Cheap 1-WIre Tipping Bucket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheap 1-WIre Tipping Bucket

Noticed a Menard's ad this past SUN (12APR09) for a Digital Rain Guage with Thermometer. Looked similar to the rest of the wireless weather stations out there. It was $14.98 minus a $5.00 rebate. I purchased two of these. I am in the process of building a "new" one-wire outdoor setup. My rain bucket (Dallas Instruments) sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. It's on the roof next to my AAG weather station and two stories up. I haven't climbed up there yet to see what's up with it. For the time being I decided to retrofit the Menard's special with a dual Hobby-Boards counter to see how well it will work until I repair my other one. Here are some pictures. The processor/RF-Board has a reed switch on it so I soldered a couple of wires to it and connected those to the dual counter. The battery compartment is in the base and just the right size for the dual counter. This is where I installed the dual counter. If you want you can just remove the reed switch from the processor/RF board and mount / glue it so that it is triggered by the magnet and put the dual counter in the same compartment. You will most likely want to put some clear silicon where the wires go to the base. Not sure how accurate it will be until I test it.

Total Cost -
    $9.98 (with rebate) for tipping bucket plus tax.
    $28.00 Dual Hobby-Boards counter plus shipping
    ====================================
    $38.00
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Pete; April 13, 2009, 08:33 PM.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.12.X - HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.12.X
    HS4 Pro - V4.1.11.0 - Ubuntu 20.01/VB W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono
    HS4 Lite -

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Pete,

I don't have one near me, but at that price, I think I might be willing to buy one from you....are you willing?

--Dan
    Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

Dan,
      Not a problem. Will pick one up (will pay cash for this one and send you the rebate reciept). They have white and black ones. Which color do you want? I have been doing many "honey do's" and have been at the local Menards just about once every other day. Currently my second one is outside and connected. I want to compare it to the one wire reads.
      Pete
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.12.X - HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.12.X
      HS4 Pro - V4.1.11.0 - Ubuntu 20.01/VB W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono
      HS4 Lite -

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

Pete,

My 1-wire network is nowhere near where I would install this. Do you think a DS10a would work? I would write a script to track the ON/OFF cycles.

Steve Q
        HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
        2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Steve, I would say yes because the reed switch is just closing and opening with the bucket tipping. I put it outside today cutting the wiring for the Dallas Rain bucket on the roof and connecting it to this rain bucket.
          pete
          - Pete

Auto mator
          HS4 Lite -

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Q View Post
            Pete,

My 1-wire network is nowhere near where I would install this. Do you think a DS10a would work? I would write a script to track the ON/OFF cycles.

Steve Q
            I did this for my tipping bucket rain gauge using a DS-11A (the RadioShack equivalent of the DS10) and had some issues.

Since the reed switch is normally-open and is closed briefly when the bucket tips, the unit always reports that it's in the 'alert' state. Not a problem I thought, when a bucket tip occurs it should just report a 'normal' and then back to an 'alert.'

What I found, however, was that the 'on time' of the reed switch is quite short and significantly less than the time it takes the transmitter to send the 'normal' indication. The result was that either the transmitter did not send the trailing 'alert' or the receiver chain (W800RF2-ACRF2-HS) did not handle it properly. In either case, it was not reliable.

My solution was to stretch the 'on time' of the reed switch by adding a 100 ohm resistor in series with the reed switch and 47uF capacitor across the DS-11A input.

The capacitor is normally charged up to the battery voltage (3v in my case) by an internal pull-up resistor in the microcontroller. When the reed switch is closed by the magnet, the cap is quickly discharged through the switch and resistor to ground. The micro senses this and transmits the 'normal' signal. The cap is then slowly re-charged through the micro's internal pull-up and after about 3 seconds it reaches the micro's 'turn-on' voltage which triggers the micro to transmit the 'alert' signal. The process is repeated on the next bucket tip.

After implementing the 'pulse stretcher,' the system worked perfectly and has been flawless for more than 2 years. (That reminds me, I need to go check the batteries in that unit...)
            Last edited by mfisher; April 15, 2009, 11:07 AM.
            Best regards,
            -Mark-

If you're not out on the edge, you're taking up too much room!
            Interested in 3D maps? Check out my company site: Solid Terrain Modeling

Comment

Mark,

Thank you for providing the information about "stretching" the pulse for the tipping bucket. This is extremely helpful. I have some other applications that might be able to use this approach. The first one that comes to mind is a doorbell. I tried unsuccessfully in the past to use a DS10a. I think your pulse stretcher will work.

Thanks for your willingness to share your great ideas.

