LED message display

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LED message display

I'm reposting this in the right discussion because admin never moved it, so sorry if it's a repeat for you:
    --------

If anybody has ever given thought to incorporating an LED display sign with their home automation setup, I have found the BetaBrite display made by Adaptive Microsystems to be quite good. It has a really high "gee-whiz" factor, and can be purchased at Sam's Club for $150 or used on Ebay for even less.
    Currently I use it to tell me how many unread emails I have, scroll the weather periodically, display computer information periodically, show X10 device status, and scroll news headlines. With Homeseer Phone, I plan to use it as a super-deluxe CID display.

How do get the info from HS to the LED Display??
    DSteiNeuro

HS3Pro

MSI Cubi Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-5200U CPU @ 2.20GHz, 2201 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s) 16GB DDRl RAM

Enabled Plug-Ins
    BLRussound, BLSpeech, HSTouch Server, JowiHue, MyQ, Nest, Rain8, Squeezebox, Ultra1Wire3, UltraGCIR3, Vista Alarm, X10,Z-Wave

Comment

BetaBrite tech specs web page

According to website, you get a 25' serial cable, and you can download their software. Also comes with it's own IR keyboard.

Comment

You can buld your own serial interface using a two parts from RadioShack, a DB9 to RJ12 converter, and a length of 6-conductor phone cord. And, AMS has FULLY documented the serial protocol that the sign uses, so you don't even need to buy their software. I wrote my own program that allows me to "post" messages to the display from any process by writing a file, and that manages the active messages such that posting a message from one process doesn't interfere with messages posted from other processes. The posting process simply involves a file write, so I have HS post messages by running a script that writes a file to the hard drive.

Comment

I think that this is a great idea and would love to use something similar for email notifications and number of phone messages waiting.

Another think that would be cool is the ability to incoporated with the CDJ-Track-to-File Project going and be able to view the song title and artist of what's playing!

Also, can you turn the display completely off for those moments where a scrolling marquis would be ... Humm ..a little distracting ???

Bernie

Comment

Sure, you can either send empty strings to display, or you can manually power it off with the remote control. But in my case, if the program I wrote has no messages to display, it simply puts the time up, and then it makes a dandy digital clock.

Comment

Is the time synchronized with the Atomic Clock ??

I am not that good at programming, how hard is it to make such a program? Would you be willing to share your code? And lastly, what language did you use?

I am amazed that this thread is not getting more attention or am I the only one that likes these gadgets??

Bernie

Comment

amliebsch:

Where is the documentation for the serial protocol? I can't find it on the web site.

Comment

The official documentation is here.

A good laymen's explanation of the sign and protocol is here.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Comment

Actually, yes, because the time is periodically set by my program, and my PC's clock is synchronized to the atomic time servers!

Making such a program is not terribly hard, although it depends on how complex you want to make it. A simple program to display a single message could be accomplished with one line of perl code. I designed my program to be more versatile, so it took a while longer and is more complicated. I wrote it in Windows Interface Language, the language used by WinBatch. (I used this because it's the simplest language for quick-and-dirty program writing, and the serial interface is relatively simple to use.) It's still in alpha stage, but you're welcome to a copy if you want it.

It works by scanning for a file. When the file is written by some other process, it looks at the contents. To post a message, you simply write a line to the file (which is just plaintext) in the format
                    <message>,<handle>,<action>,<duration&g t;. All of the parameters are optional. So if I wanted to display the message "You have new mail" I would write a line of text to the file like this:
                    Then when I wanted to make the message go away at some later point, I could write a line of text like this:
                    Alternatively, I could have written the initial line of text to be:
                    which would display the message (along with any other active messages) for 30 seconds, then remove it from the display sequence.
                    I also incorporated a meta-language so that you can do all formatting inline through escape sequences. So, for example, I might write this for the message text:
                    The command codes with a backslash before them are replaced with nonprintable ASCII codes that the sign understands.

Comment

amliebsch

Thanks for your detailed information. I have looked at your links and can see that there is quite a bit of information. Not sure if it's enough for me to get going. This will be definitely on my list of new additions. There was even a stock quote script. I am not sure if it would be doable with your Windows scripting language, but this would be a cool feature to have a stock quote with the appropriate color ( green if the price went up, red if it went down and yellow if there was no change !!)

Thanks again for sharing all of your information and if you ever want to share your hard work, alpha code or not, I am sure that many of us would be greatful !

Bernie

Comment

Another good reason for more serial ports! At one of my previous employers we had one hooked to our Linux-based NMS system - it reported WAN circuit outages that could be viewed across the office. These are neat devices.

- huggy
                        |
                        | - Gordon

"I'm a Man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess." - Man's Prayer, Possum Lodge, The Red Green Show
                        HiddenGemStudio.com - MaineMusicians.org - CunninghamCreativeMaine.website

Comment

Since seeing this thread when it was first active, I got interested. This weekend we made our periodic trip to Sam's Club and I went by and looked at them. Pretty cool. I also went to the sites that amliebsch pointed to. This sounds easy enough to do, if I can get an RS-232 up from the basement to where I would want to put the little beast.

Has anyone implemented the comms protocol in VBScript yet? I don't really want to buy WinBatch, else I would just ask amliebsch for his program. I guess it could still serve as an example, but I figured that by now someone has already done it. Anyone?

Steve

Comment

I've ported my program to Visual Basic (6.0). It's smaller and faster and takes fewer cycles. When I get Visual Studio .NET, I'll port it to VB.NET.

If anyone wants it, just send an email to amliebsch@students.wisc.edu.

Please note it is still in Alpha and not certified to be 100% bug-free, though I haven't had any crashes recently.

Comment

My request is in your in-box. I guess this means I have no more excuses. Thanks!
                              Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X