Need advice on pfSense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need advice on pfSense

OK, here is my problem. My ISP has locked down all of their modems to the point that customers have absolutely NO access to the modem. ISP modem User/Passwords are changed daily and are not even available to technicians, even they have to call guru level tech support to get into the modem for configuration.

I just had a camera fail and to replace it I have to call them and be promoted however many times to guru level just to change an IR reservation. I've lost control of my network, so, basically, I'm about done messing with them.

My questions, then, are (1) can I set up pfSense working with the situation I have and get it configured and working before I have them bridge the modem and (2) how difficult will it be to reconfigure the WAN settings to use the newly bridged modem?

Or, does someone have a better idea?
    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.500
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro - Work Station

Enabled Plug-Ins:
    2.1.0.119: AmbientWeather | 3.0.21.0: BLLock | 2.0.24.0: BLUPS | 1.3.6.0: Device History | 3.0.0.56: EasyTrigger | 3.1.0.7: MeiHarmonyHub | 3.0.6681.34300: UltraCID3 | 3.0.6644.26753: UltraLog3 | 3.0.6554.33094: UltraMon3 | 3.0.0.91: weatherXML | 3.0.1.245: Z-Wave | 3.0.51: HS Touch Designer | 3.0.0.40 Z-Seer+

Question 1 - yes

Question 2 - depends on your abilities.

Using your own router is the best solution.

Comment

I have a similar setup with my ISP's Fiber ONT modem. My pfSense WAN port configuration is a simply set to use DHCP and plugged into the ONT's LAN port.

Comment

Have you considered buying your own modem? We have one location using Comcast and purchased our own modem. Saved $7/month so it paid for itself in less than a year. Second location is satellite based (Exede) so we have to use their modem. In second location, pfsense is installed just downstream of the satellite modem. It is running on a fanless mini-PC. Downstream to pfsense are three networks (trusted, guest, IOT) on 3 routers. All DHCP is handled by pfsense.

Comment

Agree with what drhtmal said. You can methodically setup any router behind your current ISP modem/router, no different if you bought one of those all-in-one consumer models from retail. You can then set it up to provide internal routing between different subnets and vlans in your home. Once you are confident everything is working, then have the ISP turn the modem into bridge mode as you stated, then your internal router then becomes the ISP's client when requesting an Internet facing IP address.

If you're not comfortable installing, configuring, etc something like pfSense then I highly recommend investing in a pro-sumer gateway model like from Ubiquiti.

Comment

Originally posted by logbuilder View Post
            Have you considered buying your own modem?
            Yes, actually I did and they have a list of compatible modems. I was excited! Then I started delving into the mice type. It seems that I can indeed own my own modem, but if I do, I lose cable TV and my landline, as they will ONLY support data on a consumer owned modem.

There is really more, too. They have come in and cobbled together wireless that 1/2 *ss sorta works using a mesh configuration with two nodes and an extra WAP. It still doesn't work well towards the back of the house. I need more access points, because the room where they installed the modem (before I bought the house) is an enclosed garage and is two steps lower than the rest of the house, frankly, it acts like a Faraday Cage anyway.

Enabled Plug-Ins:
            2.1.0.119: AmbientWeather | 3.0.21.0: BLLock | 2.0.24.0: BLUPS | 1.3.6.0: Device History | 3.0.0.56: EasyTrigger | 3.1.0.7: MeiHarmonyHub | 3.0.6681.34300: UltraCID3 | 3.0.6644.26753: UltraLog3 | 3.0.6554.33094: UltraMon3 | 3.0.0.91: weatherXML | 3.0.1.245: Z-Wave | 3.0.51: HS Touch Designer | 3.0.0.40 Z-Seer+

Comment

Originally posted by ewkearns View Post

Yes, actually I did and they have a list of compatible modems. I was excited! Then I started delving into the mice type. It seems that I can indeed own my own modem, but if I do, I lose cable TV and my landline, as they will ONLY support data on a consumer owned modem.

There is really more, too. They have come in and cobbled together wireless that 1/2 *ss sorta works using a mesh configuration with two nodes and an extra WAP. It still doesn't work well towards the back of the house. I need more access points, because the room where they installed the modem (before I bought the house) is an enclosed garage and is two steps lower than the rest of the house, frankly, it acts like a Faraday Cage anyway.
              This seems like total BS from them trying to keep you paying.
              There's no way you will lose your TV, the landline will be gone because it comes out of their modem.
              Best bet is still to buy your own but you can also put theirs in bridge mode as you said, and still keep the landline and TV.
              As for the wireless, run a cat5 up to the attic and install an access point on the ceiling in the top floor, should be way better that way.
              Use a POE injector to power it.

Comment

Sounds like your best solution would be to use the ISP gateway in bridge mode or whatever method your ISP uses to configure their gateway so that you can use your own router. Dump all the WiFi repeaters your ISP installed and install your own WiFi hardware.

This is a far more complex install so you will have to judge if it is worth your expense as well as if you have the technical experience to install, configure and maintain this setup.

Comment

I'm really adjusting to this concept. Anybody suggest a Ubiquity router.

Enabled Plug-Ins:

Comment

Originally posted by Demusman View Post

There's no way you will lose your TV, the landline will be gone because it comes out of their modem.
                    Best bet is still to buy your own but you can also put theirs in bridge mode as you said, and still keep the landline and TV.
                    As for the wireless, run a cat5 up to the attic and install an access point on the ceiling in the top floor, should be way better that way.
                    Thus, the angst of lack of competition, when ya got a monopoly in a small town....

Enabled Plug-Ins:

Comment

How do you know he would not lose TV without the ISP hardware?

My ISP provides fiber to my house. They require their ONT (A.K.A. modem/gateway for those not so technically adept) to provide TV, phone and Internet. I have my own router. Without the ISP provided ONT I would not have service. They do not offer service unless you have their ONT/gateway and you can't provide your own ONT hardware.

It may not be easy for the OP to simply run wire as you suggested. I am only speculating here but the reason the ISP cobbled together a solution with repeaters and extra access points is because it was not easy or cost effective to run wire.

Comment

Originally posted by drhtmal View Post

I am only speculating here but the reason the ISP cobbled together a solution with repeaters and extra access points is because it was not easy or cost effective to run wire.
                        So it's ok for you to speculate but not me?

Comment

So it's ok for you to speculate but not me?
                          Fair.

My speculation was about why the ISP added the repeaters and other hardware to make the WiFi work. I even prefaced my statement saying I was speculating.

It my be splitting hair but a statement like

Originally posted by Demusman;
                          There's no way you will lose your TV, the landline will be gone because it comes out of their modem...
                          Does not appear to be speculation. Regardless, this is all I have to say about this subject as I have clarified why I said what I said and will say no more.

Enjoy your day.

Comment

You do the same!

Comment

I use pfsense and my isp has their ont device configured in bridge.

works good!

Comment

Working...
                              X