Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need some input of how to spend more money...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can either ReplayTV or TIVO be used with out the monthly fee?

-Rupp
    ...One Nation Under GOD, Indivisible, With Liberty And Justice For All.
    -Rupp
    sigpic

Comment

Older versions of TiVo can be used without subscription, but in this form, they're really just overpriced VCRs. Newer versions can't be used without a subscription. Again, to a large extent, the service *is* the TiVo, and the box is just the thing you use to receive it. The features that remain with the box are the least important ones, and definitely not worth the price. (Unfortunately, they're also the ones that are easiest to explain, and therefore, the ones that a lot of people think are the point of a TiVo. About two weeks with a TiVo seems to be necessary to really understand what it really is.)

I don't know about whether a ReplayTV without a subscription deprecates itself into something partially useful, or not at all useful, but either way, the same general reasoning applies.

One note of interest: the new Series 2 DirecTiVos will be available with no monthly cost (and full functionality) for those who are also getting a particular package of programming. For everyone else, it's only $5/month. If you use DirecTV or are willing to switch, this might be all the reason you need to do it.

Nucleus Home Automation
      News, support, and updates for Rover, Network Monitor, TimeIcons, and more

Comment

They have a PVR unit that can be used with any of their plans at no extra charge. I was able to pick one up free if I signed a 1 year contract for the basic package. It can hold 13 hours of recordings, and you can also use it to activate a VCR to record additional shows on tape. Comes with a UHF remote, so I can operate anywhere in the house.

Comment

I just built a computer for my kid to take to college. It has dvd, cdrw, fm radio, tv tuner, tv recorder, TIVO like capabilities, downloaded tv station guide, etc. The ATI All in Wonder 8500DV video card ($230) is great. Put all that in there with a 2gig AMD and 80 gig of disk space. It will record like 28 hours as I setup it up but I think I limited the recording time to 10gig. It's worth looking at. Used the Abit AT7 all USB motherboard, no PS2, serial, or parallel ports, includes USB 1.1 and 2.0, and firewire.

I will build another one just like it and put it in my home theater setup.

SteveP

Comment

Does the All-in-Wonder allow you to record from DirectTV? Does the downloaded guide include DirecTV programming? Thanks.

Comment

but I am not sure about DirecTV programming. You need to dig around Gemstar.

You can even record off of a camcorder, etc.

SteveP

Comment

Sorry didn't mean to be so terse but I was at work. I would check into it a more for you but that computer went to college with my kid. I must be nuts, the best machine I ever had and my kid has it.

SteveP

Comment

Working...
                X