Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how do you keep people from tuning out TTS announcements?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tmcgowan
    replied
    Originally posted by Rupp View Post
    The ROC Randomizer plugin will help tremendously with this issue. It keeps the phrases from becoming mundane.
    I agree with you Rupp. The funny thing is that when a randomized announcement occurs that someone is approaching the front door (motion sensor), our Bishion (dog) goes to the front door and starts barking. She's evidently memorized each of the five sentences that describe the situation. I've even avoided using the same words just to see if it's one word she's keying off of. Sometimes she really amazes us as to how smart she is, or thinks she is!

However, back on the original topic, probably having too many announcements may have something to do with it. Here are the recurring events as well as event driven ones:

Recurring:
    - Morning Greeting - "Today is Tuesday, August 25th have a nice day"
    - Current weather (every two hours on the hour from 9am until 7 pm)
    - Morning Words of wisdon - the random sayings that come with randomizer plugin
    - Monday evening take out the trash announcement, unless the RFID tags are out of range, meaning that I already did it.
    - Today's sunset and tomorrow's sunrise time announcment

Event Driven:
    - Vehical enters or exists the driveway - Metalic road sensor
    - Mailbox opened/closed
    - Garage door opening/closing
    - Garage door closed - announce last caller and vmx information
    - Someone approaching the front door
    - Someone pushing the doorbell
    - Whos vehical just arrived home - RFID based
    - Water alerts in the basement (so, far, this one hasn't been triggered by the real thing)
    - Someone passing through the back yard (infra red fence sensor) to catch deer munching on our flowers and messing up our trees.
    - Open garage door warnings at 10pm if one of them is left open.
    - Unlocked kitchen door (Schlage lock) - the only problem here is that HS always sees the door as unlocked, unless you change the status manually on the web page.

So, I guess I've probably over done the voice thing a bit!

Leave a comment:

• Rupp
    replied
    The ROC Randomizer plugin will help tremendously with this issue. It keeps the phrases from becoming mundane.

Leave a comment:

• sdanks
    replied
    Well the problem is (for all of us) we set these things up, and then nothing happens to the kids or to us if we choose to ignore the announcements. I try to do the announcements as reminders, not as commands. That helps me to remember, not make me irritated. I wanted to put some big red buttons throughout the house that would be an acknowledge button, but my wife said, no big red buttons. Not after we just remodeled the place. I wonder if I can sell her on doorbell push buttons? Humm. they would look good and glow at night....might think that one over. . .

Leave a comment:

• zimmer62
    replied
    Originally posted by ArbWare View Post
    This is interesting..

We have problems with the cat liter as well..

Could you program something .. recurring that did:

Thursday night... 6:00 p.m.. Announce.. "I think it's time to change the litter."

If the Big Red Button hasn't been pushed yet..
    Friday night... 6 and 7:PM announce " You really should change the liter."

If the big red button still hasnt' been pushed..
    Friday night .. 10:00 p.m. ... "You really don't want me to wake you up at 8:00 in the morning for the cat litter do you?"

Saturday morning 8:00 A.M... "The cat is plotting your demise as we speak..."
    Saturday and 10:00 a.m. and every 2 hours until button is pressed..
    "I'm probably annoying you .. but you know it isn't much fun for me either.. change the litter."

I could have a virtual that is set "on" every thursday at 6:00 p.m... and is reset when the big red button is pressed..

But would i have a seperate event for each of the above reminders?.. or could it be scripted with some kind of ini file.. (to make it more flexible and universal.. (trash every hour on thursday night.... Check spa chemicals every saturday through sunday.. etc..)

What would be the best way to go about this?
    That's pretty much exactly what I was doing, I'm not sure if I still have the script, but it was pretty complicated as it wasn't just doing the cat litter it was doing all of my reminders, and it had settings for how long between each big red button press, and if something could be snoozed, and how long it could be snoozed for etc. It was a few years back that I was doing that stuff, it also integrated with my audreys, displaying the message on the screen, with a button the screen to snooze it.

I'll have to dig, if not maybe it's time to rewrite it with little bit more customization for other people and other options. I like the idea of creating one event that reoccurs every hour or when motions is sensed or something like that, and then it checks to see if virtual devices are on... if any device is on it'll bug you, and if they are off it wont.

Leave a comment:

• ArbWare
    replied
    Originally posted by zimmer62 View Post
    I don't have this setup right now, but I used to get a nagging reminder that required me to go and actually clean the cat litter or it wouldn't stop nagging.

I put x10 big red button next to the litter box that I'd have to hit, to disable the every 5 minute nagging.

Ultimately I disabled it because it was so annoying.
    This is interesting..

We have problems with the cat liter as well..

Could you program something .. recurring that did:

Thursday night... 6:00 p.m.. Announce.. "I think it's time to change the litter."

If the Big Red Button hasn't been pushed yet..
    Friday night... 6 and 7:PM announce " You really should change the liter."

If the big red button still hasnt' been pushed..
    Friday night .. 10:00 p.m. ... "You really don't want me to wake you up at 8:00 in the morning for the cat litter do you?"

