Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pete
    replied
    Personally I would recommend using a Linksys WRT-54GL. Think you can find these for around $59.00. Drop the DD-WRT (mentioned above) OS on two of these. Create a wireless bridge between them. Very easy to do. I did it a while back providing internet access to my neighbors on a totally different subnet than mind. My house is not large and mostly have CAT5 all over but I like to be able to use wireless and have been playing with DD-WRT for a long time. I use two of the Linksys WRT-54GL's and one Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 and playing with an inwall (none lay personal updatable) combo Wireless AP/Cat5 device. I do not use any of these today as firewalls (except for the bridge to the neighbors house). I just set up one in FLA as a firewall/AP. Seems to hold up OK. I do have CAT5 though in every room in the house (office has 5 and son's room has three). I also have converted all of the AP's to POE. Much easier to install the AP in a good "radio footprint" area with POE. For longer distances you can can make very directional antenna's for practically nothing. I tested one made out of paper and aluminum foil with the bridge to the neighbors house.

Leave a comment:

• Stevech
    replied
    Originally posted by Wadenut View Post
    Here's the issue. I need LAN coverage in an area where it just isn't going to be practical to run cable, not to mention the cost. I have a spare Wi-Fi capable router which I'd like to use if possible to connect via Wi-Fi to my network and from it to service local wired devices. In all I actually have three routers, all DLINK: DIR-628, DIR-615 and WBR-2310, all Wi-Fi capable.
    The first two are currently in service as follows:
    The DIR-628 is acting as the router, serving the DIR-615 which is configured as a switch with the three other ports serving wired devices on the second floor. Both routers have Wi-Fi enabled and cover the property nicely. This is working well.
    The problem comes when I want to deploy Audreys (not Wi-Fi capable), to remote areas.
    The usual way to add or improve coverage in WiFi is to use an Access Point. It connects by Cat5 to a switch or switch within a router. Any cheap wireless router can be faked into being an access point (AP). On DSLreports.com, wireless LAN section, there's a sticky on how-to. Essentially, you connect up the w-router to a PC, disable the DHCP server, set the SSID, channel, encryption, etc. Then install it. Some products have an AP mode. Some products are sold as APs ($$$). Some products can accept new firmware called DD-WRT (see website) which makes the hardware behave as you wish: W-router, AP, bridge, WDS.

An access point that uses WiFi instead of cat5 to reach the router is called a WDS repeater. There's no standard for these so mixing vendors is tricky. And the repeater function halves the throughput, often unimportant.

Leave a comment:

• Wadenut
    replied
    Thanks for the confirmation Jack. I suspected as much, and no, according to the specs, none of the routers I have fit the bill.

Leave a comment:

• jackpod
    replied
    you need a wireless ethernet bridge, such as a Linksys WET11, designed to convert wireless to wired, I don't know if the wbr2310 has that capability

Leave a comment:

• Wadenut
    started a topic Router/Switch Wi-Fi configuration

Router/Switch Wi-Fi configuration

Here's the issue. I need LAN coverage in an area where it just isn't going to be practical to run cable, not to mention the cost. I have a spare Wi-Fi capable router which I'd like to use if possible to connect via Wi-Fi to my network and from it to service local wired devices. In all I actually have three routers, all DLINK: DIR-628, DIR-615 and WBR-2310, all Wi-Fi capable.
    The first two are currently in service as follows:
    The DIR-628 is acting as the router, serving the DIR-615 which is configured as a switch with the three other ports serving wired devices on the second floor. Both routers have Wi-Fi enabled and cover the property nicely. This is working well.
    The problem comes when I want to deploy Audreys (not Wi-Fi capable), to remote areas.
Working...
X