Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie here -- can one of you vets help me figure out what I need?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie here -- can one of you vets help me figure out what I need?

So I've just started getting into home automation as I just purchased my first house

I've spent a good 7 or 8 hours browsing these and other forums, and it seems like HomeSeer is a great resource.

The one thing I haven't seen, however, is the main reason I started looking into HA in the first place -- automating opening/closing windows based on outside temperature.

Example:
    9:00PM - House Temp: 71 - Outside Temp: 73 (Windows closed to keep cooler air in)
    11:00PM - House Temp: 70 - Outside Temp: 69 (Windows open to bring in cool air)
    9:00AM - House Temp: 65 - Outside Temp: 68 (Windows close to keep cooler air in)

Is this something any of you have experience with? Where can I find products that are compatible with HS for this?

Thanks,

- Jon

are you looking for HS to actually open and close the window? or notify you to close it? I have not seen automatic windows... at some point I need to do a z-ave blind for a window high up... but even that is something you need to find parts for and "create"
    HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

I've only ever seen auto open/close windows in industrial building HVAC situations (local shopping centre to me has them installed in the roof, and they are ugly), I'm not sure exactly how they work, they have a set of louvres and what appears to be a screw rod down the side, a motor turns the rod and the louvres can be set to be closed, open or anywhere between.

How many windows do you have that you are thinking of automating? What are they made of (upvc/wood/metal)? Do you just want open/closed or finer control (0-100% open)...are these windows that it does not matter what they look like?

It may be a bit of a custom fit, and I can see some problems with security (how do you automate closing the locks) but could be a very interesting experiment...

Comment

If you have the opening hardware interfaced to your HomeSeer server then what you listed is easy enough using events to trigger the hardware. I'd be interested in the hardware controlling the windows.
        -Rupp
        sigpic

Comment

I assume you are looking to do this on the existing windows? If so, would hardware like this work for your windows?

http://www.hardwaresource.com/Store_...3.asp?Cat=1241

https://www.truth.com/main/catalog/i...xtPage=25.html

Ian
          Plugins:
          BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Comment

Wow, thanks for all the replies

@TeleFragger: Yes, I actually want the window to be opened/closed by HS, not just blinds and not just a reminder (though that's most likely what I'll end up doing -- while this looks possible, it doesn't look cheap, and doesn't look like a good 'beginner' project)

@mrhappy: I've got tons of windows, but the number I automate is directly proportionate to the expense involved. Of course, I would love automating them all, so long as it was aesthetically pleasing and safe to do so.

They are standard vinyl, here is a picture of the living room windows:

I would only want open/closed (don't need windows to be 50% open, for example) and they are not at all windows that don't matter what they look like (Not that I care, just have to pay close attention the the WAF and all)

@completelyhis: Let me answer your question with a question... would hardware like that work for my windows?

Thanks again for all the help!

Comment

I have some high casement windows with motors that fit where the crank is normally placed. I think the motors actually look less obtrusive than the hand crank. They work very reliably, and when closed, the motor acts to lock them as well, but I have not tried to interface them to HS. It's just a momentary switch closure, though, so it should be doable. Double hung windows will be more difficult.

Just to add to others, can you be more specific about what you want to do?
              Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
              HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Although these are not the motors I use, this is an interesting site.
                Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
                HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

I really appreciate all the input you have all offered. I think I've decided that an alert/reminder top open/close the windows would probably be the best way to go. I have a feeling that if I had some weird contraptions on several of our windows, the WAF would be pretty low

I'll certainly be doing some automatic drapes/blinds though.

Reading over these forums for another few hours inspired me to create a list of HA projects I'll be doing at some point... do you see any potential problems with this list? Any easy projects that I missed?

Intercom:
                  Whole-house Intercom
                  Text To Speech (TTS)
                  Turns off in kids rooms if bed is occupied (Weight sensor?)

Laundry:
                  Washer/Dryer -- Current Sensor (know when they are done) - WHN (whole-house notification)

Bathroom:
                  After getting up from toilet: (Motion sensor?)
                  auto-flush
                  turn on water in sink (TTS: "Don't forget to wash your hands")
                  spray air freshener

Lighting:
                  10% Lighting from 10PM to 6AM for increased visibility, without blinding you.

Security:
                  Motion Detectors
                  Cameras
                  'panic' mode which will call police and scare anyone near the house (Flashing Light, Siren, TTS: "Intruder Alert!")

HVAC:
                  Turn on heat / ac when coming home
                  Turn off AC if window is open and/or WHN

Notifications:
                  Morning announcement ("It is Tuesday, September the 1st. Temperature inside is 67, temperature outside is 56")
                  When opening front-door in morning (leaving):
                  A Bible Verse or something encouraging "Words of Wisdom"
                  Announce when you should open/close windows based on temperatures
                  Notification if garage door is still open at 10:00 PM.
                  Mailbox opened
                  Scan school website for closures/delays
                  Weekly reminder to take out trash (see RFID section)
                  Notification of shower length + limit:
                  'You have one minute to finish your shower' - 2 minutes later, lights go out.

Bluetooth:
                  'x is home' detection

RFID:
                  Notification to take out the trash continues until it tracks that the trashcan is outside

Power:
                  Turn off all lights when nobody is home (motion)
                  Turn down water heater after 10:00AM, turn back on at 5:00 AM

Guests:
                  Doorbell WHN "Someone is at the door"
                  Notification of someone coming up to house (motion sensor)
                  Last edited by validatorian; September 1, 2009, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by validatorian View Post
                    I wrote a very nice reply a few hours ago, but it said it was under moderation -- I'm not sure if this one will make it though. If it does, I'll edit it with answers
                    Sorry about that. You have to have 5 posts under your belt before you can add attachments. This is to cut down on spam. I approved your last response so it should now be visible.
                    -Rupp
                    sigpic

Comment

If your windows are the olde fashion double hung window, I've never seen an automated "way" of opening and closing these types of windows.
                      -Rupp
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                        Sorry about that. You have to have 5 posts under your belt before you can add attachments. This is to cut down on spam. I approved your last response so it should now be visible.

No problem, I understand

Thanks for approving it!

FYI: I updated my last post with more content -- I think I'm going to postpone the automated windows

Comment

Just as well, probably.
                          I've hunted all over for a solution but can't find anything specifically designed to automate opening a double hung window. Anything that might be cobbled up, ie. an electric cylinder or lead screw arrangement is going to look butt ugly unless it could be incorporated into a new construction, and there goes your WAF.

Looking at your list, go to x10.com and stock up on MS14's (motion sensors) and DS10's (door/window sensors). You're going to need them. The DS10 is especially versatile in detecting any kind of contact closure. I keep a supply of both on hand for when I get 'ideas'. For these, you'll also need a RF receiver. A lot of us use the WF800 for this purpose. For current sensing, I've found a CR Magnetics CR9321 current switch, available for about $25 from DigiKey connected directly to a DS10 works perfectly . It switches at about 250mA.
                          Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

Originally posted by Wadenut View Post
                            Looking at your list, go to x10.com and stock up...
                            Can I mix and match technologies? (e.g. x10 for window/door sensors, z-wave for thermostat sensors, etc) -- I suppose I would just have to have multiple receivers/controllers, right?

Comment

Originally posted by validatorian View Post
                              Can I mix and match technologies? (e.g. x10 for window/door sensors, z-wave for thermostat sensors, etc) -- I suppose I would just have to have multiple receivers/controllers, right?
                              Absolutely. That's one of the beauties of using HomeSeer.
                              -Rupp
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X