Saturday morning 8:00 A.M... "The cat is plotting your demise as we speak..."
    Saturday and 10:00 a.m. and every 2 hours until button is pressed..
    "I'm probably annoying you .. but you know it isn't much fun for me either.. change the litter."

I could have a virtual that is set "on" every thursday at 6:00 p.m... and is reset when the big red button is pressed..

But would i have a seperate event for each of the above reminders?.. or could it be scripted with some kind of ini file.. (to make it more flexible and universal.. (trash every hour on thursday night.... Check spa chemicals every saturday through sunday.. etc..)

What would be the best way to go about this?

Leave a comment:

• completelyhis
    replied
    I like it! I have enough awareness around the house so that alfred knows if they do something or not...i don't mind making it a bit more annoying until they do it!

Great idea.

Leave a comment:

• zimmer62
    replied
    I don't have this setup right now, but I used to get a nagging reminder that required me to go and actually clean the cat litter or it wouldn't stop nagging.

I put x10 big red button next to the litter box that I'd have to hit, to disable the every 5 minute nagging.

Ultimately I disabled it because it was so annoying.

Some ideas I've had were to use a appliance module on the TV, or some device that I really want to use that can't be enabled until the nag chores were done. I had an active RFID tag on the trash can and it would bug me to move the trash until I actually moved it to the street... this example was actually very successful, as I didn't have an easy way to disable or snooze that nag.

I've though of flashing lights too... like a mini strobe in my bedroom that would strobe once a minute or something until I did the chores, that way I couldn't go to bed and fall asleep until I fixed it... (dual purpose could be used to wake you up, don't turn it off until the shower water is running)

Leave a comment:

• Uncle Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by completelyhis View Post
    BTW, the boys do listen to the announcement about only having one minute left for their shower, but that could have something to do with the lights turning off at the end of that minute! :-)
    I think you've hit on at least part of the solution. Nagging reminders quickly lose their punch if ignoring them is all that is required to avoid something that is viewed as an imposition. The reminders might be more productive if they were perceived as helpful - to avoid an undesirable consequence that follows not doing what needs to be done, for example.

Leave a comment:

• TechHA
    replied
    Randomizing the announcements made the WAF go way up! I try to update the saying every few months too, just to keep everyone on our toes. Guests really get a kick out of it too.

Leave a comment:

• completelyhis
    replied
    Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
    What is the consequence of tuning out 'Alfred'? Are tasks not being accomplished because reminders are being ignored? Or, is there something else?

Are you sure he is being tuned out, or is the message just no longer operating at the conscious level? I tend to use wav files rather than spoken words. Even the cats begin to learn what they mean and act on them. But, it's not at all uncommon to have no conscious recollection of hearing them, even when appropriate actions are taken.
    The reminders are not being consciously registered, or acted on. I had the day off yesterday driving the church bus on a field trip for my wife's school choir) so I got to be around the house during the morning routine. I was sitting there with my cup of coffee, enjoying the morning, and noticed that Alfred would say, "Please feed the dogs, you will be leaving soon." or something close to that. Well, the dogs didn't get fed. a little while later, he said, "Hey stinky breath boys, please remember to brush your teeth." Well, 0 out of 3 boys had brushed their teeth 10 minutes later, and they were needing to be headed out the door for school. I know they "heard" the words...but they were probably no more than back ground noise, because it's the same thing they've heard hundreds of mornings all the school year, same time, same volume, same verbiage.

I like the idea of "randomizing" the TTS announcements. I'm going to try to set that up this weekend.

BTW, the boys do listen to the announcement about only having one minute left for their shower, but that could have something to do with the lights turning off at the end of that minute! :-)

Leave a comment:

• Wadenut
    replied
    Cats are far from dumb. Mine know when I'm coming home (car announcement) and wait by the door. At dusk/dawn, there's an announcement just before the lights switch on/off and the drapes open/close. One of the cats comes running to watch the drapes move.

So far as people go: Hourly time announcements are followed by a random phrase (quotes, insults, etc.) chosen from a growing text file containing over 500 choices and growing. It's become a game here... "Who said that one?" These, the cats ignore. I guess they're not well read.

Leave a comment:

• rmasonjr
    replied
    Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
    Even the cats begin to learn what they mean and act on them.
    It's funny you say that - my cats flip-out when they hear 'front yard motion detected' which is an indication someone is nearing the front door. The other spoken reminders they couldnt care less about...

Leave a comment:

• Uncle Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by completelyhis View Post
    It seems that every 4-6 months my kids and/or wife begin to tune out "Alfred." he just becomes background noise to them.
    What is the consequence of tuning out 'Alfred'? Are tasks not being accomplished because reminders are being ignored? Or, is there something else?

Are you sure he is being tuned out, or is the message just no longer operating at the conscious level? I tend to use wav files rather than spoken words. Even the cats begin to learn what they mean and act on them. But, it's not at all uncommon to have no conscious recollection of hearing them, even when appropriate actions are taken.

Leave a comment:

• tmcgowan
    replied
    I preceed important TTS announcements with the door bell sound from Star Trek TNG.

Leave a comment:

• nightwalker
    replied
    Not the exact one I'm using but, those who need will figure it out.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X