Which microphone is better?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which microphone is better?

I'm about to set up voice-automation by placing microphones in all the rooms of my house. What I am thinking: which is better... the Acoustic Magic Microphone mentioned in this forum or attaching a wireless microphone to my clothes (yes, I'm a trekkie [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Anyone have experience with either solution?

Grtz,
    Dutch

A search on microphones turned up dozens of threads. Here's one:

http://ubb.homeseer.com/6/ubb.x?a=tp...934#3242994934

-Rupp

--- Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy new Year ---

...it was a holy night.
    -Rupp
    sigpic

Comment

Yeah, I've read just about every thread about microphones and decided that the Acoustic Magic Microphone would be the best. But I was just thinking about a WIRELESS solution (a mic attached to my clothes). Anyone have experience with this?

Grtz,
      Dutch

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Comment

By the way: the Pre-amp Microphone (PA3) you mentioned (Rupp) is very cheap ($12.95) compared to the Acoustic Magic Microphone ($239.95). Do you think this price difference is worth the money?

Grtz,
        Dutch

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Comment

Its hard to say, but for me, spending $200 dollars for one room is hardly a good deal. Others love this particular microphone but I do not see the VR benefits. The main reason I do not use the VR more than I do is because I can't remember what to say and I end up yelling to my PC in vain. I can't seem to come up with a good enough reason to have my PC act upon speech. Dead imagination I guess. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

-Rupp

--- Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy new Year ---

...it was a holy night.
          -Rupp
          sigpic

Comment

I bought one of those PA3 mics when I first got into trying Homeseer. In fact VR was why I even downloaded it in the first place. But I soon found that VR took a back seat to my whole house audio system and VR and music playing just don't mix. I am like Rupp as I don't see the need past the novelty aspect to use VR. I instead tied in an X10 Palm Pad into my Nowplaying setup. I can now control volume, track selection as well as lights from my finger tips and not have to remember what and how I spoke some command. Just my $.02

John
            John

Comment

Dutch
              I'm using a Nady wireless mic setup plugged into my sound card. I have had great luck with the setup. The one I have has 2 lapel mics each with it's own channel. I'm planning on sensing the channel led on the receiver to tell HS who is speaking, but I have not implemented that yet.

Rupp is correct. If you don't remember the phrase (e.g "wheat bread" instead of "brown bread") you end up yelling at the computer, yelling at the kids, yelling at the wife, yelling at the dog.....

I'm not sure VR is ever going to be ready for prime time, unless it can get to the point where it understands whispers, yells, excited screams, frustrated grunts, etc. so I wont consider hundreds of dollars per room, just for the microphone. I think those dollars can go a lot further with good quality dimmer switches, IR control gear, etc.

Cheers,
              Tom

Comment

Working...
              X