Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The program can be downloaded here

Comment

The program looks great, but it uses an OCX that does not appear to be included in VB6. I get an error when I try to load it that it can't find vbmasterocx1. Is this an add on component? If so, where did you get it?

Thanks,

Alan

Comment

Well that's what I get for coding at one in the morning. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] I've (hopefully) included everything that needs to be registered this time. Download again and run the setup program, which should register the component in question. I also threw in the serial control ocx just in case.

Bear with me, I've never actually DISTRIBUTED software before!

Comment

If you open up Outlook (2000 or later?) and go to Tools|Macros|Visual Basic Editor, you can click on ThisOutlookSession in the Project window, and paste the attached text directly into the code window. (IF you have code in the window already, be sure the paste after the module-level declarations but before the first procedure.)

This code will flash the words "NEW MAIL" when mail is received, and scroll the sender name and subject, then display a count of the number of new messages.

If you subscribe the the CNN breaking news email service (plain text), it will scroll breaking news items.

Additionally, mail with bracketed text in the subject line (as from many email lists) is categorized by the bracketed text, so that if you group by category it will sort your mail.
          Attached Files

Comment

It would probably be a bit cumbersome & tedius, but it would allow me to setup the BB in the room downstairs with my stereo. Just a thought [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Comment

Tom,
              If I was unable to get the serial connection working, I was going to try the IR next. I too have the BetaBrite in the same room with my A/V system, but at a slightly different angle from the other equipment, so that my Ocelot IR blaster would be hitting it from an angle. I'm guessing it would work, although it might be pretty slow compared to the serial interface. I want to use the BB for displaying Caller ID (and a few other things), so I want to get it up on the screen as quickly as possible. I had a CAT5 ethernet run from my HS machine in the basement to the back of the A/V system, so I used the unused four wires in that run to give me a no-handshake RS232 run (RX,TX, and GND). Seems to work great!

Steve

Comment

I gotta tell you guys that this BetaBrite display is an excellent addition to anyone's HA setup. I've got mine tied into the CID on HSP, a daily MOTD (message of the day), and a date time display. The MOTD is currently only tied to our extended family birthdays and anniversaries. It would be pretty easy to have it also display the number of voicemails / emails waiting, reminders about upcoming appointments, etc. I'm also going to flash up some HS events as they fire, such as when the garage door is open, etc.

The real news from my perspective is the WAF. My wife and kids love this thing. They think it is one of the most practical contributions they've seen from all my HA experimenting.

I haven't been able to get Amliebsch's program (LEDAM) to work, although both he and I have tried it quite a bit. It sounds like my PC may be missing something, but I can't tell what. Still, from what I can see it is a very powerful program. He's put in capabilities to do pretty much anything the BetaBrite can provide. If you get a BetaBrite (and I recommend it), I'd give LEDAM a try as well.

Steve

Comment

here is a good link for LED Signs:
                  http://wls.wwco.com/ledsigns/

With links to their programming protocols too.

AMD K6 366Mhz 128MB
                  XP Pro HS&HSP Most Recent Updates
                  ATT Natural Voices
                  USR Voice Faxmodem Pro (5605)
                  Way2Call Hi-Phone Desktop USB

Comment

Where in the world do you keep it? My wife would throw me out of the house if I brought one of these units into the house?

-Rupp
                    ...One Nation Under GOD, Indivisible, With Liberty And Justice For All.
                    -Rupp
                    sigpic

Comment

I got the same problem, we just moved into a new house, and there is no way I am gonna get away with this, but I REALLY want this. Wish they had them in a white color or something.
                      HSPRO 2.4 (ESXi 4.1) | my.Alert NEW | my.Trigger | HSTouch | ACRF2 | UltraM1G | BLWeather | BLLan | Rover
                      (aka xplosiv)
                      Do You Cocoon? Home Automation News, Tutorials, Reviews, Forums & Chat

Comment

...if hung on the wall. It has little fold-out brackets on top. If you have a molding, buy some molding hangers for hanging pictures and some steel cable, and just loop the cable through the brackets and hangers.

Otherwise, it also fits nicely in window sills.

My next project: use a power inverter to hang one in my car window and control it with my notebook computer!

-----------------------------
                        Abraham Liebsch
                        http://www.sit.wisc.edu/~amliebsch

Comment

Just so we know we are talking about the same thing: The BetaBrite is about 2 feet long, and about 3 inches high. Not exactly a billboard in your house. I have mine sitting on an Oak bookcase-like thing that is in the corner to the side of the big-screen TV in the family room. I disable it when everyone has gone to bed, and whenever we are watching a movie.

I know we've had this exchange before, and I think we just have very different wives: My wife has nearly thrown me out for any number of my HA projects. Even the idea of automatically controlling the lights seems silly to her ("how hard is it to push the button on the wall anyway?"). This thing she actually finds useful, especially the CID thing. She *HATES* solicitors, and she loves to see the CID from wherever she is, without running to look at the CID box. As I said, I also cycle through several other things, such as the outside temp, any family birthdays coming up, etc.

I guess I don't get how your wife could dislike it so much, but likewise I probably can't help you see why my wife would like it. Go figure...

Steve

Comment

It's gotta be the multi-colored lights. If my Moose Head would only blink in colors...

Peace,

Dave

Comment

How about in the rear window of the a car running "CarSeer" With a sensor on the bumper to trigger the tailgator warning [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

AMD K6 366Mhz 128MB
                              XP Pro HS&HSP Most Recent Updates
                              ATT Natural Voices
                              USR Voice Faxmodem Pro (5605)
                              Way2Call Hi-Phone Desktop USB

Comment

Working...
                              X