Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Automobile Dash Cam - Anyone using them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automobile Dash Cam - Anyone using them?

I saw various YouTube videos of crazy dashcam videos ( mostly eastern Europe, sorry ) - but I want one to cover me if there is an issue.

So, is anyone using one and does anyone have any recommendations?

Cheers- Bill

~Bill

I'm curious: what sort of issues might it help with?

My wife has been wanting to get one because in Texas there are just far too many highly aggressive tailgaters, with predictable consequences. However, I'm not sure how having dash cam would help against tailgaters, except maybe as added protection against their hired help, namely crooked lawyers. Maybe from that perspective a dashcam is a worthwhile supplement to insurance.... Are there any other benefits it might bestow? I'm unsure how best to mull it over.

Comment

They are also good for catching those passing comets.
      http://www.newyorker.com/online/blog...ssian-sky.html
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uh4j05o3AXQ
      -Rupp
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NeverDie View Post
        I'm not sure how having dash cam would help against tailgaters, except maybe as added protection against their hired help, namely crooked lawyers. Maybe from that perspective a dashcam is a worthwhile supplement to insurance.... Are there any other benefits it might bestow?
        My understanding is that they are popular in Russia because fraudulent accidents are so pervasive there. There are certainly pockets of insurance fraud in the US, where drivers are trapped into an unavoidable collision and then blamed for it, all the while claiming serious injury to a large group of people. Clearly having a video record of the accident can be a big help if the other side has a crowd of 'witnesses' making false statements. Beyond that, it's probably mostly just another toy to fiddle with and fix when it breaks, and then ignore.
        Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
        HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF, Rain8Net+ | RFXCOM | QSE100D | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | X10: XTB-232, -IIR | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3

Comment

not my truck... but a good use for one....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MP5qsbU8ExM
          HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Originally posted by NeverDie View Post
            I'm curious: what sort of issues might it help with?

My wife has been wanting to get one because in Texas there are just far too many highly aggressive tailgaters, with predictable consequences. However, I'm not sure how having dash cam would help against tailgaters, except maybe as added protection against their hired help, namely crooked lawyers. Maybe from that perspective a dashcam is a worthwhile supplement to insurance.... Are there any other benefits it might bestow? I'm unsure how best to mull it over.
            There used to be something called something like 'swerve and stop' where you'd be following a car at a safe distance, someone would cut infront of you shortening the distance, then they'd hit the brakes and sue you for hitting them. As far as you issue I'd mount one in the back facing rearward. I'm most worried about bicyclists and their antics.

If you get in a wreck that's not your fault and you state you have a dash cam it shuts down a lot of potential legal nonsense.

~Bill

Comment

My dashcam died within days. Looking into converting my old Galaxy Nexus.

~Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Brower View Post
                My dashcam died within days. Looking into converting my old Galaxy Nexus.
                This one http://www.amazon.com/LUKAS-LK-7900-...=cm_cr_pr_pb_t seemed to garner some good reviews on amazon. It claims to have a pretty wide operating temperature (up to 176 degrees F) and a UV filter, so that might help with longevity in a hot climate like here. On the other hand, I have no way of knowing whether the advertised specs are even true. I was surprised to learn on the EEVBlog, for instance, that a lot of multimeter specs are just flat out false, and apparently there's just little to no "truth in advertising" enforcement. Fluke's specs are trustworthy though. I'm not sure who the "Fluke" of dash cams would be.

Durability is a must, but I'm not sure that high resolution is. I wonder how much is "good enough"? Maybe even fairly low resolution is sufficient. I would think that just about anything would be much better than nothing. Also, what about nighttime recording? It seems like demo footage is usually taken in daytime. I'd like to see some "typical" nighttime footage. GPS? For the intended purpose, I don't see the need for it.

In general, this type of gadget looks like it would benefit from a professional install at a Fry's, a Best Buy, or a car stereo type shop, or similar. Just plugging into a cigarette lighter for power doesn't seem like a good long-term solution for anything but a rental car. Probably easy to cleanly hide the wires for an installer who does it day in and day out.
                Last edited by NeverDie; January 22nd, 2014, 01:09 AM.

