Large basement - audio options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Large basement - audio options

My brother just had his basement redone and it's in a very large U shape. He plans on putting a surround sound/home theater somewhat in the middle. At one end there's a bar, and at the other end a a big pool table area. He'd like to put speakers in the bar area, and another pair in the pool table area.

He doesn't want to play different sources in the respective areas, but would like local volume control in the bar and pool table area that is fed from the home theater setup. Other than the old school way of putting L-pad speaker fed controls in those respective areas, what are some other ways of doing this?

Just looking for opinions for anyone that might have done something similar, equipment used, etc.

Thanks!

get a Sonos system. Wifi. Awesome!
    HS3 , Zwave, HometrollerS6, ELK M1G Ultra; mcs sprinklers; WGL800; BLRF; BLNetCallerID; BLSpeech

Comment

Sonos is great. I personally like my Logitech Squeezeboxes too, but this is just ONE large room with a couple of bends in it, so I think these both would be overkill. Also, 99% of the source will be CDs. I'm really just looking for the optimum way to locally control the volume at a couple of speaker pairs at the extreme ends of the basement from one centrally located home theater/stereo system.

Comment

If the amp you're using has a 2nd zone output you could use that. You will need volume controls not only for setting volume but to impedance match so you don't overheat the amp.
        Marty
        ------
        XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
        Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

Comment

This might be of interest. I think the volume control (like one of these, for example) is really the only key piece. If your amp does not have a second zone, you can buy a relatively inexpensive stereo amp and feed it with line level input from the primary.
          Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
          HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
            This might be of interest. I think the volume control (like one of these, for example) is really the only key piece. If your amp does not have a second zone, you can buy a relatively inexpensive stereo amp and feed it with line level input from the primary.
            I actually thought about feeding remote receiver's aux inputs from the primary's tape-out connections. One concern I had about that is, how far can these type of connections (RCA) be extended without significantly degrading the sound or prone to interference? I've always been under the impression that compared to speaker connections, they won't travel as far without noticeable issues. I'm not looking to maintain audiophile specs to these areas, but they will be playing music as opposed to HS announcements, etc, and will be using bookshelf type speakers in $200-$300 range.

Comment

There are really two extremes.

In one case, you can put the "remote" receiver next to the primary and run speaker level to the speaker location. Then either fix the receiver output level relatively loud and use a local impedence matching volume control to make the final volume selection, or use an IR link to adjust the volume of the "remote" receiver. I do the former to drive some exterior speakers and it works quite well. I have found that manipulating a distant receiver by IR is often problematic for me because of a lack of feedback about their state. (Is the volume low or is receiver off? Is the speaker muted? Is the correct input selected?)

The other extreme is to run line level to the remote location, which I think is what you are contemplating. I've also done that over distances of 30-50 feet with no detectable (to my ears) interference. (I ran audio to a Bose Wave Radio Aux input to do pretty much what you are describing.) Obviously, you will want to avoid running the audio wires next to electric lines for any appreciable distance to avoid 60 Hz hum.
              Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
              HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

In the manner of keeping it simple and reasonably priced I would just utilize a speaker switcher with digitial volume controls for the second set which can encompass the none media room sound areas (just stereo). In my home I use multiple sound sources locally but giving these same sound sources house or local. In the 1980's using a multi zone reciever I would pipe sound to a couple of different rooms in the home. These would just plan old analogue volume controls with local A/B switches to shut off the sound. My reciever at the time was rated at something like 200watts/channel. One day while having a party and cranking on a couple of remote zones (not primary) I burned up the volume control. It actually started a small fire in the wall. The then used volume control was rated at 75 watts. You can also utilize something like this:

http://www.asihome.com/ASIshop/produ...roducts_id=384

You can also buy the older series which you probably can find at a reasonable cost. Just plug in your "B" sound into the Leviton box and install a couple of digital volume controls with AB switches (optionally).

Today I use these for a few zones but have multiple controllers each with one or two remote digital volume controls. I put these in as a WAF in that sometimes my wife didn't want to hear HS in some room in the house.
                - Pete

Auto mator
                Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.12.X - HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets
                Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.12.X
                HS4 Pro - V4.1.11.0 - Ubuntu 20.01/VB W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono
                HS4 Lite -

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

Thanks guys! This is what I was looking for. I think the Leviton solution will work nicely.

Comment

Working...
                  X