No announcement yet.

New Pi 3 B+ POE hat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes I wrote about it above. The first boards would not provide USB power to a smartstick. They sent me 5 of the modified boards which work with USB power.
    Randy Prade
    Aurora, CO
    Prades.net

PHLocation - Pushover - EasyTrigger - UltraECM3 - Ultra1Wire3 - Arduino

Comment

Originally posted by NetworkGuy View Post

Hi Randy, here is an article I came across regarding the POE Hat. Not sure you read it, and I'll admit I didn't read your articles yet (duplicate?), but thought I would share this one too.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/poe-hat-revision/

Thank you NetworkGuy for that info. I cancelled my order on Amazon UK, https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07GR9XQ...740111_TE_item The seller seems to be hiding that revision fact from view!
      So went I for these : https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07JPXR9...740111_TE_item They have pass through GPIO pins! The only thing I will miss is the fan. (You can put one on the case) : These too have bad reviews in operating terms

Edit : back to the drawing board!

Eman.
      Devil's Advocate.

Comment

Originally posted by Eman View Post

Thank you NetworkGuy for that info. I cancelled my order on Amazon UK, https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07GR9XQ...740111_TE_item The seller seems to be hiding that revision fact from view!
        So went I for these : https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07JPXR9...740111_TE_item They have pass through GPIO pins! The only thing I will miss is the fan. (You can put one on the case) : These too have bad reviews in operating terms

Edit : back to the drawing board!

Eman.
        Hi Eman, you're welcome. However, that link was mostly informational. I remember Randy's post about his POE Hat troubles, so when I read this article today, thought I would share for background information. As I understand it, all cards have been fixed, and a new design for the Hat corrected the initial issues found. It seems safe to say all POE Hats sold today should work without issue. My apologies if I added any confusion to the discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by NetworkGuy View Post
          Hi Eman, you're welcome. However, that link was mostly informational. I remember Randy's post about his POE Hat troubles, so when I read this article today, thought I would share for background information. As I understand it, all cards have been fixed, and a new design for the Hat corrected the initial issues found. It seems safe to say all POE Hats sold today should work without issue. My apologies if I added any confusion to the discussion.
          Sure! I think I will have source them from here : https://thepihut.com/products/raspbe...hernet-poe-hat And thanks again.

Eman.
          Devil's Advocate.

Comment

All of the official Pi POE hats in the chain since November are good. It was just the first batch in October that had the problems. Even the ones with problems only had an issue with supplying power to the USB ports. I am still using the unmodified ones I got in my first batch for my Z-Nets since they use a GPIO interface for the Ezzee Z-Wave cards. They have been working fine for more than 6 months.
            Randy Prade
            Aurora, CO
            Prades.net

Comment

Looks a great case for this project!

Comment

Warning to everyone doing this at home.... You can't just transfer the SD-Card from an original Z-Net, you have to start from scratch (information is on the forum if you search).

Same concept as Randy (thanks for all your hard work and showing it can be done!) but slightly different approach....

I wanted to keep the case as short / small as possible to mimic the stock look so rather than modifying the antenna / Z-Wave board I chose to modify the PI.

For those out there with limited availability to soldering tools, this case is nice in that it is wide enough to accommodate the Z-Wave board and it comes with three 10mm risers (for the case itself) so you can go with Randy's approach and not have to cut / modify the Z-Wave board.
                The case (modular case by ModMyPi) also comes with port covers but I only ended up using the SD-Card cover.

I did cut the extended headers about 2-3mm to get the Z-Wave board somewhat level, it will fit in the case without doing that, but it was more of an personal preference.
                The LED on the Z-Wave board is painfully bright, so I only drilled a 1/16" hole in the case as it would A) "hide" any misalignment of my hole and B) soften the light a bit.
                I used 10mm standoffs as that's what I could find with reasonable delivery time 8mm is too short for the POE board (comes with 9mm).
                I think 9mm standoffs throughout would have been perfect but 10mm is close enough.

De-soldering the headers is fairly straight forward, it's only the ground pins 6 and 9 that are stubborn (#9 in particular) and as a novice I recommend using ChipQuick de-solder solder as that makes life easier (just watch out for the small surface mounts next to pin 9.

I did not cut a hole for the fan (yet) as I wanted that stock look and the case has a few small slots that I hope will give enough air into / out of the case.
                So far the temp is ~45-50 degrees, so I actually had to lower the temp where the fan kicks in (from 55 to 45) just to see / make sure it works.

pi@:~ $ vcgencmd measure_temp
                temp=50.5'C

Installed and running...

