Netmeeting - how to use it via a port

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Netmeeting - how to use it via a port

I want to setup Netmeeting on my HS machine and get to it from work. I need to set a port on my firewall and point it at the HS machine. No problem there.

But how do you enter that ported address in Netmeeting? I need to call '22.22.22.22:4901' but it won't let me enter the colon in the call address.

I'm brand new at Netmeeting so it's highly possible that I am really missing a point here.

SteveP

Unless you have a special firewall that supports the netmeeting H.323 audio/video protocall, you won't be able to do audio/video. The sharing/remote admin uses the T120 protocall on port 1503 to initiate the connection, so you can try opening up 1503 and fowarding it to the desired computer on your lan.
    Why I like my 2005 rio yellow Honda S2000 with the top down, and more!

Comment

I believe that NetMeeting uses non-standard ports for just basic operation - no video/audio. So firewall(s) in the connection path have to permit these. No-go in most corporations.

You have to VPN in to skip around the firewall. Needs VPN server and client.

Comment

Well that's a bummer. Thought I could use this to talk to my kid at college. Just need a way to talk pc-pc right now for that. I thought net2phone had gone to a pay service only. Was looking for free long distance basically and remote machine access.

SteveP

Comment

I use netmeeting from work (Remote Desktop Sharing) (using it to type this reply). I'm not sure about voice but the ports that I have opened in my DI-713P Dlink router are 1503 and 6699. There are other ports to open but I only need desktop sharing so this is all I have opened. Works like a charm.

-Rupp
          ...One Nation Under GOD, Indivisible, With Liberty And Justice For All.
          -Rupp
          sigpic

Comment

Do you just then call the IP address and not append any port info? (i.e., 22.22.22.22)

SteveP

Comment

You just call your ipaddress and I guess netmeeting takes care of the rest.

-Rupp
              -Rupp
              sigpic

Comment

I have a Dlink 704P and am hoping it sets up like your 713. I will open the same ports to my kids machine and see what happens this weekend. After getting him moved into college, I may get my life back! Man I have been waiting to load the new HS but was busy building a monster machine for my kid.

SteveP

Comment

Steve,
                  Due to the dynamic allocation of ports, NetMeeting audio is not going to work through a router. No way, no how; unless you want to use the "DMZ" feature of the router. Beware, that will leave your computer wide open to hackers. In addition, you won't be able to effectively use any other firewall, for the same reason.

AOL Instant Messenger and I believe Yahoo Messenger, both have voice "talk" modes in their latest software versions. You can sign up and use either of them for free.

Also, although I'm not 100% sure, I believe that PC to PC calls are still free with Net2Phone.

I suggest that you forget about NetMeeting and try one of the other alternatives.
                  -Geoff

[This message was edited by Geoff Epstein on Thursday, 22 August 2002 at 11:19 PM.]
                  -Geoff

Comment

All,

Here is a nice general Network/firewall site, many high level topic discussions:
                    http://www.homenethelp.com/

Very nice discussion of what NetMeeting does and how routers work/Don't work with it:
                    http://www.homenethelp.com/help/netmeeting-router.asp

Comment

Net2PHone and PC to PC calls...
                      I have an account with them and they told me that yes, PC to PC is still supported. it seems to be well hidden though.

You can Yahoo voice chat I suspect. Don't know if theirs is firewall friendly.

Comment

I use the Linksys Router successfully.
                        NetMeeting uses the following Internet Protocol (IP) ports:

Port Purpose
                        -------------------------------------
                        389 Internet Locator Server [Transmission Control Protocol (TCP)]
                        522 User Location Server (TCP)
                        1503 T.120 (TCP)
                        1720 H.323 call setup (TCP)
                        1731 Audio call control (TCP)
                        Dynamic H.323 call control (TCP)
                        Dynamic H.323 streaming [Realtime Transport Protocol (RTP) over User Datagram Protocol (UDP)]
                        To establish outbound NetMeeting connections through a firewall, the firewall must be configured to do the following:
                        Pass through primary TCP connections on ports 522, 389, 1503, 1720 and 1731.

Pass through secondary UDP connections on dynamically assigned ports (1024-65535).

Having said all of that, Eyeball Chat sees interesting. I hooked up my digital camcorder to a firewire port and the quality was impressive.
                        Only played with it for a couple on minutes.
                        http://www.eyeballchat.com/

Comment

If you want to use netmeeting (with audio/video) thru a router, you need to place it in the DMZ. While it is dangerous to place a system in the DMZ fulltime, if you only need to for a little while it is not that big of a deal. I can remote config my router (smc barricade), so from work I can log into the router, place the appropriate system in the DMZ, use netmeeting to do whatever I need, then log back into the router and put the system back behind the firewall.

Dave

Comment

There may not be a need anymore. I think that the college won't allow inbound. When I try to ping my kid's machine, I get 'net unreachable'. I may have to do it via AIM or Yahoo and not sure if they work as they use Net2phone.

SteveP

Comment

I use net2phone and its not bad at 2 cents a minute. $10 bucks has lasted me about 3 months. I also believe they have free pc2pc phone calls.

-Rupp

[This message was edited by Rupp on Tuesday, 27 August 2002 at 08:21 AM.]
                              -Rupp
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X