Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

replacing washer and dryer...any cool ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

replacing washer and dryer...any cool ideas?

are there any "smart" washer/dryer units out yet? I'm looking to replace my set, and I figured I'd look and see if there are any "home automation" friendly features on any of them. I couldn't turn up anything in 10 minutes with Google, so I figured I'd check with you all!

Thanks,

Ian
    Plugins:
    BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

I sure wish there was... with two daughters, I live for laundry....

Oh.. you didn't mean that kind of smart. Sorry, I couldn't resist!

In case you wanted to know... and I'm sure you didn't, I also live for driving them around ....

Rob
    HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

A while back I remember some students at MSU made a talking washer and dryer for blind people...

I emailed one of the Profs involved, and got some interesting info back..

The person who worked with them was Mr. Stephen Blosser, an engineer with the Artificial Language Laboratory, email [REMOVED]. But all the work was done on Whirlpool's "state of the art" Duet appliances (washer, dryer), which use a parallel "bus" of lines between controllers and display, which the
      students tied into, picking off the signals they needed. They had to figure
      out (reverse engineer) the signals on the bus, as Whirlpool wouldn't provide
      that information.

That information was also from 3 years ago, so either way, still gives you the mentality of a company providing information even to a university...

My guess is that this type of feature just isn't going to be demanded for 5 or 10 more years.... As the little texting kiddies grow up and learn how to do laundry, they are going to ask... why can't my washing machine twitter me when it's done... And since someday those kids will be the exec's at those companies it'll happen eventually.

sucks for us
      Joe (zimmer62)

BLSecurtiy, AC-RF2, RCS Serial Thermostats, RFXCOM SMarthome SwitchLinc, mcsXap, Global Cache GC100, SqueezeBox, TWA_ONKYOINTEGRA, BLLogMonitor, BLPlugins, BLRadar, BLSpeech, BLZLog.aspx, HSTouch (Windows, iPhone, iPod), USB Mimo touchscreens, VMWare Server, Vortexbox, Windows Home Server, MyMovies, Windows Media Center, X10, ZWave, and much much much more.

Comment

I hope I'm dead and gone before it comes to that!
        Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

I have installed a current sensor on the circuit going to my washer and dryer. I have a script that will allow Homeseer to know when the washer is finished and when the dryer is finished. It makes a whole house announcement (but it could also send an email....) I also track the amount of electricity and water used. This is done without adding anything to the washer or dryer.

Steve Q
          HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
          2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Thats the route I think most of us have gone. Either that or a reed switch and magnet glued or taped to the dial.

There is more information you might like to get, or even control remotely that wouldn't be possible this route. I think it's okay for most of us to just get notified when the laundry needs changing. I think it would be interesting to get notified when it's low on soap like some of the really high tech models offer, or be able to initiate a dewrinkle mode in the morning when I start my shower or something.
            Joe (zimmer62)

BLSecurtiy, AC-RF2, RCS Serial Thermostats, RFXCOM SMarthome SwitchLinc, mcsXap, Global Cache GC100, SqueezeBox, TWA_ONKYOINTEGRA, BLLogMonitor, BLPlugins, BLRadar, BLSpeech, BLZLog.aspx, HSTouch (Windows, iPhone, iPod), USB Mimo touchscreens, VMWare Server, Vortexbox, Windows Home Server, MyMovies, Windows Media Center, X10, ZWave, and much much much more.

Comment

We bought an LG last year and I believe they sell a remote announcer pluggin for it to tell you when it's finished. Don't know what else it might do.
              LG seems to play around with some stuff like that as I remember a few years back they had a refrigerator with a PC in the door.
              Might try contacting them but with any of the manufacturers you'd probably be lucky if you got a hold of anyone that would know what you wanted.
              Good luck and keep us informed if you find anything..

Comment

Some have said that these high end front-loading washers have a problem: mildew smell/look if you don't pull the clothes out right away (minutes), and same for the door gasket. I heard of class action lawsuits. True?

Comment

We have read that also and have taken some of the suggetions that we read such as only using powdered soap. and when the washer is not being used we have a bongi cord that leaves the washer door open about an inch so everything can dry out.
                  But I can see how you could get a problem, especially as humid as it gets here in Louisiana.
                  I remember as a kid my mom had the front opening type washer back in the 50's and it would get a buildup in the gaskets etc. Just never thought about leaving the door open to dry out.
                  We've had the units probably a year to a year and a half so time will tell.

Comment

The one I'm considering replacing is a frontloader (Kenmore) and it has never had mildew problems...maybe it's only an LG issue? what is the LG model you have which supports the announcement plugin?

I know the DIY things people have done to give HS awareness of the washer/dryer, and I have no problem doing that, I was just curious to know if those ideas may actually be incorporated into the units by the manufacturers yet.

thanks,

Ian
                    Plugins:
                    BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Comment

Our LG is a WM2688H. There were some reviews on the internet of the LG Remote Washer/drier monitoring system back in 2007.
                      Some seem to like it and others had some issues. Seems that it will monitor the washer or the drier but not both at the same time. Others were having problems with it transmitting over the power lines. Sounds like the X-10 issue we see at times.
                      Be interesting to get a unit and take it apart to see what other things could be done or monitored with it but right now I don't have the time nor the money for another project.

We looked at the Kenmores also and they have good reviews. Not really sure how we wound up with the LG except it was end of the year pricing, plus my daughter has one and likes hers.

Good luck with your project.

Comment

Originally posted by buvens View Post
                        We have read that also and have taken some of the suggetions that we read such as only using powdered soap. and when the washer is not being used we have a bongi cord that leaves the washer door open about an inch so everything can dry out.
                        But I can see how you could get a problem, especially as humid as it gets here in Louisiana.
                        I remember as a kid my mom had the front opening type washer back in the 50's and it would get a buildup in the gaskets etc. Just never thought about leaving the door open to dry out.
                        We've had the units probably a year to a year and a half so time will tell.

In our Miele, we use powdered soap as well. Liquid detergents do seem to trigger more mildew "smell" issues. Also, occasionally we run a load or two with this: http://www.smellywasher.com/. It seems to work work fairly well. Leaving the door "cracked" a bit when not in use is also a good idea.

Don

Comment

I tried to Google +amish +home +automation but there were few results.

I find this odd.

~Bill

Comment

Maybe a rope tied to my washboard. the rope runs up to a pulley tied to an overhead branch, and has a bell on it.

This way I will know when the laundry is being done!
                            Plugins:

Comment

Originally posted by completelyhis View Post
                              Maybe a rope tied to my washboard. the rope runs up to a pulley tied to an overhead branch, and has a bell on it.

This way I will know when the laundry is being done!

Regards,

Andrew B.

Comment

Working...
                              X