Windows XP Remote Desktop Question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows XP Remote Desktop Question...

I'm new to Remote Desktop Sharing - have a question...
    I have two PCs running XP Pro. One is to replace my HomeSeer always-on PC. In the past, I've managed that HomeSeer PC which is hidden away with no monitor, using NetMeeting to access it from my main PC. I have remote desktop setup and working, but...

I'd like to have XP boot up without a login prompt and I think I MUST have only one user account to do that. If not, please correct me on how to do a default auto-login for an administrator-priviledge account.

Remote Desktop apparently insists on using passwords. I tried it for my normal account which has no password and it fails to login.

So, I don't think I want to try running HomeSeer and the other HomeAutomation applications I have as NT services - due to the dependence on a user interface.

I'd merely like the PC to boot up XP Pro, skip the login/password, and run HomeSeer and the other apps I use automatically. And accept a remote desktop connection with the same login as it booted into.

Is this possible?

I did create a second user account "remote" with a password and can connect via that. And when the originally logged in user gets "disconnected" for the new remote desktop connection, the original user's programs continue to run (e.g. HomeSeer) even though it seems to have no display.

Well, sorry for rambling, but I am just learning the remote desktop techniques.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stevech:
    I'm new to Remote Desktop Sharing - have a question...
    I have two PCs running XP Pro. One is to replace my HomeSeer always-on PC. In the past, I've managed that HomeSeer PC which is hidden away with no monitor, using NetMeeting to access it from my main PC. I have remote desktop setup and working, but...

I'd like to have XP boot up without a login prompt and I think I MUST have only one user account to do that. If not, please correct me on how to do a default auto-login for an administrator-priviledge account.

Remote Desktop apparently insists on using passwords. I tried it for my normal account which has no password and it fails to login.

So, I don't think I want to try running HomeSeer and the other HomeAutomation applications I have as NT services - due to the dependence on a user interface.

I'd merely like the PC to boot up XP Pro, skip the login/password, and run HomeSeer and the other apps I use automatically. And accept a remote desktop connection with the same login as it booted into.

Is this possible?

I did create a second user account "remote" with a password and can connect via that. And when the originally logged in user gets "disconnected" for the new remote desktop connection, the original user's programs continue to run (e.g. HomeSeer) even though it seems to have no display.

Well, sorry for rambling, but I am just learning the remote desktop techniques.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here is a possible solution to your questions:
    For the auto logon, I have included a link to a Micro$oft tech note on how to enable auto logon with Windows XP:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;q315231

This is very simple to do and only requires a small edit to your registry. If you are uncomfortable with editing the registry, I have a small program that will do this for you. All that is required is the computer name and the account information you wish to use with the auto logon. Of course the account MUST first exist on the computer prior to enabling auto logon.

Secondly, for the remote administration, while the remote desktop stuff is "neat", you don't need to jump through all of those hoops to enable remote administration. I use VNC server and viewer to accomplish this on three computers, the HS server, the wife's computer, and another computer I use for various other networking stuff.
    All you have to do is install the VNC server on the HS computer, set the server portion to run as a service so it starts on boot. Also, you can add password protection to the VNC server if you wish. Then all you need to do is run the VNC Viewer, a small executable, and supply the computer name and password for the HS computer. This will give you the HS computers desktop on your local computer.
    This works VERY well, is faster than PC Anywhere or Remote Desktop, and you can do ANYTHING remotely!
    Best of all, VNC is *FREE*!

Here is the link:

http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/

WinXP Pro, AMD XP1800, Asus A7V333 MB, 1Gb DDR RAM, (2) WD 100Gb Special Edition HD, Five channel Digital Audio. JDS TimeCommander & IR-XP2. And a buncha HA stuff.

Comment

Thanks - I'll try the Registry settings.

VNC - Have you used it with XP as the machine whos display is being accessed?

Remote Desktop seems to work very nicely, except for the apparent mandatory password.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stevech:
        Thanks - I'll try the Registry settings.

VNC - Have you used it with XP as the machine whos display is being accessed?

Remote Desktop seems to work very nicely, except for the apparent mandatory password.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, VNC works fine with Windows XP both pro and home versions. I just used it on the wife's machine (WinXP Home) to update her virus sigs. What is nice about VNC is that you can use it with most ALL operating systems. From Win 3.1 to WinXP and Linux!

HTH!

WinXP Pro, AMD XP1800, Asus A7V333 MB, 1Gb DDR RAM, (2) WD 100Gb Special Edition HD, Five channel Digital Audio. JDS TimeCommander & IR-XP2. And a buncha HA stuff.

Comment

If your used to Netmeeting why not just load it on XP?

-Rupp
          ...One Nation Under GOD, Indivisible, With Liberty And Justice For All.
          -Rupp
          sigpic

Comment

I did run NetMeeting on XP. It too insists on a login. Well, I'll just cope.

Remote Desktop seems to be the future - it does have a nice User Interface.

Comment

You can disable the need to login to another machine if you uncheck I prefer to receive and make secure calls under the options/security tabs.

-Rupp
              ...One Nation Under GOD, Indivisible, With Liberty And Justice For All.
              -Rupp
              sigpic

Comment

Didn't work for me when I tried it between two XP machines

Comment

In your Local Security Policies, Security Options, disable:

Accounts: Limit local account use of blank passwords to console login only
                  -Geoff

Comment

You may want to look at the thread I started on the Beta board about problems I ran into using Remote Desktop and Voice Response.

I use Remote Desktop quite a bit and found that my "host/server" machine will always force a log-out of the console user when I log in as the same user from Remote Desktop. Similarly once you quit your Remote Desktop session the "host" will also force a logout of the remote user so now the host is set without any user logged in.

As you discovered, even though the host will force the log out, it still keeps running the local apps like HS just fine execpt that it seems some system resources, such as those required by voice response, stop working with these phantom sessions. This doesn't seem to be the case with all system resources as the modem and soundcard keep funtioning fine (i.e. nowplaying and cdj work fine) even if user is logged out.

I know this doesn't answer your specific question but it may save you some headscratching as you continue to play with remote desktop.

Comment

thanks for info fellows. I'll look into the security policy change - I think I can remember how to get at those.

I don't use voice recognition - but the swapped console login issue might hit me elsewhere.

I don't have the nerve to open Pandora's box in trying to use one of the shareware programs to wrap an apartment-threaded app like HS to make it run as an NT service.

Comment

Working...
                      X