USB IR Adapter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USB IR Adapter

Lately, I've been considering getting into some IR stuff with my HA setup. Basically, I want to control my Home Theater, DirecTivo, etc from my HomeSeer PC. Because my components are in a closed cabinet, I guess I would need some sort of 'hood' over each compnent's IR receiver so I can control from an IR extender?

I ran across this today:
    http://www.home-electro.com/

The Tira-1 is a USB IR transmitter/receiver. Seems reasonably priced - Would I use a device like this to send the IR to one of those pyramid-shaped IR extenders with cable going to the component?

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks!

Rob Mason
    HS4Pro Running on a Raspberry Pi4
    68 Z-Wave Nodes, 175 Events, 359 Devices
    UPB modules via OMNI plugin/panel
    Plugins: Z-Wave, OMNI, HSTouch, weatherXML, EasyTrigger
    HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 Joggler

basically I've done just that. In my home theater equipment I've got a dvd changer, stereo receiver, cd changer, cable box, tv and vcr. I opted for the Ocelot with it's Secu16-IR module. Homeseer has plugin support. Ocelot setup and ir training was a snap. Without knowing anything about what I was getting into I had this set up and working in less than 5 hours.

Comment

Thanks, Guy - that would make a great testimonial for the Ocelot. I've considered it, but the cost was a little expensive for what I wanted - I might have to revisit.

Thanks!

Rob Mason

Comment

regarding

http://www.home-electro.com/

I see that at the end of March, they plan to start shipping their two-way IR interface (sends and receives). Has USB interfacea to PC (boo, I'd prefer serial, so it can run a long cable from PC to TV area). Not a deal buster though. I may buy it. $49 US. Could be a good deal.

FYI: I have built a two-way IR thing, with a serial interface. Works well. Cheap, not a product, and it's currently rather ugly - built on a $15 Olimex protoboard. I spent a lot of time cranking code for it so it can use a $3 microprocessor chip and be independent of brand of remot. It's shown here: (login as guest/guest)
        http://childress.d2g.com/newweb/TWIRP/twirp.html

Comment

I agree - the $49 is a good starting price. I'm thinking of taking the plunge and getting one.

You bring up a good point about the cable run. I'm lucky that my PC is in a good position where USB would be OK.

Thanks, Steve!

Rob Mason

Comment

I'm currently at the same stage as you, Rob.

As you can see here I'm also looking for a good way to handle IR. I'm still unsure if HomeSeer is compatible with other devices than the Ocelot (which is pricy indeed!)

Please someone tell me if these devices are supported by HomeSeer?

Grtz,
            Dutch

Comment

You can use a Cat 5 USB extender. I beleive they are about $99. I have one in my Dodge Durango.

Nathan

Comment

Working...
              X