Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Automobile Dash Cam - Anyone using them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the display (whether it be on the rearview mirror or otherwise) even needed for the intended purpose? Seems you'd never need to look at the live video. And the only time you'd need to replay would be 1. after an accident, which might be never, or 2. to test that your initial set-up is working (which you could do by, for example, downloading the recorded file).

Comment

Personally the MFG option of the mirror with display is a worthless toy being installed right now on said MFG automobiles. That it drains the battery when the automobile is off shows lack of foresight by the automobile MFG pushing an expensive option before they field test it.

I also had a similar issue that my dealer would not admit to relating to having to replace my battery 3 times the first year I owned my truck. The fourth time the battery went out; the dealer / MFG blamed the consumer where as in fact it related to a sticky bluetooth module and an upgrade to the firmware.

That said I had the opportunity over the last few years to do "ride alongs" with the local police department. The cams in the automobile recorded and offered the option of live streaming over the internet (cars were connected). I was impressed.
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.8X
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.8X
      HS4 Pro - V4.0.5.0 - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono 6.8X
      HS4 Lite -

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

How's the rearview nighttime visibility, in particular when you have a vehicle with headlights behind you on an otherwise dark road?

Comment

Never tested it with headlights behind me. I can manually look as my CarPC is running wintel; but never have. I still just glance to my mirrors when it goes on cuz I am still not use to it (after more than 10 years now). The fully optioned out with cams OEM stuff has front facing and side mounted cams (which is a bit much).

The above noted; its just at a good level back bumper for a good view. It would be utilized though if my kids (now grown) left their toys in the driveway. I was driving in Chicago today earlier. Maybe its just me; and age; but everyone seemed to be in a hurry. Yup it would would be advantageous to have one of those. I parked on a major road (North Avenue) and literally waited some 5 minutes to get out of the car for fear that I would get hit (my body) by a passing automobile. I should have jumped over to the passenger side to get out of the car.
          Last edited by Pete; January 24th, 2014, 06:13 PM.
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.8X
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.8X
          HS4 Pro - V4.0.5.0 - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono 6.8X
          HS4 Lite -

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

This site: http://dashcamtalk.com/ is interesting because it also has demo footage for a fairly large number of different dashcams.

Because it's hard to get trustworthy info on reliability, I'm trending toward finding a shop that sells, installs, and warranties both the dashcam and their installation on the theory that they would (hopefully) have motivation not to sell and install something unreliable.

Comment

Personally; maybe its due to age; but I prefer nothing at all obstructing my view on my windshield. That said I am OK with the OEM integration of cams into the HU of the cars.

My carpc's HU graphics are dull and boring and do not attract me; which is the way I want to keep it. (even though it does both audio and video and live TV and has internet access).
              - Pete

Auto mator
              HS4 Lite -

Comment

Here's a dramatic example

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...nt-truck-video
                Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
                HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF, Rain8Net+ | RFXCOM | QSE100D | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | X10: XTB-232, -IIR | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
                  I wonder which dashcam was used? The color seemed off, but aside from that the picture quality seemed decent enough (even after probably getting transcoded for the web).

Comment

I just saw a YouTube video from a G1W dashcam. Very impressive picture quality at a low price point.
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eo76bkytA3o
                    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF, Rain8Net+ | RFXCOM | QSE100D | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | X10: XTB-232, -IIR | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3

Comment

Uncle Michael - thank you.

Got one on Amazon Prime and a 16GB Class 4 (watch the review) card for under $61.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

~Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
                        I just saw a YouTube video from a G1W dashcam. Very impressive picture quality at a low price point.
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eo76bkytA3o
                        So far so good. Battery stinks (expected).
                        I need to figure out some the the settings because the manual sucks!

For the price I am quite happy.

Thank you, again.

~Bill

Comment

I'll be interested in your opinion after you've used it a bit. Might temp me to try one myself.

Comment

Day 1 - The daytime pictures are pretty good. 1080i. In MOV format. I'll wire it to the ignition, for now I just plug/unplug it. It uses a mini-USB but comes with a LONG cord. The suction cup mount is decent. It turns on and off and records automatically when the car adapter turns on and off. So far it does just what I want at a good price. I'd prefer a lipstick cam and a remotely monitored DVR but this is a real decent set up.

As far as the battery it is for running it for short times (up to 30 minutes maybe), but I think it is to keep it running a little while after you kill power to it if you wish.

~Bill

Comment

was searching for a specific thread and landed on this one...

so my oldest, when he hit 17, we bought him an 06 jeep wrangler... lifted on 33s.. was a nice ride. He made a left and got t-boned from a guy coming out of taco bell who never hit his brakes and nailed my son. my son crossed 2 lanes and got hit in the rear. NJ Sucky laws put my son at fault and full coverage insurance, at the time was so much, that the replacement jeep I almost bought him would of been $8500/y full coverage so didn't happen. My son could of been at fault but without video, I just don't know... and it bothers me.
                              the jeep was spun in 180 degrees and rolled on its side. he was fine.

sitting in the dunkin donuts line... 10 feet from a pickup in front of me. I look down to get my credit card out and I notice the pickup in front of me is backing up. I lay on the horn and he keeps coming... he bumps me. He looks in his rearview mirror and I throw my hands up. Put it in park and he pulls over. I look and the jeep is fine so I look up to tell him don't worry about it and HE IS GONE!!!!.
                              I could of called the cops, gave description and Dunkin (also shoprite there too) would have video.. but I just let it go and said.. time for cameras

I put a Thinkware x500 and flashed it with the x550 firmware to unlock a few features that is in the 500....
                              put a thinkware x770 in my son trailblazer (my gift to him)
                              both have front/rear cameras

my wifes jeep now needs a camera and going to get one soon...

I like how low profile the 770 is and the 800 series is what I'm most likely going to get for the wife.
                              I like and dislike the screen on the 500. nice at times but then not at others.
                              770 has wifi and you can transfer files to your cell which is nice as the 500 you need to pull memory card and get videos off

anyway... last winter there was a pickup with plow and salt spreader in front. SUV behind then me. While we were driving, the pickup went into a left turn lane, the suv and myself went to go past him... but he put his hazards on, dropped the plow and turned right, right into the suv!!!!! I was heading from one site at work to another, so I got out and gave the lady my cell number and told her I have video to call me.

an officer called me later and asked for it, to which I provided it. She txt me thanking me so much as you can clearly see he is at fault. He was screaming at her after I left... saying... why would you pass someone on the right when they have their turn signals on. what is wrong with her? why is she so dumb? she said he was going at it and she was so distraught. Now she is going to get cameras for both of their vehicles. she also wanted to repay me with a gift card for dinner to wherever I wanted and I refused.

just a month ago... there was a tractor trailer drifting over the lines... didn't seem like falling asleep or intoxicated but more of a n00b driver. they were in the middle lane so I went by on the right as I had to take the right lane anyway... and an impala behind me followed. Whelp the t-trailer put turn signal on and moved over and clipped the rear quarter of the car. Same deal. pulled over and gave cell number.

Later that day I get a txt... asking for the video as his wife hit her head on the side window from the incident and has a concussion and he too is injured from it... whelp his yanking of the steering is what did it, not the truck hitting him.. hah...

seems flickr is down so ill post one later... but thought id chime in...

I feel everyone needs cameras....
                              HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

My Garmin 'Drive 50' GPS has a dashcam built in. It's constantly recording, and in the event of a "bump" it automatically saves the video before and after the incident. I can also voice command it to "Save Video" at any time. There's also provision for an optional rear facing camera, which thinking about it, I really should have.
                                Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

Working...
                                X