i was a kid. so, i laughed, smiled, and gave each of them a bottle of bleach spray and a rag.

as to the guest...no one ever mentioned it...but there was an awkward silence for sure!
          Plugins:

Comment

$68 isn't bad for the top one. I wonder how well these work?
            -Rupp
            sigpic

Comment

that's what i was thinking, too. I'll probably get a couple of them, and i'll let you know how they work.
              Plugins:

Comment

I built something like this for mine. I was goofing around with the idea that you could multiple flush if you wanted, and auto flush when the lid was closed.

Took me about 20 minutes to rig something up with my VEX kit, and program the micro-controller. It was kinda cool, but I'd prefer some sort of digital handle, so that if you flushed it manually it would work, or flush when sensing that you were done. The commercial sensors we have on our toilets at work are always flushing when you are still sitting there... NOT COOL.

In my house the seat and lid are to be put down so the cats don't play with the water, that would be easy to detect as well, you could remind someone to put it down also if they forget.

I think the double flushing is kinda cool since you don't have to wait around for the tank to refill. Press the button once and it'll flush once, press it twice and it'll wait and flush again.
                Joe (zimmer62)

BLSecurtiy, AC-RF2, RCS Serial Thermostats, RFXCOM SMarthome SwitchLinc, mcsXap, Global Cache GC100, SqueezeBox, TWA_ONKYOINTEGRA, BLLogMonitor, BLPlugins, BLRadar, BLSpeech, BLZLog.aspx, HSTouch (Windows, iPhone, iPod), USB Mimo touchscreens, VMWare Server, Vortexbox, Windows Home Server, MyMovies, Windows Media Center, X10, ZWave, and much much much more.

Comment

could you provide some schematics, parts lists, instructions, or pictures? I'm genuinely interested in how you did it!
                  Plugins:

Comment

There are just so many possibilities (opportunities)
                    How about a DS10 on the medicine cabinet door to catch snoops?
                    I had HS play a flush sound, for a short time, when the BR door was opened. I was 'asked' in no uncertain terms to remove it. I thought it was funny... she didn't.

-Anyway, detecting a flush would be easy with a DS10 sensor inside the tank.
                    -Getting motion detection from these devices would require some experimentation with the unit itself.
                    -Perhaps just keep the light on if the door is closed?
                    Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

Originally posted by Wadenut View Post
                      There are just so many possibilities (opportunities)
                      I had HS play a flush sound, for a short time, when the BR door was opened. I was 'asked' in no uncertain terms to remove it. I thought it was funny... she didn't.

-Anyway, detecting a flush would be easy with a DS10 sensor inside the tank.
                      -Getting motion detection from these devices would require some experimentation with the unit itself.
                      -Perhaps just keep the light on if the door is closed?

Yeah, don't I wish that the "door is shut, room is occupied" correlation would work with my boys! fact is, they leave the door open all to often (still working on the modesty thing), so the light would go off when they are in there...and believe me, when they are done, we'll want the door closed, so the light would be on when the room is empty!

I've been "asked" to undo a few of my great ideas too, I hear ya!
                      Plugins:

Comment

Originally posted by completelyhis View Post
                        could you provide some schematics, parts lists, instructions, or pictures? I'm genuinely interested in how you did it!
                        It was a couple years back that I did this, since then I've taken the whole thing apart (VEX is a robotics kit with a micro-controller brain similar to the Lego Mindstorm stuff) I don't have any schematics at the moment, and if I were to do it again, I'd be building it with an arduino micro-controller as it would be cheeper.. I do remember someone else building one, and they even added an LCD screen. http://blog.makezine.com/archive/200...ed_toilet.html

The arduino can be connected to the PC in a few different ways, including over usb,serial,zigbee,ethernet etc... You can get barebones controller kits for $15-$20, and you can hook up a $2 hobby servo from ebay right to them. (you don't need an LCD screen in your project)

Originally posted by Wadenut View Post
                        I wanted to fill my medicine cabinet with marbles, so it'll make a huge mess when someone opens it I'm sure that would backfire though.

Don't forget about the idea's that you've undone yourself because it turned out to not be such a great idea. My homeseer would read the email subject line to me when I got new email. Was really nice when I was all by myself, not so cool when the super-hot house cleaners were over, and it announces incoming email from match.com.
                        Joe (zimmer62)

BLSecurtiy, AC-RF2, RCS Serial Thermostats, RFXCOM SMarthome SwitchLinc, mcsXap, Global Cache GC100, SqueezeBox, TWA_ONKYOINTEGRA, BLLogMonitor, BLPlugins, BLRadar, BLSpeech, BLZLog.aspx, HSTouch (Windows, iPhone, iPod), USB Mimo touchscreens, VMWare Server, Vortexbox, Windows Home Server, MyMovies, Windows Media Center, X10, ZWave, and much much much more.

Comment

1-Wire Methane Detector to trigger event COURTESY FLUSH.
                          Make sure it turns on the fan for an hour also.

Are you forgetting to flush again Ian?

You're genious is just underappreciated....

~Bill

Comment

On it's first use I'll Christin it as "The Brower 5000 Stinkulator."

Plugins:

Comment

Mine don't stink

~Bill

Comment

Working...
                              X