X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TeleFragger
    replied
    Originally posted by pyspilf View Post
    So, the company I work for is kicking out some hardware, and they would be more than happy for me to take it off their hands if I can find some use for it.

File server?
    • Media server?
    • Security camera server / storage?
    • Proxy / Firewall?
    • Big paperweights?
    • Garden boulders?
    Cheers!

Id say windows home server would be nice if you use any of them however.....

I ran a HP Proliant ML570 G2... quad xeon 2.5MP, tons of ram, tons of drives .... ran HS beautifully... however @ about $65 a month in electricity... I scrapped that server.....

then I got a poweredge 2600
    dual xeon 2.8, 4gb ram, 6x146gb... big, bulky and loud...

so now I just built a new machine...

quad core 2.13 xeon
    2gb ram
    1tb drive, 3x500gb drives
    rack mount (shallow depth to fit in a telco rack)
    built it cheap and doesnt require as much juice as the servers and is not as loud....

so I would most likely say take the switch (also 48 ports may not be gigabit so not really worth it unless going for cisco cert)..... also the ups'... even if the batteries are bad.. they are nice sized ups and would work great for power outages!!!!!!!!!!!!

the other biggie is with name brand servers.. other than power useage... is the fact that older servers dont have large drives.. you will be lucky to have 146gb drives... however 6x146 would use more power than 2 x 1tb sata drives.... still get mirroring.... and cost alot less....

Originally posted by completelyhis View Post
    the servers would be great with Windows Home Server on them, or just set up as a media server, as you suggested.

I've been shopping for a gigabit switch, you're lucky! If you're able and shipping would be cheaper than me buying one, I'd love to get a Cisco Catalyst 2948G from you. I have my own FedEx shipping account. Email/PM me and maybe we can work something out? :-)
    i agree windows home server.... also depending on the switch model number...... if it is not a ge-tx then it is a 48 port 10/100 with gigabit uplinks.. I think...

From cisco site...
    Features of the Catalyst 2948G-GE-TX Switch include:
    • 48 10/100/1000BASE-T ports and 4 SFP ports
    • 1-rack-unit (RU) switch
    • Cisco Catalyst OS software (minimum 8.2(1)GLX version)

Leave a comment:

• completelyhis
    replied
    the servers would be great with Windows Home Server on them, or just set up as a media server, as you suggested.

I've been shopping for a gigabit switch, you're lucky! If you're able and shipping would be cheaper than me buying one, I'd love to get a Cisco Catalyst 2948G from you. I have my own FedEx shipping account. Email/PM me and maybe we can work something out? :-)

Leave a comment:

• pyspilf
    started a topic Ideas for using some hardware?

Ideas for using some hardware?

So, the company I work for is kicking out some hardware, and they would be more than happy for me to take it off their hands if I can find some use for it.

This is the list:
    • IBM Netfinity 5600
    • Dell PowerEdge 600SC
    • Dell PowerEdge 2300
    • Ultratrak SX8000
    • APC Smart UPS 1500
    • APC Smart UPS 3000
    • Cisco Catalyst 2948G
    I probably won't find use for all of this, and can't really offer some of it for most of you guys, since I am in Madrid. Incidentally I haven't even turned any of this on... don't know what works. It all looks kind of old-ish, and probably uses lots of electricity.

So, I was wondering what could be done with this hardware - I already have use for the Cisco switch (48 port Gigabit) and for the UPS's, assuming their batteries are still alive.

I think the Ultratrak is an 8-bay disk array, but don't know what size disks...

What would you guys suggest I can do with all or some of this hardware?
    • File server?
    • Media server?
    • Security camera server / storage?
    • Proxy / Firewall?
    • Big paperweights?
    • Garden boulders?
    Cheers!
Working...
X