No announcement yet.

Windows Home Server (WHS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Addidas, I don't think there are many HS WHS haters, I just don't think there are many HS users that (1) are using WHS and (2) see the need to marry the two. I am in the process of splitting HS off of WHS. WHS is more challenging for driver support (i.e. I can't use my Belkin USB network hub without some manual installation of the admin application) and doesn't have the newer VR/voices of Vista. I'm tired of wrestling with these types of isses and the fact that on the MB I am using, WHS tends to not like when I log in locally (video driver issues sometimes cause bluescreens). That said, it is an extremely stable system and does a rock solid job as a server. So if you have one, it makes sense to consider moving HS to it especially since they tend to be both on 24/7.

BTW, one can easily get a free dns from no-ip or one of the other free providers. And if you want HS access via the WHS console, install the browser add-in and set the homepage to the local address/port. That way you can access HS straight from WHS. Probably more secure but definitely less user friendly (i.e. more complicated logon process to get to the console and can run the console on other browsers). I preferred to go straight to HS than to go to the console.

Comment

Where did you find a $40 in wall ELO touchscreen?

Comment

i got 2 on ebay... they are the nice glass screen ones... beautiful. I jsut wish i would have bought 4

i only needed 1 ATM but bought 2 since shipping was $15 for both

I will post pics soon of the setup.... i just finished it ( - painting)

I ordered my zwave stuff and it was suppost to be here today as per fedex but it didnt arrive.... even though the schedualed date still says 1/7

Comment

Probably has something to do with Chicago airports were shut down yesterday due to 10+ of snow. Looking forward to the pics. I would be curious how the touch responsiveness of the monitors is.

Comment

I think most of the "ickyness" comes from what happens to WHS when you loose the system drive.

I think there is a lot of information out there that states it is difficult to rebuild when you loose that drive. True, False, dunno...

BUT I will say, since it's based on W2k3, it has SMB1.0, so, I'm going to avoid it for anything, except maybe to be run in a VM to backup machines in the house. I'm going to try Win2k8...and hopefully whatever WHS comes out based on that, we'll see the System Drive Issues taken care of (I think I've read reports that, this is one of the things that M$ has fixed...to allow backups of the main system drive...so rebuilds are "simple" like backing up the drive with a disk imaging software).

--Dan
            Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

Originally posted by heatvent View Post
              Probably has something to do with Chicago airports were shut down yesterday due to 10+ of snow. Looking forward to the pics. I would be curious how the touch responsiveness of the monitors is.
              Of all the 100's of 1000's of miles I've flown...I've gone through Chicago 2x. Got stuck there BOTH times.

Never had issues going out of St. Paul Min (Northwest), Detroit (Northwest), or Georgia (Delta)...and only minimal issues out of Philly (can't remember...who's hub this was)

--Dan
              Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

Working...
              X