Dimming Capsylite bulbs makes noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dimming Capsylite bulbs makes noise

I just installed some Linc controllers to some recessed fixtures. I installed Sylvania Capsylite 75 watt floods in the fixtures. I have the switchlincs turn them on at 70% and have noticed that the noise on the line goes from 120mv to 250mv. I brightened the bulbs to 100% and the noise diminished back to 125mv.

Anybody found floods that don't generate noise when dimmed?

Or anybody got a good way to cut the noise?

I am considering inline filters......

SteveP

I Pledge Allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    The REAL Pledge of Allegiance

Steve,

I'm running the same bulbs off of a Switchlinc (LS) dimmer.. and don't see the same noise problem that you do (at least based on the data that I get from my ELK).

OTOH, I will say that I'm not all that pleased with the average life span of the capsylite bulbs. I'm getting less than a year out of them in my kitchen application, and they go out like clockwork. When one goes, the other three will die within the month.

Comment

I couldn't see the noise with my Elk either. I had to break out the AT004 meter. I wonder if other bulbs dimmed will generate that much noise. I happen to have a couple of 6287 noise blockers so I will try wiring them in. If they work, I will be ordering a couple more from Worthington and keeping them on hand!

SteveP

I Pledge Allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

Comment

I wired in a Leviton 6287 noise blocker. Instead of seeing my noise level raise about 125mv, it raised about 1.5volts! I have no idea why the noise blocker would generate more noise then no blocker at all. Guess I will call Leviton tomorrow and find out why. I will probably just ditch the capsylite bulbs when the noise starts to have too much of an influence. It doesn't seem that other bulbs generate that much noise. I'm only running about 1.2 volts of signal at those lights.

SteveP

Comment

Those capsylite bulbs have diodes in them, they only conduct on half of the cycle. This can cause problems with feeder transformers, as well as the triac in the dimmers.
          Use a different brand of bulb.

Comment

the guy told me to switch to GE bulbs. Leviton own GE? He said that only the GE bulbs work well for HA controllers.

After searching around the hardware stores, I finally found some GE bulbs at Ace Hardware. Home Depot carries Phillips and Lowes carries Sylvania.

I installed two 50 watt GE Halogen floods and tested, dimmed to the same level.

The GE bulbs did generate less noise. Instead of 225mv of noise, I only get about 175mv of noise when dimmed. Full power drops the noise to about 100mv. The Capsylites had about 150mv of noise even at full power.

So it is better but I need to try some other non-Capsylite bulbs to see if it's just GE that works the best. I will say that there is none of that stupid humming out of the GE filaments but the other halogens didn't really do that anyway.

SteveP

Comment

Working...
            X