Comment

I like but I don't have Pete's money

I'm still going to check it out though - thank you

~Bill

Comment

I installed USB cams (just backup cams) on the carpc's a while ago.

I purchased "el cheapo" $20 cams.

There isn't much out here in the rural midwestern subdivision but farms mostly.

I did almost hit some deer a couple of months ago.
                    - Pete

Auto mator
                    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.8X
                    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.8X
                    HS4 Pro - V4.0.5.0 - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono 6.8X
                    HS4 Lite -

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

Now that you mention it, my wife's car has a backup cam that displays on the radio display when backing up (and only then). It was part of the car's design, and I assume the idea is to help with avoiding obstacles. I get the impression it either is becoming or already has become a common feature in newer cars, especially the Japanese ones.

The camera's image isn't very good, but then again the current exercise is more about "good enough" than winning an Oscar for cinematography. At some level, it would be nice to tap into her existing backup cam, rather than duplicate it with another camera. Less clutter. However, I'm guessing it would be harder to do that technically than just adding a "redundant" dashcam. I don't actually know though, so I'm just throwing it out there in case maybe this is already being done. If it required a factory kit to do it, most likely it would be priced for maximum gouge.

Comment

Yup; its a OEM stock thing now on just about any automobile with an HU display.

Surround cams were an option on high end EU/APAC cars in the 1990's.

My oldest EU car is a 2001 (never drive it) but the "surround" cams were already an option back in 2001 with very expensive electronics. IE: the navigation option was $4k back then. There is a literal rack of all of the electronics that talk on the bus. Its very structured and modular. IE: CD Changer, Amp, radio tuner, GPS Navigation, TV, Bluetooth module on and on; very OCD like. Personally here I bought the electronics from the EU as many were never offered on the for US export automobiles. Bluetooth was offered some 4 years before it was stock here in the US.
                        - Pete

Auto mator
                        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.8X
                        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.8X
                        HS4 Pro - V4.0.5.0 - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono 6.8X
                        HS4 Lite -

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

Re: Automobile Dash Cam - Anyone using them?

Hey never.... google it and you can find out how to over ride. I have seen it done. Also you can buy cameras cheap... it is only expensive when you want to record

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

jumped over to my pc..

so $30 from staples.. can try and if dont like.. return it..

http://www.staples.com/office/suppli...33-252414658-2

mine is in a GMC Sierra and is in the rear view mirror. Wasnt sure if I was going to like it but I do. I am contemplating buying a $400 android radio for my truck. found one on fleabay that is like a tablet.. you remove it and plug it in as like a doc... and it does all kinds of things..

i just have the stock crappy radio... go figure.. $52k truck and a POS radio... UGHHHHHH

like this one.. but not mine..
                            $90

http://www.frys.com/product/6524793?...FZPm7Aod9lwAVg

mine is this one..
                            http://www.brandmotion.com/factory-g...p-monitor.html

$145 for rear view mirror...
                            http://www.ebay.com/itm/Backup-camer...-/180896139314

Comment

Yup; I installed it stock where as a backup signal talks on the IBus which talks to the computer and enables the backup camera which in turn shuts off the stereo et al; safety thing. The camera video though was always integrated into the stock OEM television module (which never really was sold in the US). I did change the camera to a wide angle lens with LED illumination and a distance grid overlay.

Yup here the rear view mirror is a little computer in itself with the rain sensor electronics for the windshield and other stuff. My sister just purchased a new van and the backup camera view is built into the rear view mirror with the GPS and Bluetooth module. Issue is that it doesn't shut down properly and has drained her battery a couple of times now in the last few months (new car?).

Geez recalling now putting a remote starter on my 80's something Blazer. It was very mechanical with a solenoid and cable that went to the carburator to adjust the idle. The remote for the starter was the size of a walkie talkie with a 36" antenna on it that folded up and not really something I could put with the keys. The full sized handset phone sat on a cradle with the electronics in the back; it was kind of big.
                              Last edited by Pete; January 22nd, 2014, 09:20 AM.
                              - Pete

Auto mator
                              HS4 Lite -

Comment

Working...
                              X