Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible to program garage opener with rolling code for two cars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible to program garage opener with rolling code for two cars?

I have a new house with two Chamberlain LiftMaster garagedoor openers. Now I would like to enable the "HomeLink" keys in my wifes and in my car to open both set doors individually.

Is it possible to have the Liftmaster "learn" to recognize both cars? Or am I limited to one car per opener?

- Rikard

Does each door have a separate opener. If so you should be able to learn each remote into the buttons in your car just fine.

-Rupp

What hair color do they put on the driver's licenses of bald men?
    -Rupp
    sigpic

Comment

Yes, I have two separate openers and remotes. One for each door.

What I was curious about is; Can you have multiple cars trained into the rolling code sequence of one opener? Or does pressing the "learn" button on the opener (in the ceiling) erase/invalidate any previously trained cars...?

I need to be able to open any door with both cars.

- Rikard

Comment

Rikard,

As long as the built-in "remote" in each car is rolling-code capable and has multiple buttons, you should be able to have each car learn each of your two remotes (each remote on a separate button of course.) Then each car can open either garage door. I use Genie garage door openers with rolling codes and was able to do what you are asking. The motor units should learn many individual remotes and not erase a previously programmed unit when learning a new one. Check the Chamberlain manually carefully - there should be a procedure for adding more remotes and also one for removing remotes.

Try this programming procedure (assuming 2 door openers and 2 cars):

1) Teach the "remote" built into your car the code sequence of the hand-held remote for the door #1 opener. Follow your vehicle mfgr's instructions for this.
        2) Teach the door #1 motor unit this "new" remote in your car. Carefully follow the instructions provided by Chamberlain.
        3) Teach the 'remote' built into your car the code sequence of the hand-held remote for the door #2 opener.
        4) Teach the door #2 motor unit this "new" remote in your car.

Repeat this same sequence on your wife's car.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
        -Mark-

If you're not standing on the edge, you're taking up too much room!
        Best regards,
        -Mark-

If you're not out on the edge, you're taking up too much room!
        Interested in 3D maps? Check out my company site: Solid Terrain Modeling

Comment

Most of the openers today have receivers that can respond to multiple remotes - you just train them according to the instructions with the opener/receiver. For example, the Genie Intellicode receiver ($50) I retrofitted to my garage door opener can use up to 7 remotes or wireless keypads. BTW, the Genie is a nice remote system for those of us looking for secure RF remote use for HA, not a bad price, either.

If you use the same single remote in one car on both doors, hitting the button will open both garage doors at once. If you use two separate buttons or remotes in the same car, then you can choose which door to open.

I went with the Genie because I also have a door lock that has a garage door button using the Intellicode signaling, and so one fob can be used for garage, door, and lights. Cuts down on the keychain items.

- Gordon

Write your Congresspeople that we want tighter anti-spam legislation. The new CANSPAM act actually gives marketers the right to spam you at least once, and you have to opt-out with each business. Who's rights are being protected? Business, not the peoples'. See http://www.cauce.org .
          |
          | - Gordon

"I'm a Man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess." - Man's Prayer, Possum Lodge, The Red Green Show
          HiddenGemStudio.com - MaineMusicians.org - CunninghamCreativeMaine.website

Comment

I have an older garage door opener that I upgraded with the rolling code controller. Both my car, my wife's car, my sons keyfob, and our wireless numeric pad access all work together. You just put it in learn mode anytime you get a new device, have it learn it, and it adds it to its list without removing the old ones. Works great, and very high WAF for the integrated in the visor garage door opener. She doesnt have to change batteries, and most importantly cant lose the thing.

Comment

off topic a bit, but I want a new opener which is high tech as you all discuss, but also the most quiet I can find. Is this a belt drive? Chain? I think screw drive is the worst.

Quiet Brands?

Comment

supposedly the screw drives are the quietest, so I bought one, and I have to agree with you, it is very loud! I would check out epinions.com.

---
                http://www.CocoonTech.com
                HSPRO 2.4 (ESXi 4.1) | my.Alert NEW | my.Trigger | HSTouch | ACRF2 | UltraM1G | BLWeather | BLLan | Rover
                (aka xplosiv)
                Do You Cocoon? Home Automation News, Tutorials, Reviews, Forums & Chat

Comment

We have two screw drive Genie Excelerator with DC motors. They are very, very quiet compared to any of the AC motor based openers we've had in the past. We've been quite happy with the low sound for the past three years. Here's a link to the product: http://www.geniecompany.com/Products/excelerator.htm

--David

Comment

We have chain drive openers and they are loud but for now I prefer that as I have a 17 year old daughter who has "borrowed" Mom's car a time or two - without checking with Mom - lol. Makes for an effective deterent / garage door announcer.

Bruce

Only 2 things are infinite - the universe & human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe. A. Einstein
                    Bruce

"The universal answer is 42."

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>• Genie Excelerator ISD900-2 (*est. $200)

&gt;&gt; Genie's Excelerator represents the state of the art in screw-drive garage-door openers: It closes the door at the standard rate of seven inches per second, but opens it twice as fast, and reviewers say the ability to get into the house quickly offers an extra security advantage and convenience. Plus, this Genie starts and stops gently to decease wear. The Excelerator has a safety sensor that automatically reverses the door if an obstruction is detected, plus a vacation lock. Experts recommend this model more than any other garage door opener on the market.
                      • Craftsman 53964 (*est. $220)

&gt;&gt; If quiet operation is your top priority, experts say belt-driven models are the most quiet. This Craftsman model beats the Genie Excelerator in noise tests, but experts say it isn't quite as easy to install. This 1/2-horsepower model has rolling code technology for increased security, and has a safety reverse feature, but the Craftsman 53964 opens the door in about twice the time as the Genie above.
                      <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

-Rupp

-Rupp
                      sigpic

Comment

Bruce, check out the following post:
                        http://www.cocoontech.com/index.php?showtopic=52

---
                        http://www.CocoonTech.com
                        HSPRO 2.4 (ESXi 4.1) | my.Alert NEW | my.Trigger | HSTouch | ACRF2 | UltraM1G | BLWeather | BLLan | Rover
                        (aka xplosiv)
                        Do You Cocoon? Home Automation News, Tutorials, Reviews, Forums & Chat

Comment

I have to agree w/ Dan (xplosiv) on the Genie Excelerator - it is the quietest door opener I've ever used. It also has accel/decel at the ends of travel and has a 2x open speed if you have sectional doors.

Best regards,
                          -Mark-

If you're not standing on the edge, you're taking up too much room!
                          Best regards,
                          -Mark-

If you're not out on the edge, you're taking up too much room!
                          Interested in 3D maps? Check out my company site: Solid Terrain Modeling

Comment

I think you read Dan's thread wrong he stated ...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
                            supposedly the screw drives are the quietest, so I bought one, and I have to agree with you, it is very loud! I would check out epinions.com.
                            <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

-Rupp

-Rupp
                            sigpic

Comment

Just to emphasize, the Excelerator screw drive is QUIET, not loud. I've had the belt jobs in the past, and they were much louder. But, I think much of this has to do with the Excelerator using a DC motor. If you live in the DC area, c'mon over for a listen!

--David

Comment

Working...
                              X