No announcement yet.

Netmeeting - how to use it via a port

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Rupp, I need to check them again. I looked at their web site but it didn't say anything about supporting pc to pc. I just finished hassling with Southwestern Bell about my long distance setup. What a pain. I talked to 3 different SB agents and got three different answers. It appears that if you have no 1+ provider declared and somebody in the house dials 1+, you could get hit for $5 a minute. So your alternative is some plan (all now seem to have minimums which I don't need), or blocking 1+ at $5 a month, or pin restricted 1+ at $6.75 a month. So you pay if you use it or you pay if you don't use it. I did find ONE MCI plan that didn't have a minimum (high minute charge) so I could declare a 1+ provider but I really want to go pc to pc at 0. My kid is at college and it's intrastate where they seem to jab you. Seems stupid to pay more to call 150 miles than 1000 miles.

what I really want to do is get setup for ip calling and get HSP setup so it can use IP calling and long distance calling card numbers automatically. That Hiphone can do quite a bit and I want to get more out of it. Besides, I hate these stupid long distance and local provider add-on charges of taxes and universal service (another name for TAX) charges.

SteveP

Comment

Have a look at smartprice.com they compare many many plans and many of them do not have monthly minimums and have very good rates. I'm so close to getting rid of my landline and going completly cellular but its a little scary with kids.

-Rupp
      ...One Nation Under GOD, Indivisible, With Liberty And Justice For All.
      -Rupp
      sigpic

Comment

It seems like lately, the cell plans are going up. I can't get a plan as good as my old one at Verizon from verizon. Where's the economies of scale as in computers for example? More and more people have cells but the price hasnt been coming down. I get 450 mins for 35 bucks now on a local plan and Verizon wants to sell me an All America plan for $35 that only has 150 minutes. If I could manage my call volumes out of my house better (read 16 year old daughter) I would go cells as well and IP for long distance. My son is at college now and I want to setup the long distance with him so that's a 0/min hit. I setup Net2phone for myself but still need to setup one for him and try it out. I sent a note to Network Services at his school to see if net2phone can get through. My son already found out that the music services are blocked. I can't get to him macnine with Radmin either.

Actually, why is there still something called 'long distance' anyway? What a carryover......

"Verizon, I want a plan that's local with a lot of useable minutes. CAN YOU HERE ME NOW!!!!!"

I don't want to browse the web, or take pictures on my phone, or listen to polyphonic ring tones that sound like a symphony orchestra. I JUST WANT TO MAKE CHEAP PHONE CALLS!!!!

I hope this Net2phone works out so I can kiss long distance goodbye. I have an MCI plan established to handle my 1+ that I won't use. It's 7 cents a minute with a 35 cent charge to initiate the call, but no minimum fees or taxes. SO the bill there should be zero.

Now if HSP would only intercept my 1+ and translate it to my calling card or VOIP dialing sequences.....

SteveP

Comment

VoIP on the internet with Net2PHone and others is not viable for North American long distance, I say. Except for techies who'll tolerate the glitches and 1 second delay.

My wife won't. I was promoting it because most of our LD is in-state. And (damn it) the in-state rates at AT&T went WAY up and I dumped them after many years and went to Sprint at 5 cents/min. A few months later they dropped this bait-and-switch rate and now they are up to 7 cents/min in-state.

A'int DEREGULATION Great?

Comment

I disagree. I had been using dialpad forever until they started charging so much. So I switched to net2phone (2 cents a minute) and the quality is as good as a cell call. Of course this is with a cable modem.

-Rupp
            -Rupp
            sigpic

Comment

Are you using it straight from a headset off the PC or from one of those IP phone devices?

I am hoping we can use the Hiphone for this someday. WAF would go way up if it was available from the phones in the house.

SteveP

Comment

I've used these things for VoIP
                1. AT&T 6100 cordless phone "VoIP". this is an ordinary 900MHz phone but the base has audio in and out to connect to your sound card. It also has a line jack for your landline service. And the handset has a "VoIP" button which routes the handset to the sound card. You have to dial the call using the PC mouse/keyboard though. I've built a touch-tone decoder to RS232 serial though. So you can push buttons on the handset and, via software I almost finished, can do the dialing and hangup, new call from the cordless hanset. So far this is only for Net2Phone. The AT&T phone was $60 at BestBuy but I think they're not being retailed any more; still can be had here and there and on eBay.

2. I have a "PhoneBridge". This thing connnects to any wired or cordless phone and produces audio in and out. No connection to the landline though. So you use a touch tone decoder scheme like the above or you dial with the PC keyboard.

3. A Clarity USB telelphone handset. This is a goofy looking handset with a USB cable. In effect, it's a sound card. They tried to make a way to dial with it, essentially doing the same thing I did. Problem was that they didn't use a real API to Net2Phone or the others; they did a hack with SendKeys() in windows so it's unreliable. I think they abandoned ship with this product.

5. My own phone to PC audio bridge using a modem audio transformer. Part of my touch tone to RS232 thingie.

6. PC headsets and mics.

I played with Net2PHone and another one. Anyone with 2 cents/minute domestic. All of them, I experienced, have a 1/2 or 1 second delay on my cable modem which does consistenly 2MBps downstream and 300Kbps upstream, on average. Bursts vary a lot. A relative of mine has Verizon DSL and his Net2Phone quality is noticable worse - in terms of delay and dropped words.

Based on Rupp's comments, maybe DialPad has the magic way to beat the basic problem: Internet latency is often way more than these programs can cope with for VoIP (since the standard TCP we use has no Quality Of Service packet prioritization as VoIP does on private IP networks). My company has a huge VoIP network, nationally, and its quality exceeds that of the national phone system. But, it's a private IP network.

Comment

A mid quality pc headset/mic thats about 5 years old (paid $19). The greatest quality gain was when I went from a 450MHX pc to a 1GHZ. I have't had a "long distance" call (other than Net2Phone) in over 2 years. I use it a lot considering all of my family and my wifes family are from Kentucky. I'll call at least 3 times per week. YMMV, but I have been elated not to have to pay BellSouth and ATT exorborant prices to call "long distance". One nice thing is I have MediaCom cable and I'm one of the only people (me and another according to the service rep) using cable modems in our area. We also have DSL and Knology and most everyone went with Knology - the new company. I hope they all stay with Knology.

-Rupp
                  -Rupp
                  sigpic

Comment

so your experience with Net2PHone is that you don't have the long delay and/or dropped words?

Comment

Working...
                    X