Is this where I use an Optoisolator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power
    The 3 AA batteries are fine. To me that means I could use CAT5 and send it 5vdc while picking up the contacts and that would be within that spec. I have a 5vdc power supply out of an old IBM token ring MAU that I use for 5volts.

Batteries made me think of something else. It would be nice if you could identify where in this circuit, you could connect an MS13a light detector circuit up to this so that you could adapt it for wireless use. Hope this idea isn't overcomplicating. It it does, forget it.

Reading the schematic
    I was able to read all other PDFs tonight. I opented the Adobe reader with no file and then clicking the schematic allowed it to read fine.

SteveP

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steve P:
      It would be nice if you could identify where in this circuit, you could connect an MS13a light detector circuit up to this so that you could adapt it for wireless use.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
      I have a schematic of the MS12A, and it uses a CDS cell for it's light detector. That is perfectly compatible with the output of the H11F1 optocoupler. In other words, the above schematic should allow you to wire your litterbox, and most anything else, up to a motion sensor. Just remove the CDS cell, and put the output of the opto in it's place.

Comment

On the transistor setup, the collector of both transistors and the input of the optio are all connected to the +9v power. The base of the first transistor is connected to the output of the optio. The emitter of the first transistor is then connected to the base of the second transistor. The emitter of the second transistor goes to the down stream 10K transistor (which probably be a lower value if needed). This is like a darlington transistor setup, but might be a little more sensitive. A darlington might work, as well as a field effect transistor.
        Why I like my 2005 rio yellow Honda S2000 with the top down, and more!

Comment

I was noticing today that I could use this circuit to detect the armed and power lights on my burglar alarm keypad. This would make a very simple interface to my alarm. Then, I thought, if possible could we have a circuit variation that instead of the optoisolator that supports very low voltages, could we also have one where just a phototransistor was in place and then anything with an LED (that you can block) could be interface even without actually adding anything to the circuit to be watched.

SteveP

I Pledge Allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
          The REAL Pledge of Allegiance

Comment

Should I be ordering some H11F1 optocouplers from Jameco?

Is that the way to go? If I know they are definitely it, I can get some on the way to play around with.

Also, so that I could make a more complete Jameco order, what voltage should I go for in the relay that would serve as the contact closure?

Other stuff to order right away in there?

SteveP

SteveP

I Pledge Allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

Comment

I haven't found anything that would replace this idea.

Any way we can start this up again?

Should I order some of the H11F1 as we know they are definitely the way to go?

SteveP

Comment

Steve:
                I've thought about the 'universal interface' idea a lot, and it is really hard to be truly universal. The optocoupler with the current regulator (above & here) is pretty close.

For your litter-box (I mean your cat's litter-box), an H11F1 and a resistor (39 ohm) is worth a try. You could hook it up to either your SECU16 (I mean your cat's SECU16), or to an MS13A. I can send you these parts, if you like, as I have them on the shelf.

Comment

Have you tried the previously suggested test with the resistor/transistor across the buzzer and testing it with a meter?
                  Why I like my 2005 rio yellow Honda S2000 with the top down, and more!

Comment

Working...
                  X