No announcement yet.

PFSense Firewall Group purchase interest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our dialog this morning got me looking on Ebay earlier today. Picked up two used Qotoms 4 NIC port (for the price of one).

This will work better for my new combo mini-box for HS4 Lite. I can utilize the extra ports for the Virtual boxes.

Still wanted to match my current PFSense box with 6 ports on it. (2 WAN and 4 LAN).

- Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.12.X - HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.12.X
    HS4 Pro - V4.1.11.0 - Ubuntu 20.01/VB W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono
    HS4 Lite -

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
      Our dialog this morning got me looking on Ebay earlier today. Picked up two used Qotoms 4 NIC port (for the price of one).

This will work better for my new combo mini-box for HS4 Lite. I can utilize the extra ports for the Virtual boxes.

Still wanted to match my current PFSense box with 6 ports on it. (2 WAN and 4 LAN).

Good deal!

Comment

I have an old Hometroller Series III (XP imbedded with HS3Pro) that has been sitting on a shelf for years. It still works. I am going to repurpose it and I am thinking of using it as a backup for my pfSense, which has been working fine on a Beelink, or for HSPhone, when I upgrade to HS4. It is dual NIC and has sufficent processor speed and RAM for pfSense. I would be interested in people's thoughts. Thanks. Elliott

Comment

Lost the deal on the two Qotoms above after I paid for them; got an instant refund and the seller said they were not available.

What CPU does it have? How much RAM?

Last generation of PFSense boxes I used here had Core Duo CPUs with maximum of 4 Gb. Same too with Atom based D525's with 4Gb of RAM. These worked OK. They are BCM motherboards. I kept them as hot spares here. The both have dual NICs and quad port NIC cards in a 1 U case mini media style. These are sitting on the rack here as they are too large for the media cans panel wall.
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.12.X - HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.12.X
          HS4 Pro - V4.1.11.0 - Ubuntu 20.01/VB W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono
          HS4 Lite -

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

Lost the deal on the two Qotoms above after I paid for them; got an instant refund and the seller said they were not available.

What CPU does it have? How much RAM?

Last generation of PFSense boxes I used here had Core Duo CPUs with maximum of 4 Gb. Same too with Atom based D525's with 4Gb of RAM. These worked OK. They are BCM motherboards. I kept them as hot spares here. The both have dual NICs and quad port NIC cards in a 1 U case mini media style. These are sitting on the rack here as they are too large for the media cans panel wall.
            Pete: Thanks.

From the manual on the Hometroller:

Control Unit Specifications
            Size: 9.25” W, 2” H, 7” D Processor: 1.6 GHz Intel ATOM Processor
            Storage 32 GB (SSD- standard) Fans: fanless
            Memory: 1 GB DDR2 OS: Embedded Windows XP (XPe)
            Serial Ports: 4 Video Out: SVGA,DVI
            USB Ports: 5 (4 rear, 1 front) Audio: Mic In / Line Out
            Network (2 port):10/100/1000 Ethernet PS/2 Keyboard and Mouse ports
            Power Supply: 100-240v – 50/60 Hz
            Certifications: UL, FCC, RoHS, CE

Comment

Thinking it should work with the 1.6 GHz Intel ATOM Processor. You might be able to upgrade the RAM to 2Gb. BSD PFSense runs on anything these days.

Tested an old Shuttle Netbook here with an Atom D525 / 2Gb of RAM (which has been in off mode now for many years) and it did work except that it only has one NIC and it is only 100Mb.

- Pete

Auto mator
              HS4 Lite -

Comment

Thinking it should work with the 1.6 GHz Intel ATOM Processor. You might be able to upgrade the RAM to 2Gb. BSD PFSense runs on anything these days.

Tested an old Shuttle Netbook here with an Atom D525 / 2Gb of RAM (which has been in off mode now for many years) and it did work except that it only has one NIC and it is only 100Mb.
                Thanks. I will see about upgrading RAM. I am upgrading the SSD drive. Elliott

Comment

Got this delivered today from purchase on eBay. I have installed pfSense on it as my backup for pfSense running on another computer. This computer is perfect for pfSense, but you need to get your own 2.5 inch drive (and cord to power the AC adapter)..

Dual Intel 82574L GbE Atom D2550 MiniITX Motherboard in Fanless Case and 2G RAM https://ebay.us/P7PrmP

Comment

Good price there Elliot!

Check out another hardware add to the PFSense box turning it in to an NTP server with PPS using a modded GPS. The only mode is taking the PPS signal to one pin on the RS-232 interface. Much more accurate time than the Internet.

The interest started in the 1990's tinkering with a flight vectoring program that ran on Unix computers in airport flight towers (Passur Aerospace). The GPS used was huge in it's own dedicated room and was all chrome looking like a 1955 Caddy which resembled something from Flash Gordon movies.

My original set up used a Trimble GPS (very slow) from a dual configuration on a tank (military surplus) in the 1990's. Then went to a Sure GPS which is still running today and most recently went to a more modern GPS with many programming features for under $20. The original GPS antenna was mounted on the chimney then moved it to the attic and now using it in the basement window with a s/w exposure. Gets 11 satellites and using 5 for time sync. You cannot utiize a USB GPS for this and it must be an RS-232 to 9 pin RS-232 port on the computer firewall.

Check out this little blog I wrote in 2013.

Anyone using PFSense as a firewall?

- Pete

Auto mator
                    HS4 Lite -

Comment

Just a quickie post here relating to using my new CPE in failover mode for PFSense using IP6.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CPE-IP6.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	1466751

Click image for larger version

Name:	cpeWAN.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	1466752
                      - Pete

Auto mator
                      HS4 Lite -

Comment

Working...
                      X