Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CAT5 and DS10

Hi All,

I'm having all my internal doors replaced in a couple of weeks including the frames etc.....so this gives me a perfect opportunity to add contacts to every one, I currently have DS10's on a few but the transmitters aren't the best looking things and now I don't really want them mounted on the inside of the room.

So I wondered how far I could extend the wires on one, I can then run CAT5 to all the door frames for the contacts and place all the DS10's in a neat mounting under the stairs out of the way.

Has anybody extend the wires say 20 meters, I guessing that would be my longest cable run?

Cheers,
    Lance

I don't see it being an issue. Try it now by stringing it across the floor. To make it real world wrap the CAT-5 near some fluorescent bulbs and stuff. Twisted pair is pretty good stuff for low current signaling. It does get a little brittle so don't be too rough stringing it through walls and such. It will be a good set up I think.

~Bill

Comment

Are you going to use the magnetic contacts on the doors? Since you a putting in new doors you can use hinge switches instead. They are much better.

Steve Q
      HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
      2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

I know this does not answer your original question but since you have the door frames open.....

I had CAT 5 put in my door frames and I used 1 pair for a door magnetic reed switch to tell if the door is open or closed and another pair for a magnetic reed switch to tell if the door is locked or not. The lock switch is just a magnetic reed switch in the frame and I drilled a small hole in the Thumb-bolt cylinder and glued in a high power magnet that I purchased at Radio Shack.

The other side is using Stargate to detect if the switch is open or closed however I am testing out the use of the U421 USB interface in it's place when I phase out of Stargate. Using the Stargate plugin I can detect the open/closed from HS.

All my doors are wired back to my wiring closet and I guess the longest run is over 100 ft with no issues.

This works great when I go to bed at night I can tell which doors are locked. With the HSTouch it is even better.

Great feature to know the door is locked not just open.

Good Luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Q View Post
          Are you going to use the magnetic contacts on the doors? Since you a putting in new doors you can use hinge switches instead. They are much better.

Steve Q
          Hinge Switches new seen these where from?

Bill - Unfortunately the carpenter starts on the 23rd and I've only just ordered the DS10s from over the pond so not sure if they will arrive in time to test before I have to run the cable but I think I'm pretty confident just wanted some reassurance really. Thanks
          Lance

Comment

I have two gates that are quite a ways from my antenna and the signal was not reliable in cold weather, so I wired magnetic contacts from the gates to DS10s that are located closer to the house. One run is at least 300 feet. I used UV stabilized security wire and the reliability has improved to 100%. I would expect Cat5 to work just as well, but why not use security wire?
            Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
            HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Only reason to use CAT5 is I use it pretty much for everything and I have 300m in my shed!! What do you mean by security wire?
              Lance

Comment

Originally posted by lancenorton View Post
                What do you mean by security wire?
                He probably means 4 cond, non-twisted, 22g solid core. It it probably the least expensive if the wires never vibrate or have to move.

~Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Brower View Post
                  He probably means 4 cond, non-twisted, 22g solid core. It it probably the least expensive if the wires never vibrate or have to move.
                  Yep. But I've also seen stranded and 2-conductor too. Link
                  Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
                  HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Working...
                  X