Steve Q
              HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
              2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

You're welcome.
                Best regards,
                -Mark-

Comment

Tipping bucket is holding up well. I put it inside one of my berms about 100ft from the house. Only problem is that it most likely will get sprayed when the sprinkler system is r unning so may move it
                  - Pete

Auto mator
                  HS4 Lite -

Comment

I've had 3 RainWise tipping bucket/Reed relay rain gauges, and 1 from La Crosse. None were very reliable long term. The magnet-to-reed distance seems critical and the plastic wears.

The biggest issue is that you have to have it mounted such that you can clean out the debris frequently, and don't put it near a tree due to leaves falling in.

The ones with a large diameter collector and a large (1 inch or more) hole in the bottom are most immune to debris. Those with a small orifice funnel really tend to plug up.

I wish there was a better technique - not sure why they don't use an opto-isolator, if it's wired and a few mA can go to the unit.

Here, we don't have snow/ice issues with them either.

Comment

Originally posted by mfisher View Post
                      I did this for my tipping bucket rain gauge using a DS-11A (the RadioShack equivalent of the DS10) and had some issues.

Since the reed switch is normally-open and is closed briefly when the bucket tips, the unit always reports that it's in the 'alert' state. Not a problem I thought, when a bucket tip occurs it should just report a 'normal' and then back to an 'alert.'

What I found, however, was that the 'on time' of the reed switch is quite short and significantly less than the time it takes the transmitter to send the 'normal' indication. The result was that either the transmitter did not send the trailing 'alert' or the receiver chain (W800RF2-ACRF2-HS) did not handle it properly. In either case, it was not reliable.

My solution was to stretch the 'on time' of the reed switch by adding a 100 ohm resistor in series with the reed switch and 47uF capacitor across the DS-11A input.

The capacitor is normally charged up to the battery voltage (3v in my case) by an internal pull-up resistor in the microcontroller. When the reed switch is closed by the magnet, the cap is quickly discharged through the switch and resistor to ground. The micro senses this and transmits the 'normal' signal. The cap is then slowly re-charged through the micro's internal pull-up and after about 3 seconds it reaches the micro's 'turn-on' voltage which triggers the micro to transmit the 'alert' signal. The process is repeated on the next bucket tip.

After implementing the 'pulse stretcher,' the system worked perfectly and has been flawless for more than 2 years. (That reminds me, I need to go check the batteries in that unit...)
                      Mark, can you provide a circuit diagram for the "pulse stretcher". I have tried several iterations of a 100 ohm resistor and a 47uf cap and I am not able to get a longer pulse. I am working with a manual pushbutton switch (doorbell) right now. Nothing seems to lengthen the pulse?

Steve Q

Comment

Ask and you shall receive...
                        Attached Files
                        Best regards,
                        -Mark-

Comment

Mark,

Thanks for providing the elegant circuit diagram. After further testing, I have come to the conclusion that the DS10A circuitry must be quite different than the DS11A. When a 47uf capacitor is connected across the DS10A, its LED flashes immediately (but it does not send alert or normal) and the the LED flashes about once per minute. When the cap is removed the DS10A sends an "alert" signal. Including the switch and 100ohm resistor in the circuit has no effect on the DS10A, it is not triggered when the switch is closed.

I have also come to the conclusion the trigger response time for the DS10A must be much faster than the DS11A. Using a push button switch, I am thus far unable to push the button fast enough to make the DS10A "miss" the trigger. That said, I think the DS10A might work without any modification.

Out of curiousity, what is the duration of the pulse output of the reed switch on the tipping bucket?

Thanks,
                          Steve Q

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Q View Post
                            Thanks for providing the elegant circuit diagram.
                            You're welcome.

After further testing, I have come to the conclusion that the DS10A circuitry must be quite different than the DS11A. When a 47uf capacitor is connected across the DS10A, its LED flashes immediately (but it does not send alert or normal) and the the LED flashes about once per minute. When the cap is removed the DS10A sends an "alert" signal. Including the switch and 100ohm resistor in the circuit has no effect on the DS10A, it is not triggered when the switch is closed.
                            I don't have any DS10s nor have I tested any so it's entirely possible that they are different.

I have also come to the conclusion the trigger response time for the DS10A must be much faster than the DS11A. Using a push button switch, I am thus far unable to push the button fast enough to make the DS10A "miss" the trigger. That said, I think the DS10A might work without any modification.
                            The DS11As that I have are very quick in capturing events. The issue I was having was that HS was missing some of them and I really did not take the time to fully understand at what point in the communication chain things broke. Stretching the time between reports seemed like the quickest and most direct route for me. The stock DS10 may work just fine for you.

Out of curiousity, what is the duration of the pulse output of the reed switch on the tipping bucket?
                            Well, that all depends on your tipping bucket. Mine varies between 20 and 50mS.
                            Best regards,
                            -Mark-

Comment

Working...
                            X