KILL a frozen program in Windows 10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KILL a frozen program in Windows 10

I have moved Virtual Weather Station from XP to Win 7 and now to Win10, and am quite satisfied with it, but after moving to Win 10, it freezes unpredictably. (I found a suspect DLL and fixed it, but only time will tell if that was the cause of the freezing.)

When it freezes, it just stops. There is no CPU usage and there are no errors in Event Viewer. The 'X' in its window turns red when the mouse is over it, but it will not terminate the program. End Task in Task Manager has no effect either. The only way I can restart it is to reboot the computer, and sometimes that hangs as well and I have to long press the power button to finish the shutdown. (Restart hangs; the PC has to be shut down completely and restarted.)

In case I haven't solved the problem, are there any other techniques or tools that can be used to kill a running program?
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF, Rain8Net+ | RFXCOM | QSE100D | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | X10: XTB-232, -IIR | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3

search and download procexp - it's pretty powerful...
    HS3Pro Running on a Raspberry Pi3
    64 Z-Wave Nodes, 168 Events, 280 Devices
    UPB modules via OMNI plugin/panel
    Plugins: Z-Wave, BLRF, OMNI, HSTouch, weatherXML, EasyTrigger
    HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 Joggler

Comment

KILL a frozen program in Windows 10

@Rmasonjr is right, Sysinternals' process explorer is a great tool for seeing the meat behind processes. You can kill processes or even see the dell files associated with the process IRT. it even breaks apart your RAM And page file usage.

Also, you should be able to open an elevated command prompt and enter kill /f PID

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sounds like just what I was looking for. (I had the feeling that such a tool existed, and probably even used an earlier version of it years ago. )
        Thanks.
        Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
        HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF, Rain8Net+ | RFXCOM | QSE100D | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | X10: XTB-232, -IIR | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3

Comment

Working...
        X