Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asking the impossible?

All,

Still new to HA so hoping I can get some advice...

I'm looking for a cheap (or free) solution to turn on and off a 9 volt relay from the serial port via a script.

Since being made redundant my project has had to be put on the back burner and it's now driving me up the wall.

Could anybody help with the hardware or scripting?

Thanks

Does the PC you are using have a joystick port? I have not used one myself but if you do a search of these forums you may find a bunch of things that use it, and the parts you would need would probably be pretty cheap

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply JohnBoy.

Unfortunately not, ironically I have a joystick PCI card but no spare PCI ports.

Thanks to Smee I have the RFID set up but my plans to buy (and hopefully learn to program) a Netiom xap to control the door strike have gone by the wayside due to lack of funds - desperate isn't it?

Comment

The most simple is when a comport is opened, the rts line usually goes high, which probably could operate a transistor/relay combo.
        Why I like my 2005 rio yellow Honda S2000 with the top down, and more!

Comment

Thanks Zoomkat,

Any ideas about the transistor/relay combo? I don't want to blow the port by arbitrarily connecting things up.

(I really am a novice at this).

Cheers

Comment

A google search for "parallel port relay schematic" will find pages like below. The parallel port examples are very similar to the rts line on/off setup.

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...den/r_ctrl.htm
            Why I like my 2005 rio yellow Honda S2000 with the top down, and more!

Comment

Thanks Zoomkat.

After reading a few sites I've realised just how little I understand about this - I'm out of my depth.
              I think given my (lack of) knowledge with this I may stick with an appliance module and a 9v DC transformer until I can wrap my head around it.

X10 was always a last option for this as I didn't want a false positive opening (and leaving open) the front door but until I can spend some time trying to take this all in then it's going to have to do.

The idea was to have the front door with no key access at all but I'm being too ambitious.

Thanks for your help. It's certainly appreciated.

Comment

this site. I've constructed the circuit on a breadboard and plan to test it when junior's in bed.

It will either work or fail spectacularly. We shall see...

Comment

Hi

That will work - and trigger whenever the serial port is opened.

You would have been better making up a parallel port device, as that would have given you 8 outputs and there are a couple of plugins around ready to go.

That assumes you have a real parallal port though!

David
                  ---------------------------------------------------http://weather.penicuik.org

Comment

I would have considered that as an option if the parallel port wasn't already in use by the LaserJet.

I'm currently looking in to selling the house. The bank cancelled the wrong Payment Protection Insurance and since being made redundant I've had to make a claim on it. It doesn't cover the full amount of the mortgage so I'm now in arrears.
                    There are two options, sell it or have it taken.

Thanks for your help everyone, but this is going to have to wait for the moment.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Here's to hoping you're able to sell quickly and for what you need it to sell for!

Ian

Originally posted by FourQ View Post
                      I would have considered that as an option if the parallel port wasn't already in use by the LaserJet.

I'm currently looking in to selling the house. The bank cancelled the wrong Payment Protection Insurance and since being made redundant I've had to make a claim on it. It doesn't cover the full amount of the mortgage so I'm now in arrears.
                      There are two options, sell it or have it taken.

Thanks for your help everyone, but this is going to have to wait for the moment.
                      Plugins:
                      BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Comment

Cheers mate. Haven't yet decided whether to sell it as an automated home or just to take the equipment with me. I guess it will depend on the offers.

Not easy to box things up when you have a toddler unpacking everything as you go. lol.

Comment

Working...
                        X