New Pi 3 B+ POE hat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Pi 3 B+ POE hat

I finally received my order of the new POE hat for the Pi 3 B+. It is a very nice little device that only works with the Pi 3 B+.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4141b.JPG
Views:	618
Size:	149.9 KB
ID:	1249780

Name:	IMG_4143b.JPG
Views:	585
Size:	165.7 KB
ID:	1249781

It is designed to connect to a 4-pin header on the board. It also covers the GPIO pins, but does not connect through them.

Name:	IMG_4144b.JPG
Views:	682
Size:	194.2 KB
ID:	1249782

Name:	IMG_4146b.JPG
Views:	535
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	1249783

Name:	IMG_4147b.JPG
Views:	476
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	1249784

Name:	IMG_4150b.JPG
Views:	514
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	1249785

The device fits very tightly, but I don't understand their thinking on the GPIO pins. It would have been much better if they included the GPIO pins on the top of the board. There is a GPIO socket on the bottom of the POE hat. There are through holes on the POE hat, so a 40-pin header extension can be placed underneath, but this will raise the POE hat about 50% higher. As it is designed they really provided no access to the GPIO header.

I want to use these for my Z-Nets as soon as I figure out how I will get the Z-Wave daughtercard to connect to the header. I will also have to figure out how to move the Z-Net software to Stretch. I have enlisted some help in that regard.

I also will be using these as my Hyperion controllers for my holiday lighting. Again the GPIO headers are going to be a problem, but Hyperion only uses 3 of the pins.

On your 2nd picture, across the top - can you push a header through those holes?

Comment

Originally posted by zwolfpack View Post
      On your 2nd picture, across the top - can you push a header through those holes?
      Yes. As I wrote, "There are through holes on the POE hat, so a 40-pin header extension can be placed underneath". It would make the stack about 1/4" taller and double the gap from the processor to the cooling fan. You could use a stubby 4-pin extension (though a tall would work as there are through holes at this point as well) for the POE header and a long 40-pin extension for the GPIO.

Click image for larger version  Name:	4-pin.jpg Views:	1 Size:	9.9 KB ID:	1249805

Click image for larger version  Name:	40-pin.jpg Views:	1 Size:	11.0 KB ID:	1249806

I have both on order. Here is a shot using some 6-pin header extensions I had on hand.

Name:	IMG_4152b.JPG
Views:	478
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	1249810
      Last edited by randy; September 26, 2018, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Ahh, I see. I was hoping that you could engage a header from the top, but thinking about it, the connector on the hat would be too shallow for that .

Comment

For my Hyperion, I may just solder wires to ground (20), data (23) and clock (19). For the Z-Net GPIO, I will need to use header extensions. It is a shame I cannot find a lower profile header extension. Then the existing connector could be removed from the bottom of the POE hat and it would all fit using the supplied spacers.

I've checked Newark and Adafruit and haven't seen anything that will work.

It just doesn't seem like they thought this through, because a GPIO solution could have been built in.

Comment

Update. I received my headers and put together a prototype POE Z-Net replacement. Thanks to help from David (zwolfpack) I have been able to build a Raspbian Stretch version supporting the IP to serial for a GPIO card or USB dongle for Z-Net like function. Since I use DHCP reservations for IP addresses, there is no need for the configuration web pages of the Z-Net. I found a case and some board spacers that should let me package this thing up. I have tested it with the EZZee GPIO Z-Wave controller as well as a USB Smartstick+. Here are some pictures of how it all fits together. I will post pictures when I have it installed in a case. I will be using this case from the Pi Shop.

Name:	HighPi-71b.jpg
Views:	478
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	1250173

Here is the stack of the Pi 3 B+ + POE hat + GPIO card

Name:	IMG_4155b.JPG
Views:	472
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	1250174

Name:	IMG_4156b.JPG
Views:	483
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	1250175

Name:	IMG_4157b.JPG
Views:	456
Size:	178.3 KB
ID:	1250176

Name:	IMG_4160b.JPG
Views:	719
Size:	209.0 KB
ID:	1250177

Name:	IMG_4164b.JPG
Views:	463
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	1250178

Name:	IMG_4167b.JPG
Views:	463
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	1250179

Name:	IMG_4168b.JPG
Views:	465
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	1250180

Comment

Bravo! That looks like a great case for this project.

Comment

Looks slick.
                If you already have the znet you can use a POE adapter for about $10
                https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MDLUSE7

Comment

I have a number of those and the TP link version. I also have several Z-Nets using them. They work great. I am just trying to make a nice neat package. There is no rule that says if something is working, it cannot be improved upon

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
                    Update. I received my headers...
                    Randy,

What was the 40 pin header extension you found?

Thanks

-Gene

Comment

From Adafruit here.

Comment

Here is the case that I've been using. It should also fit the Rock64 with just a very minor mod. If you needed a hard drive you can fit one in. As far as mounting I just screw the VESA mount on the wall then slide the case on it. They make this in Black, White, Red and Clear. There are places I use the Clear so I can see the LEDs on an Amanation HAT.

