Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bridging Stereo to 2 mono speakers

Dumb question:

I want to install speakers in each of my bathrooms (mono ok), so how does one take a stereo speaker-level audio feed and convert it to two speakers (mono) that will be in two different rooms. I already have a speaker impedance matching distribution box...

Thanks much!
    HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Hi Krumpy

You could use dual voice coil speakers, which is where there are two coils inside the speaker. The stereo signals are connected separately but both operate the same speaker cone.

Or you could use standard mono speakers and mix the two stereo signals together. The simplest way would be to use a couple of resistors. I'm sure I saw a website somewhere with some info on doing this. Let me know if you don't have any luck and I'll try to find it again.

Regards,
    Steve

Comment

I have already purchased the speakers. So would be interested in a wiring diagram.. Thanks for your time..
      HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Comment

Will the speakers have their own amplifier or will they be driven from an amp that's shared with other speakers?

If they have their own amp, then you could mix the line level (input to amp) signals together before they enter the amp. If so, have a look at this page: http://www.epanorama.net/circuits/linemixer.html (Not the top diagram, scroll down to the simpler one under the heading "Can I make this circuit even simpler ?") Doing it this way you'd only need a mono amp, and you'd have no impedance matching problems to worry about.

If your bathroom speakers need to feed from the same amp as other (stereo speakers), you'll have to mix the speaker level signals together using something like this: http://www.allbrandselectronics.com/prod.itml/icOid/783 Be careful not to overload the amp if you're running several speakers from it.

Hope this helps!

Regards,
        Steve

Comment

OK I'm obviously not following this thread. If you want to put a single speaker in each bathroom then just run one wire to one bathroom and the other wire to the other.

-Rupp
          -Rupp
          sigpic

Comment

...then you'd have left only in one room, and right only in the other room. Krumpy's asking for a way to get both channels through a mono speaker in both rooms.

Comment

If your not "hearing" the stereo signal would it matter?

-Rupp
              -Rupp
              sigpic

Comment

It might. Depends what you're listening to... if there's a sound (instrument/voice/whatever) that's mainly on the right or the left, you wouldn't hear it through the other speaker. It makes some things sound really weird because certain instruments would be missing in one room or the other.

Comment

Rupp,

at first I was thinking the same thing.. After some thinking I came to Steve's conclusion..

Currently, I have a speaker impeadance matching switch box connected to a single amplifier.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                  X