Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need some input of how to spend more money...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need some input of how to spend more money...

I am using HomeSeer, and have RF and light switched in my X10 "arsenal".
    The goal idea is to record the next Survivor shows because last time I missed few (this is just an example/idea so don't...)

Whant some input about:
    * Should I get the Ocelot so the X10 will talk to it via homeseer , or the homeVision - what works better or any of your like/don't like will help too.
    * Should I get Tivo or something simular (please reply with what to get if yes)
    < I do have a VCR, but I will allways will need to have an empty tape in it >
    * Any other idea are welcome.

(If it is any help, I am a programmer so configuration and scripting is my life, and I have got a Pronto too)

Last, I have no problem with up to $1,500 but not more.

I like the TIVO way. That way once the show is programmed into the memory the TIVO box will record it even if it is on at a different time then when you thought it would be on. Also, I like the fact that I don't have to have a blank tape in the VCR and also the TIVO makes it easier to find the shows that you want to watch once you recored them.

Comment

...and TIVO likes the $9.95/mo......
      [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Skibum
      Skibumsplace

Comment

I have a Series 1 stand alone TIVO that originally had a single 20 gig drive. I pulled this drive and added two 80 gig drives. Then added a nic card from 9thtee, loaded the TIVO web interface and bought the lifetime subscription when they were running a special. I now have 196 hours of recording capacity. I can setup the shows that I want to record and forget it. I have instantly fell in love with it. I have key words setup for Nascar and it automatically records all races and reviews, highlights etc. When the phone rings HomeSeer pauses TIVO so no matter what I watch I never miss a thing. It's great!!

Ron

Comment

Is TIVO have to be a service, or can it be use as a digital recorder only, and HomeSeer will send an IR to start/stop recording.
          I can create a script that will look at the TV Channel shows time and send the IR (I hope)
          If not, is TIVO is the only Digital recorded, or service?
          What about the junk mail I have from Microsoft about what they call 'ultimateTV'; is the monthly charge the same idea, or can I do it from homeseer?
          Thanks

Comment

Shprung

Write your own recorder..... the TV scripts from Tom Caldwell will handle the recording times, all you need to do is to control media encoder, or the like to record your shows to your hd.

TIVO is subscription based.

Skibum
            Skibumsplace

Comment

That $9.95 (it's $12.95 now, by the way) or lifetime subscription buys you reliability. If anyone knows of an equally reliable, constantly updated source for that information, that costs less, then it's possible to beat TiVo with a video capture card. But the investment of time writing the software to match the functionality just of the Season Pass and Wishlist will, if you account for the money value of your time, exceed the cost of just buying the lifetime subscription ($250) several times over. And by the time you've caught up with where TiVo is now, where will TiVo be?

Without the reliability of that guide information, you're not really getting a TiVo equivalent. People often think a TiVo is a piece of hardware, but it's not, any more than DISH Network is a satellite dish. It's a service, and the piece of hardware is what you use to access it.

Older versions of TiVo could be run as a VCR, but "don't have to change tapes" isn't enough of an advantage to be worth their cost compared to just getting a VCR. Newer versions of TiVo don't allow that option; a subscription is required.

Nucleus Home Automation
              News, support, and updates for Rover, Network Monitor, TimeIcons, and more

Comment

It look like I will 'need' to get a digital recorder, and push the ocelt forward to a birthday or end-of-the-year.
                Any input about TIVO vs realplayTV.

Comment

I have owned a TiVo for about 2 years and have enjoyed every minute of it. In fact, my wife was skeptical at first, dubbing it another tech gadget. I asked her the other day if she would be able to live without it. Her answer in short was NO WAY.

Mark

LyonsHome.NET

Comment

Ok, I realize this isn't what you were going for....

If you have a lawn to water, spend money to automate that. Or spend money for smarter air conditioning. These are things that are good for your pocket book and good for the environment. They also increase the value of your home.

I can see the attraction to TIVO, but anything that makes me sit in front of the TV more doesn't seem like a good thing.

Comment

Actually it causes you to spend less time.. I record the programs I watch and then I can skip the commercials... An hour show is actually 40 minutes..

I wasn't sold on Tivo till my son moved back in and had one. He installed it temporarily (he thinks) and now I love it.. It radically changes the way you watch TV....

Comment

...http://www.snapstream.com
                        It uses your computer to record.

-Rupp
                        ...One Nation Under GOD, Indivisible, With Liberty And Justice For All.
                        -Rupp
                        sigpic

Comment

Rupp, thanks; no-more-TIVO lovers please...
                          So TIVO is the best thing ever, and I will probably will have one soon; I still wonder why no-one with realplayTV said anything. After all, this puppy record with auto-skip-comercial (or something like this), and it got network cable in the back... (for something?!)
                          The snapstream.com sound more FUN as it is a new hardward (the TV board) to play with, and the complete package is about $130 for the stereo.
                          Maybe I can come with some homeSeer to snapstream driver or script...
                          Man, I have the money, and I want to purchse something. Isn't it sick?!
                          Thanks [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

Comment

I had brought a TV card to use with snapstream instead of TIVO setup, but as hunter points out you need time to get it working and I'm still trying to work just how I want it. I will now be getting a TIVO, You made the comment of playing with new hardware, you can play with TIVO more than snapstream/TV card, as its linux based and completely open. Also your first job on install is to replace the Hard drives, I have 2 120gigs that will go in mine.

I am not a TIVO lover as I don't have one yet, but am being more convinced everyday its the way to go.

Comment

People with TIVO just 'Love it', but it look like ReplayTV is the way to go
                              It offer much more stuff, for about $50.00 more;
                              Is this toy running Linux, and can be blast with big Hard-drives too?
                              Funny, they don't list what (12) is for ; while we all know it is for the 2nd HD...

Comment

Working...
                              X