Last edited by Timon; September 30, 2018, 08:05 AM.
                        HomeSeer Version: HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.548
                        Linux version: Linux auto 4.15.0-72-generic #81-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov 26 12:20:02 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
                        Number of Devices: 484 | Number of Events: 776

Enabled Plug-Ins: 3.0.0.13: AirplaySpeak | 2.0.61.0: BLBackup
                        3.0.0.70: EasyTrigger | 1.3.7006.42100: LiftMaster MyQ
                        4.2.3.0: mcsMQTT | 3.0.0.53: PHLocation2 | 0.0.0.47: Pushover 3P
                        3.0.0.16: RaspberryIO | 3.0.1.262: Z-Wave

Z-Net version: 1.0.23 for Inclusion Nodes
                        SmartStick+: 6.04 (ZDK 6.81.3) on Server

Comment

Just a quick update. There is a problem with the POE hat and USB current to the ports. It is being researched by the Pi foundation and they are close to a cure, but it is not published yet.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/v...?f=45&t=220984

http://linuxgizmos.com/refund-offere...-power-issues/

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/0...poe_hat_issue/

My first unit using a USB Smartstick+ drops communication every 2-20 minutes. I will have my cases today and will test with the GPIO Z-Wave card. Since this problem only affects USB, they should be fine.

Comment

I thought I would update this thread. I have all four built, installed and working for a couple of weeks. The Pi foundation sent me 5 more POE hats to replace the originals. They were modified with new filtering for the power supplies and are 100% reliable with a USB device such as a Smartstick+. The originals were fine in every other respect, just problems with USB power.

Since I am using the EZZee GPIO Z-Wave boards, I needed to get it all in one package that was too tall for the original Z-Net case. I used the ones in post 6 above. I used a 20-pin header for GPIO and some 6-pin headers (only using 4 pins) I already had on hand for POE. I purchased some 15mm and 10mm brass spacers from Amazon to build the board stacks. I used 4 15mm spacers between the Pi3B+ and the POE hat and a single 10mm between the POE hat and the EZZee GPIO board. The fit was too tight for the GPIO board, so I had to Dremel the end of the board just above the activity LED. Because the board had an etched Z-Wave antenna (I am guessing it is 1/4 wave) where I needed to remove material, I added a short pigtail of the same length as the etched section I removed. I soldered it to the PCB land and trimmed it to length.

Click image for larger version  Name:	aIMG_4185.JPG Views:	1 Size:	217.2 KB ID:	1254982

Then I built the assembly with spacers, taking just enough off of the 10mm spacer to make the GPIO board level.

Click image for larger version  Name:	aIMG_4183.JPG Views:	1 Size:	206.4 KB ID:	1254983

Click image for larger version  Name:	aIMG_4186.JPG Views:	1 Size:	106.2 KB ID:	1254984

Click image for larger version  Name:	aIMG_4179.JPG Views:	1 Size:	233.5 KB ID:	1254985

The case has ventilation holes in the bottom, but the top was solid. I cut a hole directly above the fan for exhaust out of the top. The newest Stretch release from the Pi foundation fully supports fan control on the hat. It works great, varying the speed according to temperature.

Click image for larger version  Name:	aIMG_4176.JPG Views:	1 Size:	213.2 KB ID:	1254986

Overall, I am very happy with the finished product. I used the same Sandisk and Samsung Micro SD cards, re-imaged with Stretch. Thanks to David (zwolfpack) for help with some details. They have been totally reliable and seem to stay very cool.

Click image for larger version  Name:	aIMG_4192.JPG Views:	1 Size:	116.1 KB ID:	1254987

Click image for larger version  Name:	aIMG_4193.JPG Views:	1 Size:	187.9 KB ID:	1254988

Click image for larger version  Name:	aIMG_4194.JPG Views:	1 Size:	111.8 KB ID:	1254989

Click image for larger version  Name:	aIMG_4195.JPG Views:	1 Size:	178.3 KB ID:	1254990

Click image for larger version  Name:	aIMG_4197.JPG Views:	1 Size:	207.8 KB ID:	1254991

Click image for larger version  Name:	aIMG_4200.JPG Views:	1 Size:	156.9 KB ID:	1254992
                            Last edited by randy; October 24, 2018, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
                              Just a quick update. There is a problem with the POE hat and USB current to the ports. It is being researched by the Pi foundation and they are close to a cure, but it is not published yet.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/v...?f=45&t=220984

http://linuxgizmos.com/refund-offere...-power-issues/

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/0...poe_hat_issue/

My first unit using a USB Smartstick+ drops communication every 2-20 minutes. I will have my cases today and will test with the GPIO Z-Wave card. Since this problem only affects USB, they should be fine.
                              Hi Randy, here is an article I came across regarding the POE Hat. Not sure you read it, and I'll admit I didn't read your articles yet (duplicate?), but thought I would share this one too.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/poe-hat-revision/

Comment

Working...
                              X