X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Digital TV Recorder from Linux Box

Anybody tried this in the USA yet?

VDR web page

Be cool to build a digital TV recorder for digital cable that I can't get easily on my TVs. I hate my cable company's setup units and won't get them.

SteveP

Funny you mention this. I was just reading about building a linux PVR in Popular Science. They have a step by step in this months issue.

-Rupp
    ...One Nation Under GOD, Indivisible, With Liberty And Justice For All.
    -Rupp
    sigpic

Comment

It's not really step by step, unless you're a Linux guy I suppose. My son showed me the article while we were out on a fishing trip (read NO INTERNET!) and I was dying to check it out as soon as I got home. I can't see where anybody in the US is doing this. Looks like it's all foreign. Hate to go about building this thing and find out our lovely digital cable systems preclude a unit like this. I have an old Compaq rebuilt to be a DVD player on W98 with a Hollywood plus card that could quickly go Linux if I can get digital cable. I can't get Tech TV here unless I up my cable bill about $50/month to watch one channel. I just can see putting the stupid cable boxes on every TV and losing all programmability to because of that.

SteveP

Comment

Same here. I refuse to go digital mainly because I do not watch TV much at all so I do not want to added cost. But I love my cable modem. I wondering how much longer they'll let us hold outs go before mandating digital.

-Rupp
        ...One Nation Under GOD, Indivisible, With Liberty And Justice For All.
        -Rupp
        sigpic

Comment

Have a look at PVR software Showshifter(.com).
          I bought this software this week after trying all the different ones that I could find.
          You can download a thirty day trial.
          It works realy well except there's no integrated
          electronic program guide for Canada.(I think there is one that works for the US.)
          I have an ATI all in wonder Radeon 7500, that came with an rf remote. Showshifter has a driver for this remote.
          I also use a Channel Plus modulator which I put the computer on it's own 'TV' Channel within the house.

Now I just have to get HomeSeer to control this program so I can phone in and tell it to record something.... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
          Showshifter has keyboard shortcuts, but HomeSeer is on another box. Does anyone know how to send key commands to a remote computer on a network?

Warren

Comment

I just built a machine with the 8500DV. Love it. But it's only analog and I still can't get any digital channels. I even have the modulator and low pass filter in place to push the DVR signal out to my sets. I just need a way to get the digital cable signals.

SteveP

Comment

Warren,

I wrote a utility the other day to do exactly what you're talking about. Send me an email (see profile) and I'll send you a copy.

- Steve

Comment

Steve P:
                I use the composite in on my ATI card to record from the Digital Cable box A/V jacks.
                It's not a perfect setup, but recording and compressing video on a pc isn't going to give you digital quality anyway.
                The digital cable is also modulated onto its own chanel for use at any tv.

Steve B:
                Thanks, I'll send the email.

Warren

PS; I had a typo in my email address in my message board profile. Fixed. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

Comment

as I would be modulating the signal around the house also. I don't want to get that stupid digital cable box and pay my carrier 8bucks a month per TV just to see a channel. It's one thing to have to pay for the digital feed but I had paying 8bucks per TV for a new TV tuner essentially. My cable company is working on stupid stuff like VCR controls via their systems so that they can keep pumping you for more and more service fees (guess they are following the MaBell phone model). I just want to setup a box that can get about 2 or three digital channels primarily and modulate them around the house.
                  This Linux box would seem to be a good way to accomplish that so that I am not hostage to TV Tuner rentals of at least 40bucks a month. Plus, I don't want to loose the features of my WinTV cards I currently have by frontending them with a stupid digital cable box and surrendering them to 'channel 3 forever' type tuning. Either the digital set top box makers need to become the defacto standard with built-in interfaces to VCRs and TVs (and TVs/VCRs are just display units) or TV/VCRs have to incorporate the funtionality of setup boxes. But this 'Set your TV on Channel 3 forever' stuff sucks.

SteveP

Comment

As far as trying this in the U.S. It doesn't appear that the tuner cards they use in this project are available for US systems. Here's another article regarding the VDR project...Roll Your Own Digital Video Recorder

Comment

I haven't found a lot of folks in the US acknowledging this. Or else, Linux people all over the world all speak another language. No wonder I don't have any Linux around, I only speak english!

SteveP

Comment

Yes it does point back to the german site, but the key point in the article is the following;

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>First, the bad news: for American Linux users, VDR is indeed too good to be true. The building of a Linux VDR box to record U.S. television shows is hampered by the fact that U.S. stations broadcast their signals differently from European ones. The DVB cards used in Europe (which VDR is written to interface with) are not compatible with U.S. broadcasts. VDR works only with the DVB-S, DVB-C, and DVB-T models supported by the Linux DVB driver. These cards are for (respectively) satellite, cable, and terrestrial broadcasts in the European market <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So this software will only work with European broadcasts.

I also seem to recall that one of the problems with a US version of this hardware, is that each cable company has its own "standard" for set-top boxes. A box for one cable company doesn't necessarily work with another company's system. So until there is a standard, the hardware would need to be specific to your cable company's system, just like the cable boxes. All of this is from memory, I'll try and find where I read this. And feel free to correct me if I'm off base with this info.

Comment

with the fact that the cable providers seem to support only certain boxes. There will be a lot more digital cable video investigationin the near future that may help shine some light on this.

I was hoping that since Hauppauge is starting to put out some cards in digital video (dvb-s card) that we might be getting close.

I would guess they will probably lock us out and keep us in those stupid set top boxes so they can charge us for more and more services. I know Time Warner here is starting a service where you can use a VCR like capability to stop and rewind playback of the signal they are providing. I can't imagine ever wanting to buy that. May have to when they figure out how to block our ability to record video like the 'good old days'.

SteveP

Comment

Can you email your program to me at akraymond3 at yahoo dot com?

Thanks,

Ray

Comment

Hi Ray,

It's on it's way.

Regards,
                              Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X