No announcement yet.

Windows 1809 surprise

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Windows 1809 surprise

    My Homeseer computer has been bugging me to install the latest feature update (1809). I haven't been anxious to do it because of the reported buggy initial rollout, but even with Win10 Pro, I could only delay it so long. So, I had some time to babysit and decided to cross my fingers and see what happened. To my surprise the update went pretty smoothly, and HS restarted automatically - apparently without issue. Until. . .

    I noticed that some behaviors were a bit unusual, and the log was quickly filling with errors. It took some exploring, but before long I decided to check on the serial port settings for one plug-in that was clearly not working. To my shock, nearly every serial port assignment had changed! (That included two Edgeport converters and my PCS USB-PIMU.)
    Not only that, several ports were assigned the two serial interfaces!!???
    Of course, I did not have an up-to-date record of the port assignments and settings, but was able to recreate the proper assignments with a bit of effort.
    After that, a computer reboot got me back in business.

    The surprise was the what made it difficult. Had I been expecting it, repairing the damage and getting underway again would have been only a minor maintenance task instead of a crisis.

    Am posting this in the hopes that it will help someone else be prepared.

    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition, NUC i3

    HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

    Yep, had that twice now with Edgeport serial ports. I take a snapshot of the ports in device manager and just change them back to what they should be. The other annoyance is that my 32bit TTS voices get deleted and I have to reload them again.


      I also had the edgeport ports reassigned, didn't realize the timing was the Windows Update, but in thinking about the timing, it probably was.


        Just for balance, I'm running 1809 with cumulative update on two HS3 systems and both had no problems after update. On one of the systems, I have a serial port associated with an Insteon PLM but no problems were experienced.