PFSense Firewall Group purchase interest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pete:
    Thanks. pfSense with Snort is working fine for me, I think. I am getting an alert frequently regarding DNSBL: Unresolvable destination port alias 'pfB_DNSBL_Ports' for rule 'pfB_DNSBL_Permit'. I have not been able to figure it out yet. By the way, do you know Fing (www.fing.com). They have both a smartphone and a desktop version, which I have found very useful.
    Elliott

Comment

• DNSBL: Unresolvable destination port alias 'pfB_DNSBL_Ports' for rule 'pfB_DNSBL_Permit'.

Reading about my issue here and the cloud fare 1.1.1.1 DNS entry I saw that shutting off the switch in PFblocker for DNSBL firewall rules did get rid of an error similiar to mine but it did not work for me. I did leave it disabled.

Are you using IPv6?

The switch to disable it is at Firewall / PFBlockerNG / DNSBL. I am also using the default DNS Resolver settings here.

What DNS entries is in your base?

Here using 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 and originally 1.1.1.1 (#3) and the Google IPv6 DNS entry (which I do not remember anymore).

- Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.8X
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.8X
      HS4 Pro - V4.0.5.0 - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono 6.8X
      HS4 Lite -

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

• Thank you Elliot.

Yes here have a Fing box still in the box.

I was asked to help moderate and test product (born in Italy) way back. I did for a bit. Managing was done in the UK (the swede) then MFG was done in Taiwan; similiar to the Almond plug.

I quit helping cuz I do not utilize my cell phone that much and fellow moderator / obi wan passed away (well it was a freak logger accident) and I didn't want to be the only one doing this. Note this was way in the begining.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.8X
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.8X
        HS4 Pro - V4.0.5.0 - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono 6.8X
        HS4 Lite -

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

• Originally posted by Pete View Post
          Thank you Elliot.

Yes here have a Fing box still in the box.

I was asked to help moderate and test product (born in Italy) way back. I did for a bit. Managing was done in the UK (the swede) then MFG was done in Taiwan; similiar to the Almond plug.

I quit helping cuz I do not utilize my cell phone that much and fellow moderator / obi wan passed away (well it was a freak logger accident) and I didn't want to be the only one doing this. Note this was way in the begining.
          Interesting. I do not have the Fing box, but do use the software. The Fing box seems to be a light-weight version of pfSense. Elliott

Comment

• There are a few Homeseer users on the forum here that use the Fing Box.

Thinking too here last night I was playing with PFSense whicle concurrently watching a movie and I started to pay more attention to the movie rather than PFSense.

Now rambling....

Yesterday we checked out / signed up a few big box grocery stores for delivery / pick up of food items. I noticed that the DB's were messed up and Sandy noticed that it was a very limited selection. So we gave up. That and here locally they have closed a few Amazon Warehouses and deliveries have been extended to over a month now...

Today we are grocery shopping and currently planning lists. It is bad out there as yesterday went to a local gas station to buy milk and they changed the inside of the gas station putting plastic barriers in front of the registers and put lines on the floor for standing 6 feet apart from the person in front of you. I dread for Sandy what the grocery stores looks like today. She will not let me shop and last time I did we did a Skype call from beginning to end. I am just the driver IE: driving Ms Daisy.

- Pete

Auto mator
            HS4 Lite -

Comment

• Got caught up in IPv6 hello last night. Changed one setting then there was no IPv6 connectivity.

Thinking that Snort hasn't worked since I implemented IPv6 and that was when I upgraded to an Arris (Motorola SB6190) last year?

I do not see anything obvious in my Snort external IP list that would trigger Snort not work. Will keep checking.
              - Pete

Auto mator
              HS4 Lite -

Comment

Got caught up in IPv6 hello last night. Changed one setting then there was no IPv6 connectivity.

Thinking that Snort hasn't worked since I implemented IPv6 and that was when I upgraded to an Arris (Motorola SB6190) last year?

I do not see anything obvious in my Snort external IP list that would trigger Snort not work. Will keep checking.
                Okay, educate me. I have ignored IPv6, because I don't understand the need for it. I don't see where it is an option for Snort and with a quick search, I found that it is enabled and can't be disabled. I am not blocking anything yet in Snort, but I am getting lots of alerts on WAN and LAN. No alert is worrisome (lots of "NO CONTENT-LENGTH OR TRANSFER-ENCODING IN HTTP RESPONSE" on WAN and "TOO MANY PIPELINED REQUESTS" on LAN - not sure what these mean). Elliott

Comment

• Okay, educate me. I have ignored IPv6, because I don't understand the need for it

Because I can if that makes any sense...