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190411_132753.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	1298478

22.85mm headers from Pololu (Item # 1115)

Name:	20190411_124711.jpg
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	1298477

It fits perfectly inside the case, "Modular Case" by ModMyPi

Name:	20190411_131003.jpg
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	1298479

Name:	20190411_131129.jpg
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	1298480

Comment

@mr.Magoo this is totally awesome

Comment

That would be on of my project when i'll move to my own house.

Comment

All 4 of mine have been flawless since I built them. Not one disconnect, Z-Wave error or other hiccup.
                      Randy Prade
                      Aurora, CO
                      Prades.net

Comment

Originally posted by mr.Magoo View Post
                        Warning to everyone doing this at home.... You can't just transfer the SD-Card from an original Z-Net, you have to start from scratch (information is on the forum if you search).

Same concept as Randy (thanks for all your hard work and showing it can be done!) but slightly different approach....

I wanted to keep the case as short / small as possible to mimic the stock look so rather than modifying the antenna / Z-Wave board I chose to modify the PI.

For those out there with limited availability to soldering tools, this case is nice in that it is wide enough to accommodate the Z-Wave board and it comes with three 10mm risers (for the case itself) so you can go with Randy's approach and not have to cut / modify the Z-Wave board.
                        The case (modular case by ModMyPi) also comes with port covers but I only ended up using the SD-Card cover.

I did cut the extended headers about 2-3mm to get the Z-Wave board somewhat level, it will fit in the case without doing that, but it was more of an personal preference.
                        The LED on the Z-Wave board is painfully bright, so I only drilled a 1/16" hole in the case as it would A) "hide" any misalignment of my hole and B) soften the light a bit.
                        I used 10mm standoffs as that's what I could find with reasonable delivery time 8mm is too short for the POE board (comes with 9mm).
                        I think 9mm standoffs throughout would have been perfect but 10mm is close enough.

De-soldering the headers is fairly straight forward, it's only the ground pins 6 and 9 that are stubborn (#9 in particular) and as a novice I recommend using ChipQuick de-solder solder as that makes life easier (just watch out for the small surface mounts next to pin 9.

I did not cut a hole for the fan (yet) as I wanted that stock look and the case has a few small slots that I hope will give enough air into / out of the case.
                        So far the temp is ~45-50 degrees, so I actually had to lower the temp where the fan kicks in (from 55 to 45) just to see / make sure it works.

pi@:~ $ vcgencmd measure_temp
                        temp=50.5'C

Installed and running...

Name:	20190411_132753.jpg
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	1298478

22.85mm headers from Pololu (Item # 1115)

Name:	20190411_124711.jpg
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	1298477

It fits perfectly inside the case, "Modular Case" by ModMyPi

Name:	20190411_131003.jpg
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	1298479

Name:	20190411_131129.jpg
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	1298480

Apologies in advance for my ignorance, what are the advantages of building a Z-Net? I assume it would be less expensive than buying them from HS but are there other advantages? Adding POE is an upgrade to the HS version.

Is this a project that someone new to building electronics could do?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                        HS3 3.0.0.500 &HSTouch Designer 3.0.71 with 782 Devices, 479 Events
                        Plugin's:
                        BLBackup, BLOccupied, BLShutdown, EasyTrigger, Ecobee,
                        EnvisaLink DSC, PHLocation, Pushover, SONOS, Blue Iris, UltraRachio3,
                        weatherXML, Jon00 Alexa Helper, Network Monitor, Z-Wave 3.0.1.252

Comment

Originally posted by The Profit View Post
                          Apologies in advance for my ignorance, what are the advantages of building a Z-Net? I assume it would be less expensive than buying them from HS but are there other advantages? Adding POE is an upgrade to the HS version.

Is this a project that someone new to building electronics could do?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's definitely not less expensive (not in my case anyway) since I bought two Z-Net's from Homeseer originally.
                          For me it was the appeal of having built in POE, v.s. an external solution. Plus the whole "understanding how it works" challenge as well.

[EDIT] And while you could get a Z-WaveMe, or an USB stick, or other methods to make your own Z-Net... I personally like the HS3 version, I just want built in POE and with that I probably would have done the same thing all over again had I not had bought the Z-Nets already. [/EDIT]

You can not add the Raspberry POE hat to the HS version as it's a Pi B (non plus) which doesn't support the OEM hat.
                          You could add a 3rd party hat or an external adapter, but then you're back to something that isn't as clean as the OEM version and that wasn't an alternative for myself.

Comment

Working...
                          X