Older Samsung TV ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Older Samsung TV ?

Not sure if this belongs out here or not, but I have an older Samsung Plasma model HP-S5053 that we’ve recently moved down to our basement. I’d like to hook it up to a receiver down so the sound can be output to speakers we have down there. As I was messing with hooking up the optical out from the set to the receiver, I went into the settings of the TV to change the output from the internal speakers to the optical out and I noticed that the menu item for this is greyed out. It’s under “Sound Select”.

Any one have any ideas on how to address this? Perhaps getting into service mode or something else? I’m assuming it’s always been like this as we never used it other than with its own internal speakers.

Any help would be appreciated.

It is possible that the option is only active when the TV senses an optical cable is plugged in.

You might try factory resetting the TV.

What cables are hooked up to the TV?

Comment

Originally posted by drhtmal View Post
      It is possible that the option is only active when the TV senses an optical cable is plugged in.
      If it's the same as my Samsung (newer model, but whatever) then not only cable plugged in but also receiver turned on, otherwise the option is unavailable.

Comment

Yeah, I thought of that, and tried to start the set with the optical cable plugged in. Doesn’t seem to make a difference and the option is still greyed out. I know that the cable works as it does the job when coming out of a cable box or blu ray player.

But, now I have done something stupid. I got into the service mode, tried to do a reset, and now when the tv restarts it has a blank screen and seems to be unresponsive or maybe even turns off. Hard to tell.

Not a big loss, but it was moved down into the basement, and being that it’s about 14 years old it weighs over 100lbs.

In any case, thanks for the help guys!

Comment

Working...
        X