Googling...

The IPv6 protocol can handle packets more efficiently, improve performance and increase security. It enables internet service providers to reduce the size of their routing tables by making them more hierarchical.

I don't see where it is an option for Snort and with a quick search, I found that it is enabled and can't be disabled.

Yes there is no option in Snort to shut off iPV6. Only way is to disable iPv6 on the WAN link.

What you see is just traffic that hits your WAN link. Enabling blocking will up the CPU utilization. If you have no ports open on PFSense then it is a non issue.

You can watch the bots if you enable SSH with a long password and tweak out the SSH server such that one bad password shuts it off for 30 minutes or so.

Within seconds that you open the port you will get attempts to log in to the SSH server.

Here utilize an IPSec VPN and only call home via VPN (smartphone, tablet or laptop). I set up the same server / PFSense on families networks for access / support.

If you open Homeseer web server to the internet you will see many bots trying to get in.

Bots are software running on computers.

Bots, or Internet robots, are also known as spiders, crawlers, and web bots. While they may be utilized to perform repetitive jobs, such as indexing a search engine, they often come in the form of malware. Malware bots are used to gain total control over a computer.

Years ago with first cable ISPs the cable companies would leave the routers open with default passwords assuming that no one would ever look.
                  - Pete

Auto mator
                  HS4 Lite -

Comment

• "Okay, educate me. I have ignored IPv6, because I don't understand the need for it

Because I can if that makes any sense..." I totally get this.

I understand the improvements with IPv6, but I don't think that I have any IOT devices that use it (or maybe I just don't know).

Regarding open ports, I have not opened any on pfSense. I do have the server port set in HS, but I am not seeing attempts to get in. If there should be attempts by bots, then I must not have things configured correctly.

By the way, I migrated HS3Pro to the Qotom that I got on eBay. Seems to be working well, so far. Elliott

Comment

• Good news on the Qotom computer. It's a tiny marvel computer.
                      - Pete

Auto mator
                      HS4 Lite -

Comment

• Now you got me wanting to get same Qotom for myself.

Here have two HS3 builds; one lite and one heavy and currently using the BeeLink for the lite build.

The Homeseer Lite build is not really that lite other than the BeeLink BT3 Pro. It is running Homeseer 3, Home Assistant in Docker, Node Red, Mosquitto server and Oracle Virtual box for speech stuff and other Windows only stuff. BUT it is not a firewall.

On the panel side of the basement built a tiny firewall which resides inside of my Omni Pro media can. I cannot run much on the small firewall. It is a pin hole though to my OmniPro 2 panel. If I change over to using the Qotom computer I will be able to run everything like the HS3 lite computer and a firewall for the panel.
                        - Pete

Auto mator
                        HS4 Lite -

Comment

• Just checked and he sold them all...

BTW did find a source for the mounting plates in the UK....from another vendor of Qotom there....

- Pete

Auto mator
                          HS4 Lite -

Comment

Just checked and he sold them all...

BTW did find a source for the mounting plates in the UK....from another vendor of Qotom there....
                            Yup. All sold.

Comment

• Found a used 4 port Qotom with an i5. Seller though wants almost new price which really isn't a deal at all.

The Beelink is smaller though and you added a second NIC via USB eh? So maybe should go in that direction.

The current OmniPro 2 firewall is a micro travel router that is about 2" X 1" inch. Smallest one I could find. I have run MQTT stuff on it using Python in OpenWRT running on it. It is just too small of a CPU / RAM to be able to do anything else.
                              - Pete

Auto mator
                              HS4 Lite -

Comment

Found a used 4 port Qotom with an i5. Seller though wants almost new price which really isn't a deal at all.

The Beelink is smaller though and you added a second NIC via USB eh? So maybe should go in that direction....
                                That is correct. My pfSense is running on Beelink Mini PC BT3 Pro with EDUP Network Adapter USB 3.0 to Ethernet RJ45 LAN Gigabit Adapter. Elliott

Comment

Working...
                                X