Great deal for a Asus Eee PC 900

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great deal for a Asus Eee PC 900

Just purchased from woot dot com. Great deal for $169.99. My sister bought an Atom from the local BB for $300 and I kept telling her to wait...but I ended up playing with it last week and was impressed so I couldn't pass up on this deal.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.12.X - HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.12.X
    HS4 Pro - V4.1.11.0 - Ubuntu 20.01/VB W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono
    HS4 Lite -

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

4GB Solid State Disk. Hmm.
    Linux not Windows. OK if you can cope.

The netbooks are going to make Apple's iBooks so bloated in price - so as to really question if they need to finish morphing from computers to music and gaming.

I have an Intel Atom motherboard (mini-ITX). It, plus $20 of RAM and a reused hard disk and for $100 you have a PC. Have run Linux, XP and Win 7 on it. Even onboard graphics do well with large LCD monitor's native resolution. Ethernet, SATA, IDE, USB, PS2, RS232. What a deal for a $70 (retail) motherboard.

Comment

I had to replace a laptop I use for work and went with the 904 model, it runs XP-home with a 160gHD. For the price it's a sweet little machine. I did upgrade the memory to a 2gig chip but other than that nothing. It sure is a lot smaller and lighter than the old Dell laptop. I'm sure there are things it won't do but so far I haven't found any, at least any I use at work.
      Marty
      ------
      XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
      Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

Comment

Yes my sister bought one last week. The Acer with 2megs/160 gig HD for $300 and change. I plan on upgrading mine with a 160G HD that I have sitting around and upping the memory to 2 Gigs and installing XP on it. I have read that some folks have installed BT inside of the box. I plan on using mine purely as a Netbook.

Stevech I was thinking of purchasing an Atom MB for my CarPC. It is currently using a Via Epia 1.2Mhz with 2 Gig of memory.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.12.X - HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.12.X
        HS4 Pro - V4.1.11.0 - Ubuntu 20.01/VB W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono
        HS4 Lite -

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

Pete
          the Via board for the car: too slow? The Atom dual-core Intel mobo when driving my LCD at 1600x1050x32 is a little slower than my desktop in moving windows. Not much. Scrolling in windows is the same. Disk I/O speed (USB and SATA) is about the same. So for non-gamers, these $70 motherboards including CPU, graphics, sound, LAN, SATA, USB, Serial are so good that I wonder if Intel is starting a trend that will kabosh ASUS and the other long-time motherboard vendors.

Comment

Testing - three different setups - really only mostly play music though...but testing internet via 3G - 2 mini-ITX and 1 mini PC.

1 - Via Epia - 1.2 Ghz/2 Gigs of memory - Video is fast - music, DiVx is good, internet a bit slow - multitasking a bit slow.
            2 - Intel - 1.6 Ghz Celeron - 2 Gigs of memory - faster better than #1
            3 - Mini PC - Cappucino - 1.2 Ghz PIII - 512 Memory - around the same as #1.

A gentlemen in Sweden just purchased the Atom board you mentioned above and testing a similar setup to the one I have. That has got me thinking about replacing the Via MB.

BTW one of my vehicles has had a Via Epia setup now for about 4 years or so and I have had no problems with it and the software that is running - I have just completed a setup for a second vehicle but have less space to work with and I want to make the setup look aesthetically pleasing (to me). It is currently connected to the Bus of the car and will monitor and do all kinds of things connected to the bus (turn on lights, open windows etc) but if this computer could be real time connected to the ODB port too then I could get more information from the car and still be able to play music....

Intel always wanted the lead but I don't believe they will ever eliminate the competition.
            - Pete

Auto mator
            HS4 Lite -

Comment

with the Intel Atom board I have, MPEG videos in media player and SageTV play OK. I wouldn't run any other apps at the same time though, or the dropped frame rate will go up.

playing mp3/audio is no problem; light load.

If you have $250 to spend, look at the pico-ITX boards. I haven't used one, but looks nice.
              see mini-itx.com

Comment

Thanks Steve....will look...
                - Pete

Auto mator
                HS4 Lite -

Comment

Have done more research. I am currently testing with three setups on the newer vehicle. The old vehicle (BMW E46) has a CarPC in a Morex case mounted in the trunk. Its using a Via Epia 10000 or so MB. Been running well now for about 4 years or so. Its running XP and it has a 80 HDD in it. It will play DiVx movies fine and I use it mostly for playing back MP3's. Its set up for BT, WLAN and I can get to the internet while driving via my HTC BT internet sharing. The newer vehicle (BMW E83) testing involved and will be changing:
                  1 - a "new" Via Epia 10000 MB with both a DVD/CD and PCMCIA/CF reader on it with more memory and a bigger HD in a VoomIIPC case - (which is too big - kind of looks like an amplifier type case) and not sure yet where to mount it.
                  2 - a pre-Atom 1.6 Celeron mini-ITX MB which is pretty fast and maybe mounting it in an even smaller CarPC case (found one which is about 8X7X3)
                  3 - A mini-PC I bought which is running a dual-core CPU in a 6X6 case. Currently using this one though for MCE for my LCD.
                  4 - A mini-PC MB which I have a "few" of running in the house today for touchscreens.
                  5 - a pico-ITX - which will do what I want and have the smallest footprint. This will fit in the "rack" near the NAV / Sirius / BT / Amp area of the E83 with a non invasive look to it and actually be almost the same size as the video/IBUS interface which I just installed.

