Rs232 to Cellphone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rs232 to Cellphone

anybody have any experience using your android phone as a Serial Terminal to interface with the console port of Cisco Routers? I’ve seen it done before, they were using a Micro USB connected to their phone. I assume they had a Data Terminal app. And then I’d like to try going a step farther and try using a Bluetooth Rs232 adapter connected to the phone via Bluetooth. Does anybody have any experience with any of this? Thanks

I used to do something like that with the old Palm PDA in the 1990's. Recently tried and was successful turning the RPi (with wireless) in to a mini terminal server.

- Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.8X
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.8X
    HS4 Pro - V4.0.5.0 - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono 6.8X
    HS4 Lite -

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

Well I ordered a USB-C Go Cable which has a USB female to butt into my USB to Serial adaptor. I’m not sure that’s going to work because that thing (usb-serial) needed drivers for windows. I also ordered a Serial Bluetooth adaptor which may have a higher chance of actually working which would be better than cabling. We shall see.

Comment

Thinking the USB to Serial drivers are built in to Android similiar to the built in drivers for Linux.

IOGear - GBC232 A is a 9 Pin to Bluetooth serial module which should work. It needs to be used with a 7.5 VDC power adapter.

- Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.8X
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.8X
        HS4 Pro - V4.0.5.0 - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono 6.8X
        HS4 Lite -

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

Alright, so I have a report. It was fairly easy to get connected using the On The Go USB cable to my Android SS S9. The hardest part was I had to go through 5 or so apps before I found a good one I liked and could actually get it to work. It’s Serial USB Terminal by Kai Morich.
          but holy crap, good luck getting the Bluetooth Serial Adapter to work. I ordered two one is Serialio with internal battery, (they have another version with AAA removable battery had I known I would have gotten instead. But anyways, I can pair to the device, but the incoming text is jibberish as usual if there’s a baud rate, or text or whatever 10 different reasons in the settings you have wrong. I never could get it to work, and I downloaded probably 3-4 different apps, and the one that I tried the most with is made by the same guy who made the USB app called Serial Bluetooth Terminal.
          i also ordered a IO Gear Bluetooth Serial Adapter, and played with it and was seeing jibberish text just like the other unit. The IOGear is easier to play with because it has a config SW whereas the Blue Snap you have to find and do some serial commands to change parity and baud and whatever.
          I’m not a wizard with serial connections, I’ve just logged into a lot of stuff and know a little bit. If someone can give some insight in why Bluetooth Serial isn’t working, I’d be all ears, but to me Serial is old tech, and I’m sure Mr Fitzsimmons (my yoda) has passed by now.

Pete, I’ll send you the IO gear if you want to try getting it to work if you have something with a craft port.
          im working with an Overture 1400, and I can’t actually find the pin out of the craft port, but I’m using the same cable I used with the USB connection.

Comment

Thank you tome10 for your offer.

Yeah here have not played or used Cisco routers / switches in a few years now.

Try a blue Cisco cable to the craft port (thinking they are all the same and follow the Cisco standard these days) with a serial to USB cable to a laptop to test then the powered bluetooth cable. Thinking you can still purchase those little RS-232 testers with LEDs on them.

Recently purchased long range serial modems (8K) from China. I could not get them to work. They had regular looking RS-232 ports. No diagrams.

On a lark purchased a cross connect gender changer and all was fine afterwards.

Relating to serial connnectivity always have preferred using the "wire" methodologies. That is me.

The "bus" on automobiles and planes is still today serially based and bit more elaborate than it was years ago.

Recently (and have for a while now) use direct serial ports on little ESP based WiFi devices to modify them. (and wireless lately). While the wireless works I trust the wire more.

Thinking too with cell phones vendors have modded the kernels on these phones to make it more difficult to use them serially (wired or bluetooth). It was so easy on earlier cell phones to do this. Last one I tried I needed to short a trace by the battery in order to enable an in or out serial connection to work.
            - Pete

Auto mator
            HS4 Lite -

Comment

Working...
            X