Music that follows one throughout the house

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Music that follows one throughout the house

I'm looking for a passive way for HS to track WHO is in a particular room or area of the house. If I could find a reliable way to do this, I would use it to set up a system that would play music I like in the area of the house I'm in, and music my wife likes in the area she is in (or her music when we're BOTH in the same area -- high WAF!)

Are the under-floor flex sensors I've seen discussed on this board sensitive enough to tell which of two people are in a room if the weight difference is 30-40 lbs?

What other methods are there? I wouldn't want to use a method that requires actually doing something like pushing a button when entering a room. That would prove to be more trouble than it's worth and not nearly as cool as having your music automatically follow you from room to room (like Bill Gates' house does).

I know I would have to use an audio amplifier that allows for multiple input sources and output zones. My house is wired to accomodate this (every room speaker is home-run back to a central location) so I just need to figure out a way to track people.

Thanks.

What happens when you and your wife occupy the same room?

-Nitrox

Comment

Using an ID only iButton would work but its not passive. You would have to touch the button to a sensor.
      http://www.ibutton.com/products/ibuttons.html

Other than embedding a chip in you somewhere I don't see a viable way of achieving this in a passive way.

-Rupp
      ...it was a holy night.
      -Rupp
      sigpic

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> What happens when you and your wife occupy the same room? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In that case, obviously, HER music would be playing. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I wish I could do that too...but my wife turns OFF the music when she walks in the house. Now if I could automate that I would have high WAF! (I guess I could - couldn't I?)

Comment

What about some sort of RF tag that you could wear. I have seen them used in assy plants to track engine blocks etc. There might be something for personal use. Then using some sort of RF reciever in each room you could know who was near each reciever.

Comment

You can also use pulsing IR tags that have a code telling who it is with IR sensors in each room/area. Check the VNC web site and look at the Active Badges project:

Active Badges project

- huggy
              |
              | - Gordon

"I'm a Man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess." - Man's Prayer, Possum Lodge, The Red Green Show
              HiddenGemStudio.com - MaineMusicians.org - CunninghamCreativeMaine.website

Comment

Looks promising but this article just talked about prototypes. Can they actually be purchased yet? Where? How much do they cost?

Comment

There are systems available, but it's been some time since I looked into them. They are expensive due to the infrastructure required to support receiving the signals (lots of wire, detectors, zones, etc.). Actually, given the info available on the Inet, you should be able to make some if you're electronically inclined. I refuse, as it is YANSSIHOMB - Yet Another Not-So-Small Item Hanging Off My Belt - that I don't care to put up with.

But maybe we can come up with a "home-made" version for us HA hackers...

Try searching for personnel locators, asset locators, or similar. Inital searches came up with this page:

web page

- huggy

[This message was edited by huggy on Thursday, 12 December 2002 at 10:07 PM.]

[This message was edited by huggy on Thursday, 12 December 2002 at 10:10 PM.]
                  |
                  | - Gordon

"I'm a Man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess." - Man's Prayer, Possum Lodge, The Red Green Show
                  HiddenGemStudio.com - MaineMusicians.org - CunninghamCreativeMaine.website

Comment

Here is a link to an RF system.

http://www.ti.com/tiris/docs/product...TH1-CB2A.shtml

Comment

Sony has just what you need. It's sold under the name "Walkman" [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

-----------------------------
                      If you don't know what you're doing... do it neatly.

Comment

Working...
                      X