BTW - Just got the EEE PC yesterday - I am impressed. Most likely will be updating it with the following:
                  - Blue tooth - wierd cuz the MB has the pins for a BT connector but not in place. - So you can solder one on or just use a combo WLAN/BT mini PCI-E card.
                  - bigger HDD
                  - double the memory from 1G to 2 G

Came with Linux on it. Swapping SSD out for a propiertary PCI-E CF reader and also a PCI-E ZIF card. More for playing with various OS setups. A few years back I had a similiarly sized touchscreen laptop. Think I have it around somewhere. It ran at about 300-400Mhz Windows 98. A bit heavier than the EEE PC but the same size. I did use it for a traveling laptop to do email etc. With the easy swapping out of HDD space will be testing a new Linux CarPC ap. which will boot up off of a flash disk. This netbook is being totally modded / hacked on the various forums I am reading. One person did a touch screen add with no soldering and actually flipped the screen and has it mounted and set up as a touch screen. Other folks are taking to redesigning and cutting the case to provide the addition of external SATA drives...Putting embedded GPS's in them, etc. It guess it could be considered the bridge PC between a Microsoft Mobile PDA /IPhone Phone and a full sized and featured laptop. I am starting to see folks also adding GSM cards internally to the EEE PC for 3G surfing. I am seeing that it does a decent job with video so theoritically I could put a bunch of movies on a flash card / use the BT stereo headset to listen/watch movies on a plane.
                  Last edited by Pete; June 19, 2009, 09:50 AM.
                  - Pete

Auto mator
                  HS4 Lite -

Comment

I just found my "old" Metrobook which I haven't looked at in quite a while. I did use it for travel for about 1 year. It did the job. Not sure though why the obsession with touch screens back then. Here are some interesting pics.
                    Attached Files
                    - Pete

Auto mator
                    HS4 Lite -

Comment

I didn't get a case with the "Woot" special but the one for the Metrobook is just the right size. BTW the Metrobook is heavier but its dimensions are similar to the ASUS EEEPC 901A. Its a bit heavier and the batteries never really lasted too long. It was running a newer Intel low power processor on a sort of mini-card.
                      Attached Files
                      - Pete

Auto mator
                      HS4 Lite -

Comment

Steve - purchased a "new" Intel mini-ITX Dual core Atom board to test replace the 1.6 Ghz Celeron processor. I have been using the Celeron board in the new CarPC and it boots much faster than the older Epia board. The new Atom Intel CarPC will be utilizing a small metal mini ITX case with bootable CF/CD/DVD rom drive. I was able to get a "deal" of $60 on this new MB. Next part to this endeavor is migrating OS to Linux but using the same application as I am currently using in Windows. The HD/CD will be just media storage and the CF drive will be utilized just for the OS boot drive.

BTW purchased a 64Gig mini-PCIE SSD drive for the EEEPC 900A. It works well and is pretty fast. The case is so small that I would have to carve it a bit to fit a 1.8" ZIF drive it it. I did purchase two other propietary mini-PCIE cards for it as an experiment. One of these will give me a CF card drive (with additional USB ports) and the other one gives me a ZIF drive. The real test for the computer will be on the next road trip and seeing how it functions replacing my currently used laptop.

I have heard rumors that ASUS is dropping this line of notebooks cuz they are just not selling and moving to the 10" screen netbooks....it is kind of hard to type on the keyboard of the 900A.
                        - Pete

Auto mator
                        HS4 Lite -

Comment

I put my Intel Atom motherboard (cost $69 at Fry's long ago) in a small enclosure that holds a 3.5" SATA disk, low profile DVD, power supply, and room for a 2.5" drive internally. Has eSata connector too.

Runs Win 7 RC1 just fine. Also had Linux on it (Ubuntu and one other).

There's a later version of this mobo that has gigE.

I was surprised that the on-board graphics did just fine driving native resolution of my 22" LCD.

Comment

The new CarPC build is using a laptop SATA and slim DVD/CD. I found a source in HKG for mini-ITX MII 160 watt style automotive power supplies. These are roughly less than half of what they go for here in the US. ($80 USD here / $30 USD HKG). The video out goes to an RGB to NAV display box in the car. The boot time is great in that I hear the XP boot up sound just as I start to drive the car. I am using the GPS IBUS messages now to sync the time for the PC and the Car automatically. Wondering why after so many years of the same design that the MFG didn't do that.
                            - Pete

Auto mator
                            HS4 Lite -

Comment

Working...
                            X