USB AB switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USB AB switch

Kind of a cross post between Cocoontech and HS forum.

A little HX.

Went on a two week vacation after Christmas. HS locked up with a HW issue. HW issue was a bad MB. I have since replaced MB with same model and HS is running as before with no issues. Even the remote ability to reboot server would not have helped. So now building a duplicate server and want to create a failover scenario using a remote controllable USB AB switch.

Found this and wouldn't mind hacking it a bit....

USB AB switch

Found another one which is even nicer. This one has RS-232 control which would work even better.

USB switch 2

Topology looking like: (testing DR would be simply switching use of HA server A and HA server B maybe running each one every month?)

HA server =====> USB A =====>
    BU HA Server ==> USB B =====>
    USB AB switch===========>USB 7 port HUB ==>
    =============================> 2-3 HA USB devices
    =============================> USB to 8 port serial Digi Box #1
    =============================> USB to 8 port serial Digi Box #2
    Last edited by Pete; January 28, 2010, 09:20 AM.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.12.X - HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.12.X
    HS4 Pro - V4.1.11.0 - Ubuntu 20.01/VB W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono
    HS4 Lite -

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

IP-based switches for either USB or RS-232 would seem like a more flexible solution, depending upon with what type of failure mode you are dealing. I have no experience with IP/USB, but conceptually either HA or BUHA could connect via IP to the same address and the switching (and wiring) would not be mechanical, but logical.

There may be some USB devices that do not like to operate on anything other than a direct conection. I know I had an interface to cell phone in the past for syncing contact list with PC and it would only work with a short USB cable direclty into the USB root.

I also have a USB switch I use to switch a DVD drive between playing movies on the TV vs. Computer. It is similiar low-end one to your option #1. Power glitches would sometimes result in it switching. Not a big deal in my case as it was a manual switch so I just toggled it a few times until the desired connection was achieved the next time I wanted to play a movie.

In general redundancy brings with it a lot of unexpected failure modes and if not properly addressed availability will be lower than with a single-thread system. For ctitical systems (e.g. aircraft controls) the redundancy is needed and the issues all need to be addressed. For a HA system the expense and the time to make it robust will likely not be justified based upon need, but anything can be justified based upon pride of accomplishment.

Comment

I didn't suffer total withdrawal not having HS running a few days. Life did go on.

After about a week I did start to miss it and what it did for me and what I was used to and what I missed the most.

Its really about having the ability to have a clone of HS as a failover.

I guess its to see if I can do it and failover to its clone remotely (like maybe doing it with with my cell phone).
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.12.X - HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.12.X
      HS4 Pro - V4.1.11.0 - Ubuntu 20.01/VB W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono
      HS4 Lite -

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
      X